Thread: Registers requesting 2257 info and freezing domains??

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men? IntenseCash.com's Avatar

Registers requesting 2257 info and freezing domains??

I am concerned because this guy on gfy was notified from his register that he needed to send them 2257 documents. His register was DirectNic which is who we use for all our domains. Details are still coming in but he does not know who authorized it. Also in this thread WegCash had all their domains frozen for a day. Thread I got this info is at http://www.gfy.com/showthread.php?t=686213. Since when are registers policing content on domains?

Thanks,
    Mark
    * IntenseCash.com - If you can't convert us you better look for a new job!

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Interesting stuff, DirectNic was started by someone in the industry so im wondering what the back story is to this, i honestly cant see them deliberately screwing over anyone for the sake of a couple of domains so im pretty sure there is more to this than meets the eye at the outset.

Regards,

Lee

marcjacob
    I read through that thread too. The domain in question is still up and running, theyve just asked to see evidence of age, and their terms seem to allow that.

I think people like me, using affiliate content, and tgps/link lists are the ones to be really worried. I dont have 2275 for affiliate content. No one does. Would my sponsors provide it if i was challenged?

As a paysite though you should have all docs so can easily proove your models age if required.

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Quote Originally Posted by IntenseCash.com View Post
    I am concerned because this guy on gfy was notified from his register that he needed to send them 2257 documents. His register was DirectNic which is who we use for all our domains. Details are still coming in but he does not know who authorized it. Also in this thread WegCash had all their domains frozen for a day. Thread I got this info is at http://www.gfy.com/showthread.php?t=686213. Since when are registers policing content on domains?

Thanks,
    Mark
    Well, a close reading of their TOS shows they can suspend or lock IF they have evidence of CP, and gives them permission to "investigate", but the way I read it, they don't have the right to request ID for a model... that's just over the line, not to mention a violation of privacy laws in CA. In other words, if the Feds or somebody tell them to, they can suspend, but I don't think they have the right to do it on their own.

This trend of registrars appointing themselves Gods over your domain is just BS. GoDaddy has done all sorts of shady stuff like this for a while and apparently they've gotten enough bad press they are a little more gunshy than they were. But I agree that if DirectNIC is doing this, they should probably look forward to a mass exodus.

But who to go to? Maybe a registrar outside the US? I've been very happy with Enom -- you can reach a real person easily and they've been very responsive -- but they are US-based and perhaps subject to arm-twisting from Justice. Maybe MelbourneIT in Australia?

time to start moving all your registrations to an offshore provider too! Eurodns will be busy soon.