Thread: Question - Big Fish or Small Fries

abostonboy

Question - Big Fish or Small Fries

For those who have an affiate program - do you prefer the big fish or the small fries?

From past experiences I have always had better luck dealing with webmasters that send a decent amount of traffic/signups on a regular basis than those who send a trickle here and there.

And I have actively pursued those.

What are your experiences?

BTW, I consider someone a big fish who can send at least 100 a month.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    I personally dont care one way or the other, its a trade off at the end of the day.

Its been my experience running the marketing side of one program and now owning my own program that those 'affiliates' who can send significant sales, are much more demanding from program owners this in turn, means that profits generated from these affiliates are much lower.

Its all a numbers game, you need to off-set the costs of the affiliates that can generate regular sales with affiliates that generate perhaps 1 or 2 sales a day or, even a week.

As i explained in an earlier reply, while ill take an affiliate, whether they can send 1 or 100 sales, i much prefer dealing with those affiliates who dont demand everything under sun, free content, hosting, galleries, free sites, traffic, higher payouts, the list goes on.

If, as a program, you base your profit levels on 1 or 2 affiliates that can send you 100+ sales in a week for example, what happens when those 1 or 2 affiliates decided that they want to send their traffic to a program paying them $75 per sale instead of 50-75% revshare?

Id much rather have 100 affiliates all generating 1 sale a week with no additional 'demands' from me than 2 affiliates sending 100 sales a week demanding everything under the sun.

Also, lets not forget, the dynamics of the industry have changed in the last 2 years, the amount of people who are able to send a steady flow of sales have dropped and, are already working with other companies who have given in to their demands and pay them what they think their traffic is worth.

99% of what we refer to as 'webmasters' these days, actually arent, they expect everything to be done for them, they want FHGs, they want free content, they want free hosting, they want you to build and submit sites for them, they want you to pay them $100 per trial join and, they want you to stick around and not close down any sites whilst regularly spending close to $5000 a month on exclusive content, feeds, contests on boards and all kinds of other things., they are freeloaders and, in my opinion, most of them are no better than TGP surfers.

The reality of it is, these are the 'webmasters' that can send 1 maybe 2 sales a day, if you are lucky and, these are the 'webmasters' we need to keep happy, get enough of them promoting your sites and you'll make more than what 10 'whales' could make you a month.

'Positive shaving' was invented for a reason. To attract as many of these 'webmasters' as possible.

Also, lets not forget, if you have 10 affiliates who can send you 100 sales a week who are getting paid $50 per sale, all it is going to take for you to lose those 1000 sales a week is another program to launch offering $75 per sale, then what are you stuck with?

The unfortunate thing in todays industry climate is that a new program launching offering everything under the sun plus the moon on a stick happens every couple of weeks.

So to answer your orginal question, ill accept any affiliate that wants to send Condom Cash sales but i prefer the ones that send me sales based on MY terms, not theirs because it makes my job a whole lot easier and thats how i prefer it LOL

Regards,

Lee

Togm
    Similar to Lee.... More to lose with bigger fish - so a balance.

abostonboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee
    I personally dont care one way or the other, its a trade off at the end of the day.
    Don't get me wrong, I like both.

Its been my experience running the marketing side of one program and now owning my own program that those 'affiliates' who can send significant sales, are much more demanding from program owners this in turn, means that profits generated from these affiliates are much lower.
    You seem unlucky. It takes me less time to create a banner than it does to go in and find a sale from a Ccbill affiliate and show him how to track his affiliate id to the signup page. And then explain to him that if the surfer bookmarked the page even though the number is not at the top, his code is still there.

As i explained in an earlier reply, while ill take an affiliate, whether they can send 1 or 100 sales, i much prefer dealing with those affiliates who dont demand everything under sun, free content, hosting, galleries, free sites, traffic, higher payouts, the list goes on.
    Maybe you are not a people person. That's what affiliate managers a for. I once told my affiliate rep at python that I wanted to market an obsure pooply designed gay site they had called wrestleme.com and asked if they could create a few banners. the rep had it done and over a year I sent 500 signups. Is that asking too much? BTW, If you know of a site in that niche let me know.

