Thread: webmaster spam by phone

webmaster spam by phone

i just got a phone call from a plugin provider and this is not the first time that has happened - but it always seems to be either someone selling ads on a print mag or else plugins. i hate getting those calls - they don't let you say no in a gentle way - they try and be a little hard sell, and on the phone this makes me feel pretty violated. but it WON'T make me sign up - i guarantee it.

if you're going to call - and frankly i wish you wouldn't - be ready to take the gentle no. please don't make me have to be more assertive about it as i won't think well of you or your company

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men? IntenseCash.com's Avatar
    I agree I hate phone call selling anything. Send an email or icq is much better way to sell than a phone call.

Mark
    * IntenseCash.com - If you can't convert us you better look for a new job!

marcjacob
    Dont be gentle? I would say no twice firmly, but nicely. Then id tell them to f-off.

not all of us want to do that. when i say i'm not really interested, what i want is to hear "well, thank you for your time" and a polite goodbye. if i have to be firm to lose a caller, i file their business as one i won't want to work with in the future.

but really i'd prefer an email. i'm much more likely to consider the offer. on the phone, i have to respond in some way. if i'm not sure about an email, i can wait a few hours to consider the offer.

Quote Originally Posted by marcjacob View Post
    Dont be gentle? I would say no twice firmly, but nicely. Then id tell them to f-off.

robin
    Hehehe this is one reason why people have to go through my partner first before he'll pass on the message to me or if I've specifically greenlighted them for him to give out my direct line.

Xstr8guy
    Worse is Yahoo's PPC advertising mailer that comes addressed to your domain name...

fuckmyassbigboy.com
    327 Elm St.
    Poughkeepsie, NY 11314

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    well, remember Skyler's thread of a few days ago wherein his employer REQUIRED him to get 3 "no's" before giving up. That's a very old sales technique that does actually work, so I can see why they do it, but I completely agree with Patti that I would simply take that company or person and file them in the "avoid" pile

The people I've done business with are the ones who have been low key and barely even mentioned their services, but I was clear on what they did, so when I needed their service, I hit 'em up. I don't mind an email or an ICQ now and then, but if it gets pesky, I will make it clear and usually they get the message without my having to resort to "fuck off"

Carrie
    If any adult provider/service/whatever ever called me, they'd get an earful right off the bat.
    My number is there for emergencies only. If I was interested in your service, I'd call YOU. I did not put my phone number into your form to get telemarketed to - and any company that used my number for that purpose would get pulled from every page I owned.