Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Rule at Gay Demon

maxpower

New Rule at Gay Demon

Your link that was submitted on 2006-10-08 has been rejected for one of the following reasons:
    No banners or adverts allowed on first / entry page! :sleepy:

This is a really early Christmas gift from our friends at Gay Demon I guess, does anyone remember them saying anything about this change before they just started rejecting sites? I am sure I will work something out, but this really does suck.

samebb
    Im sure Bjorn will pick up on this thread soon and explain, but no i dont recall that change being made.

maxpower
    I am sure I will work around whatever, but was really blindsided by all this. The new year has not even started yet and I am already missing 2006 :crybaby:

maxpower
    Quote Originally Posted by samebb View Post
    Im sure Bjorn will pick up on this thread soon and explain, but no i dont recall that change being made.
    bump :signhere:

Dzinerbear
    I'm not speaking for Bjorn, but you know I don't disagree with his new policy. I've seen a lot of these galleries and they're disceptive, shunting off traffic to a sponsor rather than giving the surfer the free gallery that they're looking for and were promised.

Link list owners need to protect their products, too. Their surfers are looking for free galleries, so give them what they're looking for, or at least play fair. "Click here to see these hot guys" right at the top of the first page with a snazzy banner" and "Enter gallery" buried at the bottom of the page where no one bothers to look. It's a load of crap.

If a link list continues to allow this kind of deceptive tactic, then surfers find some place else to go.

Contrary to popular opinion, link lists do not exist solely to send YOU traffic, they are entities that are trying to make money just like you. If you're not going to submit a quality product, then live without the traffic.

I have worked quite closely with Bjorn and he's a really generous guy. We've swapped links and helped one another out in countless ways. He's a fare guy. I don't screw him and he doesn't screw me. And while we have competing products we see the value in helping one another over trying to out-do one another. If more webmasters would have the same air of co-operation, we'd all be a lot better off.

Michael

maxpower
    Now don’t get me wrong about all this its not the end of the world or anything, but lets but lets not BS each other. This will cut the profitable traffic they send each sites by 50-60% right off the bat, and this has little to do with BAD webmasters. This is about the profitability of their site, if you want to make rules about false enter buttons or some other truly deceptive BS a few webmaster do then that’s fine or just do not accept those sites.

What I see is the real problem is that the directory model is not working very well anymore, and some of the bigger directories are in what should be a resizing period for their staffs, but instead are trying to make up for loses by going after affiliates. This is a really bad idea if you ask me, but what can I do (maybe bitch a bit)

I do love how some Reps try to turn things around on the affiliates and make it sound like they caused this or that, and are almost worthless.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Quote Originally Posted by maxpower View Post
    This will cut the profitable traffic they send each sites by 50-60% right off the bat
    No it wont, if anything it will increase the amount of traffic going to your sites as they become less cluttered with ads, in turn increasing the amount of repeat traffic that Bjorn gets, in turn, increasing the amount of traffic that his submitters get.

Regards,

Lee

maxpower
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    No it wont, if anything it will increase the amount of traffic going to your sites as they become less cluttered with ads, in turn increasing the amount of repeat traffic that Bjorn gets, in turn, increasing the amount of traffic that his submitters get.

Regards,

Lee
    I don’t know about all that Voodoo Economics stuff man, personally I do not like to be trickled down upon from above (hey that’s just me)

Dzinerbear
    Then why don't you put your "enter" button right beside the sponsors banners?

And Lee's right. If surfers are given a quality product, they'll be back for more. That means more of your galleries get clicked and more surfers see your sponsor's product.

This is exactly what killed the AVS market -- webmasters more interested in selling a paysite than selling the AVS product or making a quality product for the AVS. Eventually the surfers just moved off because 90% of AVS galleries were crap.

Michael

maxpower
    Quote Originally Posted by Dzinerbear View Post
    Then why don't you put your "enter" button right beside the sponsors banners?

And Lee's right. If surfers are given a quality product, they'll be back for more. That means more of your galleries get clicked and more surfers see your sponsor's product.

This is exactly what killed the AVS market -- webmasters more interested in selling a paysite than selling the AVS product or making a quality product for the AVS. Eventually the surfers just moved off because 90% of AVS galleries were crap.

Michael
    This from the guy that said not 6 months ago how wonderful the AVS system was, while calling me stupid for even saying it was DEAD.

As far as what killed the AVS market it was the REP’s with their shortsighted view of the future and complete inability to innovate. All the AVS companies did was blame affiliates, rather than trying to market what they where offered “for free” better. And at the same time made more and more rules making if less and less profitable to even try to make better sites. This in the end spelled DEATH for AVS, and these free link directories are starting to do the same thing now.

What are you going to call me stupid now for saying these Free and AVS directress are on life support as we speak? How about this then going at this rate directorates as we know them will be gone in 2-4 years, and will be nothing more than a collection of affiliate codas and upsells created and maintained solely by the directory itself. How long will it take for them all too become stale, safe, boring and outdated then?