If, as a program, you base your profit levels on 1 or 2 affiliates that can send you 100+ sales in a week for example, what happens when those 1 or 2 affiliates decided that they want to send their traffic to a program paying them $75 per sale instead of 50-75% revshare?
    Basing your profit on just those is crazy. Find me a program paying out $75 on a regular basis. Sure some do on apecial occasions, but it's a loss just to get some traffic to them and away from the competition. And even those that do are going after the smaller webmasters as they ususally limit to s certain amount a da. So those that do that are going after the same customers you have, those generating a few a day at most.

I am not a big fan of the revshare model either as webmaster promoting a site or as a program owner.

Id much rather have 100 affiliates all generating 1 sale a week with no additional 'demands' from me than 2 affiliates sending 100 sales a week demanding everything under the sun.
    I'd much rather have a nice mix. From persoan experience i have always found that the 80/20 rule in business applies here as well. Just as we a workers in a company spend 20% of our time making 80% of our profits, the same is pretty much true of the webmasters. 20% will generate 80% of your sales. I forget who initially proposed this idea to coporate america.

Also, lets not forget, the dynamics of the industry have changed in the last 2 years, the amount of people who are able to send a steady flow of sales have dropped and, are already working with other companies who have given in to their demands and pay them what they think their traffic is worth.
    Umm... What is wrong with that. I will pay anyone what I think their traffic is worth. Survival of the fittest?

99% of what we refer to as 'webmasters' these days, actually arent, they expect everything to be done for them, they want FHGs, they want free content, they want free hosting, they want you to build and submit sites for them, they want you to pay them $100 per trial join and, they want you to stick around and not close down any sites whilst regularly spending close to $5000 a month on exclusive content, feeds, contests on boards and all kinds of other things., they are freeloaders and, in my opinion, most of them are no better than TGP surfers.

The reality of it is, these are the 'webmasters' that can send 1 maybe 2 sales a day, if you are lucky and, these are the 'webmasters' we need to keep happy, get enough of them promoting your sites and you'll make more than what 10 'whales' could make you a month.
    Now you really lost me! This 99% seems like they want a work!!! I thought you said the big fish were the ones with the demands, not the 99%.

Also, lets not forget, if you have 10 affiliates who can send you 100 sales a week who are getting paid $50 per sale, all it is going to take for you to lose those 1000 sales a week is another program to launch offering $75 per sale, then what are you stuck with?
    Be real, show me a site paying $75. And I never said I want JUST big fish. But seriously, lets say I can send 100 sales a week to my site on MY traffic. And let's say my traffic tests good so I launch the site. If I don't have a couple big whales that can send traffic from wherever they send it (a different source, obviously) how can I tets the traffic. Wait six months for the trckle of traffic I get from other webmasters to see what it does or longer?

So to answer your orginal question, ill accept any affiliate that wants to send Condom Cash sales but i prefer the ones that send me sales based on MY terms, not theirs because it makes my job a whole lot easier and thats how i prefer it LOL
    Just remember when you say that what type of profile you gave 99% of the webmasters and then said they are the ones that generate 1 or 2 sales a day. You are the type of competition I prey on.

blah blah blah...
    Also, lets not forget, if you have 10 affiliates who can send you 100 sales a week who are getting paid $50 per sale, all it is going to take for you to lose those 1000 sales a week is another program to launch offering $75 per sale, ...
    wow...who are these sites that are offering $50-75 per sales? the only one that i know of is RandyBlue who offers $55. let me know....i'd love to check out their site and consider promoting them

allan

blah blah blah...
    Quote Originally Posted by abostonboy
    Don't get me wrong...
    haha....i'm not even going to get into this mess

um...i don't think Lee was trying to be confrontational, abostonboy

abostonboy
    I didn't either. Just his reasoning makes no sense as he even admits in his post.

Paco
    I love 'em both (small & large) - it's the attitude, that some bring to the table, that I have issues with.