You've heard it said over and over "Make them pay for the pink" or in the case of the gay market "make 'em pay for the MEAT". But how far can you get without hardcore on a gay site?

Depending on the method you use to get your traffic softcore verses hardcore can make a big difference. If you're working the SE's, you set the tone by way of your descriptions and keywords - and you hope that they get you the rankings and the surfers. On the other side of the fence, when you use link lists and categorized directories, their categories will dictate where your site will go. Thus, you are totally out of the loop when it comes to its placement.

For the past six months I have been conducting a test. I built ten free sites, all to derive their traffic from link lists. Five were strictly softcore and the others a mix of softcore images and "selective" hardcore images. Each had 40 pics in order to play to the larger LLs and directories.

Let me give you a little background. The reason I started this test was to track the traffic trends in the gay market as it applied to the notion of "make 'em pay for the meat". It was something I had done with my straight sites, but something I totally avoided with my gay sites. The reason for that one a statement I made a while back "If I wanted to see softcore I could look in the mirror when I got out of the shower." While this is a totally narcissistic comment, it does demonstrate my ongoing point about selling to gay men.

Now don't get me wrong in the scheme of thing I do like softcore images of the right person, but as a surfer who is looking to get off, I want what I can't normally have. And that idea is going to send me to a site that will has what I want, OR in the case of this test, THINK that I want.

Now back to the test sites. For my softcore sites, I took various images of single men in different phases of undress from stripping to provocative poses. For the hardcore I was much more selective. I used what I call US Cable or Int'l Tele guidelines. What that means is, what do I see if I turn on a cable station or one of the satellite channels from around the world. I found "simulated sex". Just like an R rated movie, there were scene where two guys are together with no close ups of actual penetration. So, when I went through my web images I looked for similar scenes. The images were sexual but nothing so blatant as up close penetration but suggestive enough to arouse a surfer – the taunt factor I would need to sell my sponsor sites.

With my distinct sets of sites, I began to submit to the Link Lists. 99% of the sites were accepted for each of there categories (the one that didn't get accepted had a hardcore description and softcore images - oops). But after making the correction it was accepted.

The traffic started to come in. In the first day, the difference I anticipated was right there. I decided I wouldn't effect anymore change in traffic so I didn't submit to any other link lists. I wanted to test this out. At the end of the month the trends I expected were in fact there. The total of all the traffic generated 10% came in to Softcore sites. The remaining 90% came in through the hardcore sites. So this tells me that most gay surfers are hitting the hardcore categories on the LLs. It confirmed my previous assumptions.

What's the sense of doing all of this and not watch all avenues, right? Now having scrutinized where the traffic was coming from and how, I wanted to trace how it was going out.

I used an older cgi program to track the hits out. It's one of those standard programs that I learned to use years ago and can't get rid of. Now remember, all of the sites are pretty much the same with wording, sponsors, color schemes, etc. The only real difference was the pics.

Based on the numbers collected from the program I found that approximately 75% of all the traffic coming into the softcore sites left on a link to one of the link lists. I had 20% go out on a sponsor's link and the remaining 5% did not resolve (which in this program I was using tried to count the click but was unsuccessful).

Now reviewing the information from the hardcore sites, I found a distinct difference. I will not lie to you. I expected a difference. I don't want you to think I was awestruck LOL. But, I was surprised with what I found. This time the majority went out to my sponsors – 50% went to a sponsor site, 20% went out to the reciprocal links, 19.9% went to a free gay email site (which wasn't enough to mention on the softcore sites), 5% did not resolved. The remaining 5.1% I have no idea – they probably whacked off and logged off (I hope it was good for them LOL)

While it is not the point of this article, I will add that the traffic produced reasonable well at the sponsor end.

Let me say that my "trends in gay adult traffic" research is by no means complete. However, over the period of six month these ten sites were enough to say there is marked difference between softcore and hardcore sites. So does "make 'em pay" work in the gay market? For now, there is a definite factor depending on where you get your traffic. If links lists are your specialty, then the answer is yes.

My next step in the evolution of this is to submit these sites into the search engines. With all things considered, I'm looking forward in tracking that information. I'm off to submit. I will share the data I collect from that test soon.

Now, I just hope DMOZ doesn't give me a hardcore time ; )

Article written by Gary-Alan.

http://www.gaywidewebmasters.com