Thread: Co. building border fences fined 4 hiring illegals

Xstr8guy

Co. building border fences fined 4 hiring illegals

This would be a great joke if it wasn't true.
    A fence-building company in Southern California agrees to pay nearly $5 million in fines for hiring illegal immigrants. Two executives from the company may also serve jail time. The Golden State Fence Company's work includes some of the border fence between San Diego and Mexico.
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=6626823

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men? IntenseCash.com's Avatar
    LOL only in America.

Mark
    * IntenseCash.com - If you can't convert us you better look for a new job!

desslock
    Well considering US unemployment is 4.4%, the reason these people get hired is because companies must do this in order to get work done.

It is similar to marajuana use: despite the laws criminalizing such behavior, a black market will always appear to accomodate the demand. Of course, I support decriminalizing marajuana because it would benefit us overall to get out of the black market buying/selling operation.... and I feel the same way about immigration.

Of course, if we had an economy with extremely high unemployment and a decling level of GDP then we would not have this pesky problem of people entering this country and taking jobs from all this work going around.

Perhaps our government could take bold steps to create that, and then we might not have to keep living this horror.

Steve

U.S. employment at 4.4%? not in los angeles! and how are they counting this?

my friend just lost her job but since it was a "temp" job she had held for way over a year after using all her unemployment previously, she isn't eligible for unemployment. more and more people i know are having the same situation, and i doubt they are being counted in those stats. less and less companies can afford to pay all the stuff required so are going through temp jobs but the people with temp jobs get no unemployment and can be let go with no real notice.

after typing this, i thought of a bunch more people including my daughter and my sister who worked through temp agencies and received no health or unemployment benefits nor sick days nor paid vacations. it's only been in the last few years. most of them used to work directly for companies.

desslock
    I got that from the back of my latest issue of the Economist. Although, I just looked at the United States Dept of Labor page....

http://www.bls.gov/

Which reports it at 4.5%. And the rate is calculated using the same methodology that has been used for decades.

Now I know it is vouge to suddenly be outraged at how that employment statistics are tabulated (like Claude Raines was shocked to discover gambling going on at Rick's in Casablanca) but I still maintain that business is such that in the United States the amount of work available is so great they have to hire out of the black market of employment pool.... illegals.

*** by the way, the problems you point out to temp employment is ESPECIALLY true with California. Your friend might consider moving to Nevada or Arizona, like so many others. I have a friend who opens up new stores for Michaels all over the country. He's told me that California is the absolute worst state to open a store. As an example, because of California's recycling laws, they must hire extra people to do all this additional work which is not needed anywhere else... to separate out all the materials. And apparently Michaels does not pay people, even managers, salary in California... just some goofy hourly systgem... because if they did, they would have to pay into California's mandatory additonal programs. (something like cal osha?)

California has gone crazy passing boutique environmental laws and all kinds of worker protection laws.... which I'm sure is very nice if you are an elite living in the state. (who are the people passing such laws, coincidentally) These are textbook examples of how the laws passed intended to protect the everyman just ends up hurting them worse in the end. Raising the minimum wage functions similarly.

Perhaps California like a person diagnosed with a dying liver, but insists on drinking glasses of hard liquor in the dead of night out.

Steve