Thread: Anyone Using The Mambo CMS?

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

Anyone Using The Mambo CMS?

We're looking at a couple of different options for a new site we're going to be working on and Mambo came reccomended, has anyone here used it and got any feedback on the script?

Also, we've been told that VBPortal is a nice easy to use script too any feedback you had on that would be appreciated also

Regards,

Lee

I have to share my feelings CJ-KJCash's Avatar
    Hey Lee,

Funny you should bring that up. We just purchased a site that was in mambo and I have been researching it. Seems to be a pretty highly regarded cms in the open source community.

I found a book on itoday that we are going to order. You can find it at http://www.packtpub.com/mambo/book

Corey Bryant
    I know a few web developers that really seem to enjoy it. I have never been a fan of a CMS system myself - I still use Frontpage and actually consider Frontpage a CMS system to one extent.

A nice little tutorial can be had here: Anna's Mambo Tips

You can also go to OpenSourceCMS and actually login to quite a few opensource projects that they have already installed for you to try out before you install them. Use the CMS Review link to see a full list with links to each one. Lot of good user commentary also on each page.

lee - i could be wrong, but i think mambo was the cms rvince found some security holes in. if you still have his icq, you could ask him if it was the one...

TheWhack
    my site is all in mambo. I just redesigned it about 6 weeks ago and got a huge response from it. I have far more bookmarkers now.

There is a couple security patches I had to install and there is also a ton of plugins I will be added on soon. Check it out for yourself: www.thewhack.com/cms/

I am actually looking for trades as well

Please contact me: webmaster ((AT)) thewhack.com

I have to share my feelings CJ-KJCash's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWhack
    There is a couple security patches I had to install and there is also a ton of plugins I will be added on soon. Check it out for yourself: www.thewhack.com/cms/

Hey Chuck,

Wondering where you found the security patches. We are getting ready to go live with a site in it and would like to patch any holes, so to speak..

Thanks,

dannyz
    I just came across this website which looks pretty interesting:
    http://www.mambonotes.com/

TheWhack
    Quote Originally Posted by sukime69
    Hey Chuck,

Wondering where you found the security patches. We are getting ready to go live with a site in it and would like to patch any holes, so to speak..

Thanks,

go to mamboforge.com you can find all the latest patches there. check out mamboportal.com for plugins

This site has some templates and a Dreamweaver Extension and Tutorial kit
    How to Mambo

Dzinerbear
    I tried Mambo, but we couldn't get past the installation stage. It seemed to install alright, but then, the control panel icons were showing up, so it made it difficult to navigate.

I'm a WYSIWYG/front end kind of guy, I can sure get into HTML and fix up problems, but as far as PHP is concerned, I'm hopeless. So I just gave up on Mambo. I'm actually beta testing Kingdom Maker and I'll probably be buying Article Live by Interspire.

Michael

pxlfreak
    Recently I've tried most of the major CMS's out there ie Postnuke,Xoop, and Im now playing around with Mambo.

If you want a dynamic site they are really useful. But if you have never worked in the PHP, or Database realm they are very hard to use. For me they were anyways. Everytime you want to do something you have to go find a module that does what you want it to. Then you have to take that module and tune it so it does exactly what you want.

But so far I like Mambo the best out of all of them.

I still prefer coding everything myself though. Yeah it takes longer but you have so much more control over everything from the start.

Thats my .02 cents

Life is a dick and when itīs get hard---just fuck it... DEVELISH's Avatar
    Hi there

I want to use joomla (mambo open-soucre-"clone") - does anyone of you have a good documentation about how to do templates?

Thankx
    DEV.

GaySearch4Sex
    also check out http://www.joomla.org/ - its by the original team who developed mambo, and as of now apparently, they are almost identical. However, the development of mambo and joomla are supposedley going into two different directions, and I think Joomla is trying to be more secure or something.... I cant quite figure it out, but I havent spent a lot of time on it.

Check it out if you are interested in a getting a new CMS

_ap_
    ooh ooh i can answer this one :square:

Out of the box, Mambo is slow as hell and doesn't scale, with typical performance somewhere in the order of 2-5 page hits/sec on a single proc PC based web server.

Just to put it into perspective, an out of the box apache + linux web server on PC architecture should give you at least 200 page hits/sec on plain HTML pages. With a bit of tuning you should be able to beat 1000 page hits/sec.

Having said that, I've got a patch kit for mambo availabile that can get it up to a few hundred page hits per sec if you get stuck.

All those open source plugins are definitely a bonus tho. If you settle on Mambo, go with Joomla.

*mwaH*

ap.