Thread: How do you deal...

Have an idea and make it come to life! Gary-Alan's Avatar

How do you deal...

with working from home?

Many of us work from a home office of some kind.

I've been doing this for years now and I still have the same problem I did when I first started... I can not concetrate when it's gorgeous outside.

We spend so much time working, that it seems we rarely leave the house... and on day's like today I just can't take it and the temptation is just run. In this case I'm going to give in and enjoy the day - rainy season is coming so we'll be inside a lot in the next couple of weeks.

Seriously, what are your work-a-day temptations? What makes you want to just get up and leave the office/house and 'finish it up, later'?

Talk to you soon,
    Gary-Alan

BDBionic
    What is this "outside" of which you speak?

Originally posted by BDBionic
    What is this "outside" of which you speak?
    I'm not sure either BDBionic -- think it's a niche market though ...

Big Hands/Big Feet=Expensive shoes & gloves!
    If you are a professional and serious about your business, you displine yourself to do the work that needs to be done when it needs to be done no matter how great the weather is outside.

It is that simple.

Jasun
    considering that outside for me is just piles and piles of snow and ice and crap and frozen mud and slush stop me anytime, no I have little problem staying in. My problem in the winter is wanting to do anything other than play with my dog.

In the summer, yes, I think last august I spent twn times more time than I should have sitting in coffee houses in the sun, slowing working on my lap top and occasionally just walking around.

And PLEASE don't tell me that I'm going down in the rainy season.

I shall cry.

Originally posted by Mansized
    If you are a professional and serious about your business, you displine yourself to do the work that needs to be done when it needs to be done no matter how great the weather is outside.

It is that simple.
    Mansized - You can also be human and have distractions/temptations. That's what this thread is about not whether it's professional or not to give in to them. Not everyone is a robot.

I used going out as an example for me. Besides, I do allow myself an hour lunch break and that's when I typically leave. A former colleague used to get hooked on MSNBC and could disappear for bit. Others had daytime TV issues. The work always got done, but there were always temptation or disctractions.

BDBionic
    I think for some people one of the advantages of working from home is the ability to detach oneself now and then and enjoy whatever presents itself during the day. You're operating on your own schedule and not confined to any sort of 9-5 arrangment.
    So if it's in the middle of the day that the gym is empty, that's when you go. Or if something came up the night before that kept you up late, you can get those extra couple hours of sleep. Or if you need to run and errand or want to get out and enjoy some time doing something else.
    You don't need to be tied down to your desk to have discipline. If you're running your own business, you probably already have some respect for what it takes to be doing well and you won't allow yourself to be distracted to the point of it hurting your business. If you do... well chances are you're not or won't last long self-employed. The system takes care of itself 8)

I found my biggest problem when I worked from home was friends being under the impression that because I worked from home, I was available any and all times of the day. Friends who were in school, for instance, and got out of class at noon would call and be like "let's hang out!" I was the designated "call him and as him if he can give me a ride/help me do this/do me a favor during the day guy". They constantly introduced distraction because they were under the impression that I had no schedule or set obligations during the day. And some were even a bit offended or hurt when I had to bluntly tell them that from 9-6, despite being at home, I was unavailable outside of emergencies.

And now? I come in to an office every day of the week to work. And my biggest problem is that I find myself working another 5-6 hours at my computer when I get home in the evening and doing nothing but working on the weekends. hehe

i'm a very focused person. i have never had a problem working from home. my problem is how to STOP working *grin*

Originally posted by basschick
    i'm a very focused person. i have never had a problem working from home. my problem is how to STOP working *grin*
    See that's our problem, too. So taking a few minutes out of the day to enjoy it seems more of a bad temptation for me - whether that's right or wrong.

GA

TheLegacy
    God = I am so use to being in small closets and not getting out

I do work from home, and am up faithfully at 9 am on the computer and dont really stop till midnight maybe for a bite ..

some nights I do head out for some fun, but this is my family, so I need to be in contact daily.. my icq is buzzing all the time

Big Hands/Big Feet=Expensive shoes & gloves!
    Originally posted by Gary-Alan
    Mansized - You can also be human and have distractions/temptations. That's what this thread is about not whether it's professional or not to give in to them. Not everyone is a robot.

I used going out as an example for me. Besides, I do allow myself an hour lunch break and that's when I typically leave. A former colleague used to get hooked on MSNBC and could disappear for bit. Others had daytime TV issues. The work always got done, but there were always temptation or disctractions.
    Hmmm...sounds like you do need a break from work Gary-Alan.
    If you think my post said or intimated you were a "robot", then there is a need indeed for some R&R time.

Sorry to hear you think I "hijacked" your thread. I guess I forgot that there is not to be any disagreement or posts that go outside of some sort of "rules boundary" (the text of which seems to be missing btw) that you have set up for this board. I mistakenly had the impression one could freely express what they thought & felt. Apparently that is not the case.

My point specifically was that those who are and will be successes in this business sometimes have to make sacrifices they othewise would not make for something less important. I too have distractions and interruptions. And I neither consider myself a robot or "inhuman". There are just many times that despite the pressure to do otherwise, I DO bite the bullet and work instead of play. And there are times I play instead of work. But I have learned that in MOST cases, I need to stay focused and get those things accomplished which makes my business successful.

So, having said all of the above, and sensing quite (and this has not been the first time btw) a bit of flak from the board's ownership, I have decided that I do not want to cause you anymore mental anguish..because I can see that it is very distracting from important business on here.

Adios.

Mansized - dude, are you in our reality? there is not the slightest indication from G-A's post that you shouldn't disagree with the "rules". he simply gave his opinion on your post.

is there some reason G-A shouldn't have an opinion on what you said? this IS a public forum. don't take everything so personally - i've found the people here to be extremely nice, and in no way can i see that any other post attacked you.

G-A - i'm not a robot - i'm a workaholic ** i love the game, what converts, what doesn't and why. trying something new, tweaking it, having a breakthrough - it's fun and it pays my bills. and then i play bass