Thread: Site Templates... What do you do?

Have an idea and make it come to life! Gary-Alan's Avatar

Site Templates... What do you do?

I know with our work in adult, we follow a similar design idea for sites, but each is made to be somewhat unique to the niche or content on the site.

So while researching the mainstream markets I notice a lot of sites follow specfic templates for specific products and services. Now, if you know me, this rubs me the wrong way LOL I believe each site should have it's own life (so to say).

But like most projects, time is of the essence. So I decided to start looking at sites like Template Monster http://www.templatemonster.com and found that many are cost effective AND adaptable to what I want a site to feel like.

So with all of this said LOL... are there any template sites that you think the designs are good and/or adaptable to make a mainstream site work?

I'd really like to hear about your experiences with them.

My best,
    Gary-Alan
    Traffic is like your cock -
    Play with it and watch it GROW!

I think site templates are probably designed for "Crafty Betty Lou" in Missouri, who decided that she wants to sell her grapevine wreaths on the internet.

I don't think that most mainstream site owners have multiple sites, I think they are relatively small operations doing one thing, and trying to do it well. If they don't know much about HTML or design, then a template is a quick jump into the cyber marketplace. Whether they are a brick and mortar business wanting a presence on the net, or like dear BettyLou, just starting out, templates make sense.

You're not really the template type are you? LOL

tdempsey

Templates

Hi!

Frankly, there are only so many ways to lay a web page out so templates are a good idea. Applications like PostNuke have "skins" so users can modify the look and feel of their sites since many content management apps are dynamically driven.

Others sites like blogs (noteable Movable Type) use CSS and style sheets to drive the look of their sites. This is better since changing one file generally changes the whole site making for easier management.

So - in my opinion - templates are a good start and then you make changes as you go. Searching the web should bring up some good templates.

Tom Dempsey

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-Alan
    So with all of this said LOL... are there any template sites that you think the designs are good and/or adaptable to make a mainstream site work?

I'd really like to hear about your experiences with them.

i've seen some bad-ass templates out there - much better than the average affiliate or other mainstream site. not only that, but i'd say that the there is a very small chance that Crafty Betty Lou would have the html and graphics knowledge to take those templates and turn one into her own site.

logos you can buy premade

i thought this was pretty funny, in a way - but also maybe useful for smaller companies. this place lets you buy a logo - some nice, clean ones - plus the fonts so you can customize it. they also have corporate identity kits.

http://www.logomaid.com/home.php

isn't it amazing what you can buy online?

Another approach would be Xara's Webstyler 4. Very user friendly, make banners, themed websites, navigation systems, logos, and you can control colors, sizes, etc for like half the money most places want for just one template.