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Quote Originally Posted by maxpower View Post
    This from the guy that said not 6 months ago how wonderful the AVS system was, while calling me stupid for even saying it was DEAD.
    That is what killed the AVS/AEN business model, in terms of traffic, it is far from dead though.

Regards,

Lee

Dzinerbear
    Sorry I should have been more clear. My apologies. I should have said that it was all the crap that killed AVS for most webmasters. I'm still alive and kicking and making a ton of money in AVS and I know others who are as well. All the lazy webmasters making crappy galleries moved on to other things leaving all the traffic to those of who would produce a good product. So, thank you, I appreciate the cheques. AVS isn't dead, it's just dead to all the scammers, charlatans, and carpetbaggers who want to peddle their snake oil.

As far as the all the AVS rules, well every time webmasters try to pull off some bone-head trick to scam more traffic, AVS has to protect themselves. Same goes with link lists and TGPs. So lots of rules are implement that make everyone's life miserable.

The problem with people like you Max is that you're always trying to get as much possible by putting in as little effort as you possibly can. It's jack ass strategies like this that just pisses off surfers and makes it all the more difficult for people with good quality products to make money. Scammers cause surfers to tar and feather the whole industry as scammers. If you would spend half as much time creating a quality product as you do thinking of ways to cheat the system, you'd be so much better off.

Michael

maxpower
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    That is what killed the AVS/AEN business model, in terms of traffic, it is far from dead though.

Regards,

Lee
    Granted man, Dead is a relative term in this case, but I do not blame affiliates for this. If the AVS systems problem was traffic then the should have been worrying on providing it rather than bitching about affiliates finding a harder and harder time generating traffic or selling their programs.

What AVS did (allot like directories are doing now) was slash the traffic the returned to affiliates, made all kinds of rules that hurt sales, push their own sites in all the prime spots in the directory, and just generally drain the model dry.

maxpower
    Quote Originally Posted by Dzinerbear View Post
    Sorry I should have been more clear. My apologies. I should have said that it was all the crap that killed AVS for most webmasters. I'm still alive and kicking and making a ton of money in AVS and I know others who are as well. All the lazy webmasters making crappy galleries moved on to other things leaving all the traffic to those of who would produce a good product. So, thank you, I appreciate the cheques. AVS isn't dead, it's just dead to all the scammers, charlatans, and carpetbaggers who want to peddle their snake oil.

As far as the all the AVS rules, well every time webmasters try to pull off some bone-head trick to scam more traffic, AVS has to protect themselves. Same goes with link lists and TGPs. So lots of rules are implement that make everyone's life miserable.

The problem with people like you Max is that you're always trying to get as much possible by putting in as little effort as you possibly can. It's jack ass strategies like this that just pisses off surfers and makes it all the more difficult for people with good quality products to make money. Scammers cause surfers to tar and feather the whole industry as scammers. If you would spend half as much time creating a quality product as you do thinking of ways to cheat the system, you'd be so much better off.

Michael
    You can try to take back the AVS thing man if ya want, but I have to live in the real world. The ghost of AVS will be around for awhile I am sure, but its over for them.

Come on man, I know you have been a Rep for awhile, but some of us have to live out here in the real world. I can not spend hours and hours on one site that will get traffic maybe for a week or less then be placed in absurdity for all time. If the site got a huge amount of traffic for that week maybe, but that does not happen anymore. Personally I think these Representatives, Marketing Directors, Lawyers, Financial Advisers, and countless button pushers in their nice safe little jobs are the once destroying this industry.

You can blame the affiliates all you want, but it takes a bigger man too see the problem and fix it rather than just trying to get every dime out of people you can, while you still can.

Dzinerbear
    First of all, in case you missed the post, I'm not a rep for any AVS. I left my full-time job in June of this year. I'm working independently just like you.

Second, I am still making money off AVS galleries that I created three years ago. I write good copy that scoops up the traffic from search engines by the bucket full. So while I agree that a gallery I created three years ago might not be pulling in much traffic from the AVS search engine (because everyone is looking for what's new) those three-year old galleries are far from dead. And all of those galleries linked together in one big hub create a "Holy Shit" factor for the surfer when they arrive at any of my galleries.

"I can not spend hours and hours on one site that will get traffic maybe for a week or less then be placed in absurdity for all time." You've got to change with the flow, Max. One of the biggest problems with AVS webmasters was so many of them always did what they always did. When their results continued to diminish instead of trying something new, they just complained that what they always did wasn't working, so it must be someone else's fault.

I can't sell a TGP membership to save my life. That doesn't make TGPs a dead duck, it just means I don't know how to make money at them. Plenty do. I just don't have the inclination or the time to figure out how to make money in the TGP market. So I don't try. For me, TGPs are "dead" like AVS is dead to you -- too many lookers, not enough buyers -- but there are still lots of people making a killing in the TGP market. God bless them.

Just like the days of filling a paysite full of leased feeds and expecting the surfers to eat it up are over. You have to spend "hours and hours" Max or you're not going to get the return. Sorry, would you buy something it took someone 15 minutes to throw together -- and looked like it? I wouldn't.

Michael