Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: © COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT at it's worst...

BijouWorld
    Quote Originally Posted by Bec
    If the box covers were in reviews, and with proper credits, this wouldn't be an issue. What you've done is gather up titles of dvd's that you do not carry and have added them to your DVD STORE (not a review article), and have them appearing to be "no longer available", when in fact, you never carried them at all.
    Bec --

I always respect what you have to say...you're a sharp cookie. Part of the problem we had was we just launched a new version of our website. We catalog over 10,000 films, and the 30 or so that are in question we overlooked. It was an error in our system design to indicate that the films were "no longer available". We have since corrected this.

On the subject of traffic: this is not about traffic. We have always cataloged every film in our industry and reviewed as many as possible. This will not change...we believe it is important to maintain our history as accurately as reasonable through our catalog. For reviews, we have always written unbiased and fair reviews (even given some of our own films poor reviews). In that vein, we have never allowed people to bully us into removing or rewriting a review and will not start now.

For some of our films, others receive higher rankings on the SE than us. Rather than yelling at them to remove our films from thier site (whether they sell them or not), we rise to the occasion and work even harder to attract customers to our site. We make no appolgy for attracting customers. As a compromise, we have, as I stated prior, removed the HDK and ZyloCo box covers from our site.

Gay Journalist and erotic video producer.
    Itinerant photographer, now in Liverpool... and on Stripchat and Streamen and Chaturbate.
    Hi TitanMen -

I have been selling direct to consumers since 1993 when I ran my first ad in Playgirl, and on-line since 1994.

No retail stores have ever contacted me from my websites, or ordered any of my product direct. They like to use Distributors, so they don't have to use so many vendors. Fewer sales calls, easier tracking of payments and returns lower the overhead costs.

Distributors don't return e-mails, phone calls or acknowledge screeners. So I am selling direct to customers. Retail stores (stores that sell and stores that rent) don't have my product, nor that customer's sale.

See, that is the heart of my argument: Distributors are ignoring/avoiding us web sellers, and the retail sale dollar is shrinking because it is going on-line.

The stores carry the top studios who can afford in-house distribution and can get the attention of Distributors, but to a smaller market, because their walk-in customers can go on-line as well, and find a larger selection. Never ending downward spiral.

As the months go by, and my VOD numbers go up, I am less personally concerned that DVD distributors and stores don't have my DVDs.. but I am a bit concerned for the local bookstores and rental stores that deserve some product to sell.

The eventual solution will be DVD burning Kiosks in the stores, where the customer can but what he wants, and take it home with him, and the store carries no stock.

Gay Journalist and erotic video producer.
    Itinerant photographer, now in Liverpool... and on Stripchat and Streamen and Chaturbate.
    PS

I look forward to the day when Titan will issue a press release that *I* Nick Baer is releasing a brand thru Titan.

Live From Hollywood ...

www.HotDesertKnights.com hdkbill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BijouWorld
    On the subject of traffic: this is not about traffic. We have always cataloged every film in our industry and reviewed as many as possible. This will not change...we believe it is important to maintain our history as accurately as reasonable through our catalog. For reviews, we have always written unbiased and fair reviews (even given some of our own films poor reviews). In that vein, we have never allowed people to bully us into removing or rewriting a review and will not start now.

We make no appolgy for attracting customers. As a compromise, we have, as I stated prior, removed the HDK and ZyloCo box covers from our site.
    The issue for me was the posting of copyrighted artwork on the covers without first asking permission, which, by the way, would have been freely granted, and the issue of posting NO LONGER AVAILABLE adjacent to the copyrighted works. I don't believe at anytime I suggested or insinuated that I wanted Bijou World to rewrite the reviews. Sort of an insult to even suggest that we were attempting to "bully" them so that we could get a better review.

The reviews, in my opinion, clearly fall under their 1st Amendment Rights and the issue of free speech and they may review as they see fit.

