Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2257 Recording Keeping/Database Solution- What is the most popular product?

i was under the impression, and have heard this from several webmasters, that as per the newer 2257 regs u.s. webmasters do need a list of all urls their content appears on. this wasn't an issue that concerned me so i don't recall the details... maybe chad will appear and help us out...

Quote Originally Posted by citiboyz View Post
    No, you're not responsible for sites that are not under your control. But you must provide them with the 2257 info so that they can comply with the law. The law only applies to sites that you operate yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by basschick View Post
    i was under the impression, and have heard this from several webmasters, that as per the newer 2257 regs u.s. webmasters do need a list of all urls their content appears on.
    For their own websites, yes. That took effect 6/23/05.

Xstr8guy
    Yikes! This get's confusing when you are discussing content producers and webmasters. Not everything applies to both groups.

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Quote Originally Posted by Xstr8guy View Post
    Yikes! This get's confusing when you are discussing content producers and webmasters. Not everything applies to both groups.
    And unfortunately the language in 2257 (particularly 2257A and 4472), since they've eliminated the definitions of "primary" and "secondary" producers, makes it that much *less* clear for people.

Back in May '05 when they were published, AJ and I were trying to decipher the regulations that were to go into effect on 6/23/05. We also looked at other regulations that were on the pages of the Federal Register before and after the 2257 regs. The other stuff was concisely written, easily understood. The 2257 stuff was Byzantine, confused, and convoluted. It would be interesting to know whether it was just thrown together by a staffer carelessly and in a hurry, or if someone intentionally tried to make them a piece of shit.

Xstr8guy
    Quote Originally Posted by BWBW View Post
    What is the most popular 2257 database solution for organizing 2257 records?

I am looking into:

Members Area Management Systems MP2257 Module for MAS

2257ok.com's record keeping management solution

YTraker

2257 Lite Record Keeping software (free)

Cost isn't really the issue, I want the best/easiest program that will help me achieve compliance.

If anybody has any other suggestions please send them my way.

Thanks,
    BW
    Well, does anyone have insight into these programs? Ytracker.com looks good.

Rimmates.com
    By the way, how often are 2257 inspections done? It seems like one inspection article a week comes out of the Xbiz information web, but I'm sure that's only the big stories being reported. Are these things happening by the hundreds per year, or is it more or less?

I've been trying to figure the odds of being audited for 2257 record keeping violations. I guess the biggest factor is the age of models - or does that not even matter anymore?

I'd say 1 in 3,000 chance per year if you use older models, and about 1 in 200 if you use very young 18+ modles. Does that sound reasonable or I am just saying that so that I get 1 post closer to the 175,000th post? :bandana:

Making Pain Pay!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xstr8guy View Post
    Well, does anyone have insight into these programs? Ytracker.com looks good.
    Like I said earlier, I use YTracker and it is awesome. It is the easiest, user freindly software I have found. It keeps track of everything for you, and is amazing. ESPECIALLY at such a low price.
    TropixxxCash.com is a CCBill affiliate program for the male spanking and punishment site TropixxxVIP.com.

:whip:

Xstr8guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rimmates.com View Post
    By the way, how often are 2257 inspections done?
    They've just started, so i don't think anyone knows what the frequency will eventually be. And as far as I know, they have only been inspecting companies that are primarily video/DVD producers. They may have a web presence but that is not their primary business.

Xstr8guy
    Quote Originally Posted by TropixxxStudios View Post
    Like I said earlier, I use YTracker and it is awesome. It is the easiest, user freindly software I have found. It keeps track of everything for you, and is amazing. ESPECIALLY at such a low price.
    Lol, i missed that in this thread... things got a little muddled. Does ytracker lack any features that you need? Can it accept an unlimited number of url's per model?

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    I haven't checked out ytracker in detail, but when we were looking at solutions some time ago when we were switching from our Access database to what we have now, I couldn't find *anything* that (in our opinion) adequately tracked what we call "assemblies"... for example, if you have a tour page composed of 12 images from 5 different sets with a total of 16 models, you need to be able to track back to each individual model, each individual source image you used to create the tour page, and the date of production of each source image, as well as the date of production of the assembly itself, and copies of all of the source depictions (plus, of course, the model ID info, etc.)

None of the commercial applications I saw adequately handled that problem. We ended up developing our own custom application. It's web-based, written in PHP and MySQL, but the database can be stored on a secure web server (accessible from anywhere with authentication) or stored on a local machine that's otherwise empty, in case the web connection is down. The admin nterface is too funky at the moment for us to be able to resell it to other webmasters , but we may at some point clean it up and make it available.

I would love to know if anyone has found an application that handles assemblies properly. There must be one out there (or maybe ytracker has been upgraded to support assemblies) but if so, I haven't found it yet.

BWBW
    I guess I should ask what is everyone else using?

MAS MP 2257
    YTracker
    Cool Content 2257 Lite
    2257ok
    Excel
    In house built Access db

I want to do MAS but I am having trouble justifying the cost.

if you feel that MAS has the best 2257 solution for you, why would you need to justify the cost? isn't staying out of jail a strong justification?

btw, as a CMS, MAS rocks!

MAS MP 2257
    YTracker
    Cool Content 2257 Lite
    2257ok
    Excel
    In house built Access db

BWBW
    Quote Originally Posted by basschick View Post
    if you feel that MAS has the best 2257 solution for you, why would you need to justify the cost? isn't staying out of jail a strong justification?

Well said...well said.

and incidentally - i hope everyone who gets an off the shelf 2257 solution runs all its functions by their lawyers! just because someone makes a product or someone else uses it doesn't mean that the DOJ will find it legal.

MAS MP 2257
    YTracker
    Cool Content 2257 Lite
    2257ok
    Excel
    In house built Access db