Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Whu chew lisanin to?

Paco

Whu chew lisanin to?

Music is a huge part of my life (toonz begin poundin the moment I arise from my slumber to the time I return to dreamland) and I am always interested in knowing how important music is to others, as well what they like to absorb.

I simply luv jazz (well, most of it) and tend to lean toward music which has been influenced (heavily or minimally) by it.

"Little Louie" Vega is one of my favourite artists/composers, including all the projects that he has his chubby little mittens in. Such as: Masters At Work (MAW), Lood, Nuyorican Soul etc. Also, I just love the way he works in his Pa's tunes (Louie Vega Sr.), as well the stunning work he did with Tito Puente, George Benson and Roy Ayers.

Currently, the most heavily played 'set' is from a jazz ensembles known as The Beat Fanatic (it is next to impossible for me to sit still while it is being played).

Yes, I do sometimes listen to other music (again, ‘stuff’ mostly influenced by jazz), such as anything released from the likes of Thievery Corp. and ColdCut (no, NOT ColdPlay!).

How about you'z peeps ?

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    My two absolute favorites are Cocteau Twins and Stevie Nicks. But I tend to have an eclectic taste in music. My mix CDs can have anything from Enya, The Sex Pistols, Donny and Marie, Abba, Laurie Anderson, Nine Inch Nails, Marylin Manson, Crystal Gayle, Eurythmics, Cyndi Lauper, Blondie, Niel Diamond, Frou Frou and a wide selection of Mash-ups.
    Don Mike
    DonMikeCali@gmail.com

At the moment, I'm listening to "In Through the Out Door" by Led Zeppelin, although I've got the new Arch Enemy album here that I really can't wait to hear.
    Jasun Mark. Crass of the Titans.

Paco
    Quote Originally Posted by WWC-DonMike
    My two absolute favorites are Cocteau Twins (CT) ...
    Cool.
    Do you also listen to Simple Minds (SM) ?
    (I can not remember if CT worked with, or if they were influenced by, SM.)

Paco
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasun
    At the moment, I'm listening to "In Through the Out Door" by Led Zeppelin, although I've got the new Arch Enemy album here that I really can't wait to hear.
    The Prince loves good metal.

I really like the symphonic tracks from LZ (I believe it was a bonus CD or something). And I still wonder why they used the Eye of Rah on their album covers so much.

lottatoys
    Lately, I have been listening to sonix.de while I work..
    A bunch of mixes from dj's. ambient, house, trance...

Quote Originally Posted by Paco
    Cool.
    Do you also listen to Simple Minds (SM) ?
    (I can not remember if CT worked with, or if they were influenced by, SM.)
    Very good on the music trivia, Paco. You were very close. Cocteau Twins actually got their name from a Simple Minds song. Other than that, I don't think they were that much influenced by them. There really wasn't anything like CT and even with all the other ambient goth stuff that's out now, I don't think there ever will be anyone else quite like them.
    Don Mike
    DonMikeCali@gmail.com

Paco
    Quote Originally Posted by lottatoys
    Lately, I have been listening to sonix.de while I work..
    A bunch of mixes from dj's. ambient, house, trance...
    Awesome and thank you, lottatoys, for the URL.

SteveBug mixes ... woot woot!
    (I also love minimal house & techno)

Paco
    Quote Originally Posted by WWC-DonMike
    Very good on the music trivia, Paco. You were very close. Cocteau Twins actually got their name from a Simple Minds song. Other than that, I don't think they were that much influenced by them. There really wasn't anything like CT and even with all the other ambient goth stuff that's out now, I don't think there ever will be anyone else quite like them.
    Thanks for setting me straight.

It is unfortunate that CT's style cannot be emulated so easily by others. However, it may be a good thing as some of the new bands have a real knack for butchering.

SLS
    coming up right now on my playlist are: EG Daily - Mind Over Matter, Thompson Twins - Lies, Berlin - The Metro, and Cabin Crew - Waiting For a Star To Fall.

as far as albums, I dug out a lot of my old rock and metal from grade school, so listening to a lot of Motley, Poison, Aerosmith, and SKID ROW! I forgot how great their cover of Pyschotherapy was! I Remember You was great too...

wan't "waiting for a star to fall" by Boy Meets Girl?
    Jasun Mark. Crass of the Titans.

Paco
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasun
    wan't "waiting for a star to fall" by Boy Meets Girl?
    Do you have the version from C&C Music Factory ?

I am not a huge 80's fan ... I prefer cheese from the 70's

Quote Originally Posted by SLS
    coming up right now on my playlist are: EG Daily - Mind Over Matter
    Was that before or after "Say It, Say It". I still have the 12" of that one. Remember when she sang that on Saturday Night Live and she lifted up her arms and her boob popped out of her halter top. Hee hee.
    Don Mike
    DonMikeCali@gmail.com

Okay, this prompted me to check out the E.G. Daily website. She looks great, although she's got enough callogen that her lips could be a life preserver in case the cruise ship goes down. LOL!

Remember this handsome fellah with her?
    Don Mike
    DonMikeCali@gmail.com

Paco
    Oh YUM_EH!

Air (with Beth Hirsch) 'All I Need'

Great ... I just melted and am ooooooz'n