Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: paysites that don't update

funny you guys think reality sites have a short shelf life. my best recurring straight sites are all reality site with an average of 5 months retention or better.

reality sites that have give access to their entire exclusive networks with multiple updating reality sites with different themes retain very well.

Xstr8guy
    Quote Originally Posted by basschick View Post
    funny you guys think reality sites have a short shelf life. my best recurring straight sites are all reality site with an average of 5 months retention or better.

reality sites that have give access to their entire exclusive networks with multiple updating reality sites with different themes retain very well.
    I guess I should qualify my comment. I was just referring to the cheesy reality sites. We all know who they are.

CorbinFisher.com CorbinFisher_BD's Avatar
    So many of those sites like that are built ad succeed because so many webmasters are in it for the quick buck.

They launch a reality site like that with a batch of content, pay out $50 for PPS, assloads of webmasters promote them for that $50 PPS, assloads of surfers are sent there and signup.

Then the program stops updating the site.

Membership begins to shrink but the money's been made and they've latched on to those surfers (to re-sell other sites to, run thru cross-promos, have on their mailing list). A percentage of members (that never check their credit card statements remain) and new people continue to trickle in, seeing the site for the first time so signing up thinking it's fresh and new.

Then they repackage it and sell it as a plugin to webmasters. And start makin new money off it that way.

CorbinFisher's Amateur College Men

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men? IntenseCash.com's Avatar
    I couldn't imagine not updating a site much. The members would just drop off like crazy if I didn't update. My members want updates more and more. I don't understand how they would keep the paysite going without updates or with a small members area like you are reviewing.

Mark
    * IntenseCash.com - If you can't convert us you better look for a new job!

marcjacob
    Quote Originally Posted by CorbinFisher_BD View Post
    So many of those sites like that are built ad succeed because so many webmasters are in it for the quick buck.

They launch a reality site like that with a batch of content, pay out $50 for PPS, assloads of webmasters promote them for that $50 PPS, assloads of surfers are sent there and signup.

Then the program stops updating the site.

Membership begins to shrink but the money's been made and they've latched on to those surfers (to re-sell other sites to, run thru cross-promos, have on their mailing list). A percentage of members (that never check their credit card statements remain) and new people continue to trickle in, seeing the site for the first time so signing up thinking it's fresh and new.

Then they repackage it and sell it as a plugin to webmasters. And start makin new money off it that way.
    I would guess that they would make more money by retaining members and then cross-selling to members who cancel. This model doesnt make sense to me.

CorbinFisher.com CorbinFisher_BD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marcjacob View Post
    I would guess that they would make more money by retaining members and then cross-selling to members who cancel. This model doesnt make sense to me.
    They manage to keep making money because they're no longer spending any on creating content or doing anything like that for the site. Minor maintenance and hosting - and they already have all the resources and infrastructure in place for those because they're a large company with a network of sites - are really the only expenses from that point on. It becomes a site that doesn't have the greatest amount of incoming revenue, but has almost no outgoing revenue. So the margin's still quite decent. Then, repackaging it and selling it as a plugin actually can net them a hefty chunk of change on a regular basis.

CorbinFisher's Amateur College Men

Looking at it another way, if Corbin Fisher or Sean Cody stopped updating today. Did a slight site redesign to remove any tour notation on when the site was last or will be next updated. They would continue to make almost the same amount of new sales for a long period just with the amount of new surfers that join the web every day.
    plus,
    Its amazing to me how many emails I have had in the past with "Finally today I bought your site, I was on 56k for so long and never wanted to 'pay' for a site until I had DSL/Cable"
    plus,
    We all assume that everyone has come accross our sites at some point with the amount of effort and work we put in, but you'd be amazed even with 'huge names', how many times I'm talking to guys about types of sites and they say "who?" in yet they are the biggest gay sites in the world in terms of hits.

IMHO You can update Too much & You can update Too little...every site should find its balance with its own paying members, one that works financially and responsibly to surfers.

Dave
    Domain inventory sale.

found this thread by accident and just had to add to it...

a program rep recently told one of my clients that he should get a re-review of their sites and my client, not unreasonably, thought that meant the sites had a lot more content or new layout or something. not so! when i went into the sites to check 'em out, they each had the exact same 10 episodes they had last december and nothing had changed at all.

reps at this kind of program are so clueless! review site owners usually PAY for their reviews. why would they want to pay for a review of sites that haven't changed or added a single thing?

and no, we didn't end up doing those reviews...

GayGravy-JJ
    We add a new DVD every day...every day. www.PrideMov.com/front.php
    Dont see how anyone would have time to spank it to any more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by basschick View Post
    a program rep recently told one of my clients that he should get a re-review of their sites and my client, not unreasonably, thought that meant the sites had a lot more content or new layout or something. not so! when i went into the sites to check 'em out, they each had the exact same 10 episodes they had last december and nothing had changed at all.
    been there - reviewed those ... and still the same heh?

dang ... :worm: Think they'd find SOMETHING to add within a year's time.

fabianb

content

The general thinking with the bigger straight programs is that a surfers surfs in a certain comfort zone/circle.
    E.g. TGP's have a large % of bookmarks.
    Bookmarks simply mean that surfers come back day after day.
    Those same surfers have seen Site X being offered about 10* so part of the shelflife is being driven by webmaster demand.
    Having a site that generates e.g. 100 sales a day will drop then to 70 but the new site will pick up 90-100 .. thus a positive balance.
    With guys like this it's a simple logistic and numbers game.

This is only for the real big programs. Sites with just 8 scenes should be banned. Barriers of entry in this market are way too low.
    Visa approves a site these day. I've never seen a complaint on content levels which is insane.
    Minimum quantity of content should be at least 32 days at max download speed.
    My 2 cnts.