Thread: How To Seal The Deal In Seven Seconds

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

How To Seal The Deal In Seven Seconds

Can you close a business deal in just seven seconds? You can do it even faster if you make a great first impression. Seven seconds is the average length of time you have to make a first impression. If your first impression is not good you won' t get another chance with that potential client. But if you make a great first impression you can bet that the client is more likely to take you and your company seriously.

Whether your initial meeting is face-to-face, over the phone or via the Internet, you do not have time to waste. It pays for you to understand how people make their first judgment and what you can do to be in control of the results.

Learn What People Use To Form A 1st Impression

When you meet someone face-to-face, 93% of how you are judged is based on non-verbal data, your appearance and your body language. Only 7% is influenced by the words that you speak. Whoever said that you can't judge a book by its cover failed to note that people do. When your initial encounter is over the phone, 70% of how you are perceived is based on your tone of voice and 30% on your words. Clearly, it's not what you say - it's the way that you say it.

Choose your 1st 12 Words carefully

Although research shows that your words make up a mere 7% of what people think of you in a one-on-one encounter, don't leave them to chance. Express some form of thank you when you meet the client. Perhaps, it is "Thank you for taking your time to see me today" or "Thank you for joining me for lunch." Potential clients appreciate you when you appreciate them.

Use The Other Persons Name Immediately

There is no sweeter sound than that of our own name. When you use the client 's name in conversation within your first twelve words and the first seven seconds, you are sending a message that you value that person and are focused on him. Nothing gets other people's attention as effectively as calling them by name.

Pay Attention To Your Hair!

Your clients will. In fact, they will notice your hair and face first. Putting off that much-needed haircut or color job may cost you the deal. Very few people want to do business with someone who is unkempt or whose hairstyle does not look professional. Don't let a bad hair day cost you the connection.

Shine Your Shoes

People will look from your face to your feet. If your shoes aren't well maintained, the client will question whether you pay attention to other details. Shoes should be polished as well as appropriate for the business environment. They may be the last thing you put on before you walk out the door, but they are often the first thing your client notices.

Walk Fast

Studies show that people who walk 10-20% faster than others are viewed as important and energetic, just the kind of person your clients want to do business with. Pick up the pace and walk with purpose if you want to impress. You never know who may be watching.

Fine Tune Your Handshake

The first move you make when meeting your prospective client is to put out your hand. There isn't a businessperson anywhere who can't tell you that the good business handshake should be a firm one. Yet time and again people offer a limp hand to the client. You'll be assured of giving an impressive grip and getting off to a good start if you position your hand to make complete contact with the other person's hand. Once you've connected, close your thumb over the back of the other person's hand and give a slight squeeze. You'll have the beginning of a good business relationship.

Make Introductions In Style

It does matter whose name you say first and what words you use when making introductions in business. Because business etiquette is based on rank and hierarchy, you want to honor the senior or highest ranking person by saying his name first. When the client is present, he is always the most important person. Say the client's name first and introduce other people to the client. The correct words to use are "I'd like to introduce..." or "I'd like to introduce to you..." followed by the name of the other person.

Always Have Business Cards On Hand

Your business cards and how you handle them contribute to your total image. Have a good supply of them with you at all times since you never know when and where you will encounter a potential client. How unimpressive is it to ask for a person's card and have them say, " Oh, I'm sorry. I think I just gave my last one away." You get the feeling that this person has already met everyone he wants to know. Keep your cards in a card case or holder where they are protected from wear and tear. That way you will be able to find them without a lot of fumbling around, and they will always be in pristine condition.

Watch Your Body Language Too

A smile or pleasant expression tells your clients that you are glad to be with them. Eye contact says you are paying attention and are interested in what is being said. Leaning in toward the client makes you appear engaged and involved in the conversation. Use as many signals as you can to look interested and interesting.

Overview

Even though, as adult webmasters we dont do a lot of face-to-face business, at the tradeshows that is our primary focus of being there, to win new clients, affiliates or distributors of the products we need to run our business.

In the business environment, we need to plan our every move with potential clients. We arrange for the appointment, we prepare for the meeting, we rehearse for any presentations we have to make, but in spite of our best efforts, potential clients pop up in the most unexpected places and at the most bizarre times. For that reason, leave nothing to chance. Every time you walk out of your office or hotel room, be ready to make a powerful first impression with that next potential client.

Article Written By Lydia.

http://www.webmasterconsultants.com

marcjacob
    Good read and pretty spot on. I learn this in training to work in a call centre, first 12 words and all that. In commision based jobs it certainly works. After that training the number of clients retained (i stopped them cancelling) went up and as result, so did my wage.

I think this is great also for how you build sites. I think its true that we as consumers make decisions about what we see on the net in just seconds, the rest as were told, is simply us justifying the initial decision. While i dont think its totally as simplistic as that i do think that a cute model that stands out for example, can make a surfer stop and look at the rest of your tour. Not so nice models will make them leave.

So its back to age old "design or content" debate. The answer i think is both if this idea is true.

Rigrunner
    I've gotta say the handshake and the biz cards ones are golden. I know a poor handshake can put me right off doing business with a person.

I hate being without a biz cards...it's always the times I have none, when I need 'em the most!