Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: to incorporate or not to incorporate...that is the question

abostonboy
    What I meant is you need something besides a sole prop.

I personally DO NOT like LLC for various reasons, which is WAY beyond the scope of this thread as I am not going that deep into my financials.

There is a really god book for like $15 that goes into each and the advantages and disadvantages of each.

Another thing you want to consider besides the liabilty factor is:

1. What happens if you become very successful and someone wants to buy your business. Depending on what TYPE of company you set up, it is easier to sell.

A LLC for me is too closely tied to a sole prop. IF the time comes to sell. Even though it is easier than a sole prop to sell, but not as easy as if you INC.

Just my thoughts.

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Quote Originally Posted by abostonboy

1. What happens if you become very successful and someone wants to buy your business. Depending on what TYPE of company you set up, it is easier to sell.
    I am not an accountant, nor do I play one on TV. However, I have been told that if you have a business that creates a lot of assets that are likely to increase in value (such as, for example, content that you shoot), there are very significant tax advantages to having that company (or at least those assets) owned by an LLC, *particularly* when you go to sell the company.

And, realistically, anyone who knows anything about buying an existing company knows the standard procedure is to purchase the assets without the liabilities anyway, so whether it's a proprietorship, LLC, or corporation really makes no difference in that regard, other than the tax ramifications to the seller, which are decidedly *not* advantageous for a corporation.

That said, MRC (the company that owns Gaybucks and 18West among our other properties) is a corporation. We are in the process of creating multiple entities to better manage our tax liabilities and better protect our assets. And we're using people far more qualified than just about anyone here to help us.

Honestly, I would suggest that anyone who is deciding what sort of entity to form find a CPA or tax planner who is well versed and experienced with the adult industry (or at least the mainstream entertainment industry) and rely on his or her advice. The nuances of the different structures (not to mention C vs S corps, various LLC structures, etc.) are way beyond my knowledge, or perhaps any of the regulars here with the possible exception of Chad.

abostonboy
    All I can say is that I sold a LLC and wish I had not created the company that way. Part had to do with the recors keeping requirements and the reports you have to file. Corps require more, but they also show the value much more. And when other partners are involed, well thats a whole other issue.

I wouldnt talk to a CPA, I would talk to a corporate lawyer. That is the only way to go.

monumentmodels
    ALWAYS incorporate. That is the absolute best way to cover your ass.

Making Pain Pay!
    Quote Originally Posted by pierrefitch View Post
    When you open a US Business how do you pay your taxes in canada
    If you are a Canadian Citizen and want to open and operate any business in the US you better make sure that you have the right kind of visa to do so. The penalties can be very stiff...and not stiff in a good way.
    TropixxxCash.com is a CCBill affiliate program for the male spanking and punishment site TropixxxVIP.com.

:whip:

Madame0120
    http://www.sba.gov/ A very good info link.

I prefer running a DBA, but with this biz, we went with an LLC, because.

We have investors and realestate to protect.

An LLC in TEXAS can deduct 100% of all medical expenses, straight off the top.

Less reporting than an S Corp, an LLC is fluid and easy to back track.

Madame0120
    Quote Originally Posted by abostonboy View Post
    . That is the only way to go.

Err pardon me dear boy .... is that Your basket in the avitar?

Patrikyyz
    Quote Originally Posted by pierrefitch View Post
    When you open a US Business how do you pay your taxes in canada
    Pierre,

As a canadian domiciled corporation, the majority of company receivables comes form the U.S. however, my corporation is not running a business in the U.S.

Is your question related the twist and turns we canadians need to do in order to get our visa merchant accounts for credit card billing?

I am in Ontario and would be happy to speak directly if you wanted to explain they way that I have organized doing business in the U.S.

blah blah blah...
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrikyyz View Post
    Pierre,

As a canadian domiciled corporation, the majority of company receivables comes form the U.S. however, my corporation is not running a business in the U.S.

Is your question related the twist and turns we canadians need to do in order to get our visa merchant accounts for credit card billing?

I am in Ontario and would be happy to speak directly if you wanted to explain they way that I have organized doing business in the U.S.
    Patrik,

I'm also a webmaster in Ontario (Toronto) and i'm in the process of setting up my US company. I would love to chat with you regarding this.

I'm going with a CCBill US account, which requires that i have a US Company and Address. That's been taken care of, but i'm confused on how i should setup the payment structure etc (ie. should my US Comp make money, or should my US Comp payout all it’s income to my Canadian Comp?)

I'll send you a PVT with my contact info.

Thanks!

Allan