Thread: Another Computer Question (Win XP)

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

Another Computer Question (Win XP)

Anyone know how i stop Win XP from asking me which username i want to log on with when it first boots up?

Im the only one using this machine so its kind of annoying having to choose my own user profile every time the machine starts up

Regards,

Lee

You might find help here Lee:

Win XP

Hehe lready been there hon but can only find the method to switch between users not how to turn it off completely LOL

Regards,

Lee

BDBionic
    Heya Lee,

First, go to your control panel > user accounts > change the way users log on or off. Disable the Welcome Screen.

Then,
    Go to start > run >
    then type in "control userpasswords2".

From there, click on the account you want to automatically log in to, then uncheck the "users must enter a username and password to use this computer".

Once you hit "apply", it'll prompt you to enter the user/pass you want to automatically log in to at start up.

It should already have selected the "User" that it will automatically log in to. Just verify that's indeed the one you want (in case you have a guest account or something) and then enter your password and confirm your password.

Then hit "OK".

From now on, whenever you start WinXP, you should automatically log on to that account without ever again having to enter your user/pass or clicking on the user from the welcome screen

yay!
    So long as you do it correctly it should work, as that's what I do and it works just fine for me.

BDBionic
    As a side note, I love WinXP for it's "tweakability".
    There's probably not a single aspect of it that I haven't tweaked - the boot screen, the sounds, the visual themes and styles, performance aspects, running programs, default settings/programs.
    I'd be up shit creek if something bad happened because my registry/system settings have been totally and completely overhauled. In fact you'd have no clue you were running WinXP if you were to sit at my computer and use it for awhile because there literally is nothing on it that I haven't tweaked. I can't even remember the last time I've seen the Windows logo or any kind of windows character/setting. hehehe
    And it's removing the user logon prompt/welcome screen that I think is the best tweak I've ever implemented. I love being able to restart my computer (after a software upgrade or update, for example) and go get a cup of coffee or take advantage of the time the computer's starting up to do something else, come back, and find it at the desktop ready to go rather than having that middle step where i have to choose an account or enter a password.

Awesome stuff thanks Brian :groovy:

Regards,

Lee