Thread: When You Started In The Industry

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

I Wonder? When You Started In The Industry

What type of money did you have to invest in your business?

Just wondering as i have been speaking with a couple of new webmasters on ICQ for the last couple of days and it seems that many come into the industry thinking they have to spend money and, whilst up to a point this is true there are more ways for webmasters start their business off today than there was even a year ago.

Regards,

Lee

wsjb78
    I started in the industry sometime in 2001. I just looked at it as an additional income to finance my studies and now it's my only source of income.
    I did not invest much money to start with. Just hosting fees (at that time shared hosting) and time to set things up.

me personally - none

my biz partner covered a very small hosting fee and bought the first 2 domain names. I studied, read, studied, asked questions, looked for every free script I could, read some more.

We did buy a template of sorts to help me table out my first layout, and even it was a pain in the butt as it was built to 1200x res and I had to re-adjust the whole thing, and I've hand built every graphic, gallery or site since. As $$ was available, we'd buy a few content sets or another domain name. We're still learning the biz, and testing various marketing methods... but keeping the faith that it'll all "happen" when it's supposed to.

AusCoding Allan
    Being a relative newbie myself I can say that I came in to the industry expecting to spend big $$$$$ to get started. I have since realised that it really isn't that expensive, with the average content set at Ounique not hitting more than $30.00 (except exceptional items) it has been quite cheap to get started.

I'd say all up i initially invested $500.00 (Aussie Dollars) being the equivalent of about $400US now not all the content which i have purchased is on my site yet but it will get there sometime over the next three weeks or so.

Need to speak to someone about setting up my site with some live video feeds and turning in to a pay site. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Allan

TheLegacy
    Originally posted by ozmalegalleries
    Being a relative newbie myself I can say that I came in to the industry expecting to spend big $$$$$ to get started. I have since realised that it really isn't that expensive, with the average content set at Ounique not hitting more than $30.00 (except exceptional items) it has been quite cheap to get started.

I'd say all up i initially invested $500.00 (Aussie Dollars) being the equivalent of about $400US now not all the content which i have purchased is on my site yet but it will get there sometime over the next three weeks or so.

Need to speak to someone about setting up my site with some live video feeds and turning in to a pay site. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Allan
    you have many good resources here, so I will humbly throw my hat in and depending on what exactly you are looking for I am sure we can assist in getting you the feed you are looking for, whether its ours or someone else.

rwarren@sexxxycontent.com

Actually I start around 8 years ago when Python was just beginning as their marketing director. Answered an ad in the paper and the rest is history.

MistyKristy
    I started back in 98 or 99, I only invested $50 a month in hosting for the first 3 months, after then I earned enough to pay for added expenses such as content, scripts and hiring grunts to do alot of tedious tasks for me.

I think nowadays just starting out is difficult, and really requires some capital to get going in the right direction.

Maximillion
    just a domain and some hosting.

essentially, anyone can start from scratch though.

Dzinerbear
    Hey all,

I started out with one domain, hosting, and five picture sets from Ounique.

Since then, I've purchased a couple more domains, about 75 picture sets, some traffic analysis software, and a couple of books. Just recently bought some banner advertising over at Hunk Hunters.

I think in terms of start-up costs, this can be one of the cheapest businesses to get into as long as you know basic web design and have some Photoshop skills. If you don't and need to buy templates or designs, I could see it getting hugely expensive.

The nice thing about this business, too, is that when you can afford to do more, you do more; until then, you make do.

Cheers
    Dzinerbear