Bijou World might also want to remove the title FISTING BALLET which is accredited to HDK, when in actuality, is a film produced by Slave & Master Productions.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

Bill
    HDK

BijouWorld
    Quote Originally Posted by hdkbill
    The issue for me was the posting of copyrighted artwork on the covers without first asking permission, which, by the way, would have been freely granted, and the issue of posting NO LONGER AVAILABLE adjacent to the copyrighted works. I don't believe at anytime I suggested or insinuated that I wanted Bijou World to rewrite the reviews. Sort of an insult to even suggest that we were attempting to "bully" them so that we could get a better review.

The reviews, in my opinion, clearly fall under their 1st Amendment Rights and the issue of free speech and they may review as they see fit.

Bijou World might also want to remove the title FISTING BALLET which is accredited to HDK, when in actuality, is a film produced by Slave & Master Productions.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

Bill
    HDK
    I'm glad that we were able to reach a reasonable compromise. Although we choose to not support the bareback studios by distributing their films, we do not cast judgement against the people involved or the quality of the films other than the message behind them that scares us.

You're correct in stating that FISTING BALLET showing when one searches for the words "Hot Desert Knights" on our website. This is because the words "hot", "desert", and "knights" all appear in the text of the review of this film FISTING BALLET is one of our films produced under the Slave & Master label.

This is an example of another one of our growing pains with our new website. We are working on making this more clear to differentiate between studio, model, director, and review matches.

Happy weekend, all! Glad we could get this issue resolved before it begins!

...since my first hard-on. A_DeAngelo's Avatar
    YO EVERYONE!

We're back!

Look what happens…we go to the gym, pump some muscles, get something to eat, and come back to our office for some spirited opinions and enlightening comments from board members as well as admissions from Bijou and their revised position and semi-retraction…

Thanks for all of your comments. And, thank you Bill Gardner of Hot Desert Knights.

Thank you Lee for providing this environment for members of the Gay Adult Industry to view their common threads, concerns, issues and joys…

For the record, we will "rest" once we have been completely purged from the Bijou "enterprise", this includes all of the "titles" as well, which are integrated in the artistic expressions or "videos" as we like to call them…

For the time being, we have acknowledged Bijou's actions and will hold further public comment on this matter until we have discussed this issue in detail with Hot Desert Knights…

My apologies, we've got to get back to the business of producing videos so that in turn, the business can continue to profit from our endeavors…

Anthony DeAngelo & Cameron Cruise
    ZyloCo, Inc.
    Beverly Hills, California
    17:00 Pacific

Update

ZyloCo, Inc. is happy to announce that BijouWorld.com has complied with our "Cease and Desist" order that was issued on May5, 2006.

After much ado, Bijou has removed our copyright protected box cover images and video titles from their site (which they had never received approval to publish) and removed all references to our company name and video titles throughout their "store" site.

We have not had a formal response from Bijou however it "seems" that they have acted in good faith.

We are not seeking damages from Bijou World, at this time. However, we reserve the right to make that determination at a later date.

We all make mistakes. It is refreshing to see that men can stand forward and take responsibility for their mistakes and correct them.

We thank Bijou World "publicly" for being "men enough" to stand forward.

www.HotDesertKnights.com hdkbill's Avatar
    In a world where it seems that no one wants to take responsibility for their own actions it's nice to see someone finally take responsibility and do the right thing.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by A_DeAngelo
    ZyloCo, Inc. is happy to announce that BijouWorld.com has complied with our "Cease and Desist" order that was issued on May5, 2006.

After much ado, Bijou has removed our copyright protected box cover images and video titles from their site (which they had never received approval to publish) and removed all references to our company name and video titles throughout their "store" site.

We have not had a formal response from Bijou however it "seems" that they have acted in good faith.

We are not seeking damages from Bijou World, at this time. However, we reserve the right to make that determination at a later date.

We all make mistakes. It is refreshing to see that men can stand forward and take responsibility for their mistakes and correct them.

We thank Bijou World "publicly" for being "men enough" to stand forward.

And one important note…

I suppose that the sooner "BijouWorld.com" drops out of the Google search for our titles, the sooner our sales will be boosted by all of the retailers and feeds that DO CARRY our titles.