Thread: My dog is an alcoholic

Xstr8guy

My dog is an alcoholic

It's really not cool, but he screams until he gets a few licks of any citrus-based drink. Margaritas, Long Islands, Screwdriver... anything. He loves it all!

Should I worry about his liver? Or is a little buzz ok for a dog?

sorry... we've had a few drinks tonight. I'm going to regret this later.

I don't have any idea really...maybe you should consult a veterinarian...it might give you informations that might help you, and your alcoholic dog...
    :humble: :humble: :humble:
    Prime Outsourcing | offshore solutions | manual labor | employee leasing |
    full time employees starting at $695.00/month = managed and dedicated
    icq.: 309570461 live chat

Paco
    'em furry lil' critters have always been part of our family, which means they, like us, have enjoyed some vino with their meal.

If anything, I'd be a little (and I do mean a little) concerned, or cautious, about the amount of sugar you give yer lil' buddy.

Before I partake, I grab my “lil” Gangster and take him to his room. Funny thing is he quickly returns for some second-hand, before making his way to his munchies bowl. Soon after he smacks the bell for me to let him out (I’ve been properly trained), so he can sit on the balcony of his two-story walk-up and trip out.

Meow, my paws are huge!

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Liquorice loves gin+tonic, scotch, wine, beer.

The only thing she wont drink thats alcoholic is Jack Daniels, the only reason she doesnt like it is she got a shock one day trying to steal my drink, i guess she thought it was scotch and coke, it actually turned out to be neat JD, ive never seen her move as fast as she did once she realized LOL

Regards,

Lee

Paco
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Liquorice loves gin+tonic, scotch, wine, beer.

The only thing she wont drink thats alcoholic is Jack Daniels, the only reason she doesnt like it is she got a shock one day trying to steal my drink, i guess she thought it was scotch and coke, it actually turned out to be neat JD, ive never seen her move as fast as she did once she realized LOL
    Regards,
    Lee
    What's Liquorice's fav?
    Tanqueray (reg or Malacca), Citadelle, Junipero or Quitessential.

As for turning her nose to JD just means she is smart. (I'd rather suck on some WildTurkey!)

marcjacob
    Quote Originally Posted by Xstr8guy View Post
    Should I worry about his liver?
    I would say yes. We inherited a dog who liked to drink beer, the old owner gave it her all the time. She had major liver problems allbeit in older age. Hard to believe its a coincidence.

I would say go easy on it and try to find those flavours in non alcoholic form if possible. That said they always say its fine in moderation, who knows if that applies to pets aswell.

This is from the Catfancy site online - an article addressing concerns for the pet during the Holidays.

The holidays are a time to eat, drink, decorate and share good times with friends and family. However, the same treats and trimmings considered harmless for humans can be hazardous to your pet's health. The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center is offering pet owners some helpful hints to keep their pets happy and healthy during the holiday season.

Holiday sweets with chocolate are not for pets. Depending on the dose ingested, chocolate (bakers, semi sweet, milk and dark) can be poisonous to many animals. In general, the less sweet the chocolate, the more toxic it could be. In fact, unsweetened baking chocolate contains almost seven times more theobromine as milk chocolate. Vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, hyperactivity and increased thirst, urination and heart rate can be seen with the ingestion of as little as 1/4 ounce of baking chocolate by a 10-pound dog.

Keep your pet on its normal diet. Any change of diet, even for one meal, may give your dog or cat severe indigestion and diarrhea. This is particularly true for older animals that have more delicate digestive systems and nutritional requirements. Boiled or grilled meats and fresh vegetables can be offered as a healthy alternative.

Don't give pets holiday leftovers and keep pets out of the garbage. Poultry bones can splinter and cause blockages. Greasy, spicy and fatty for spoiled foods can cause stomach upset and moldy foods could cause tremors or seizures.

Alcohol and pets do NOT mix. Place unattended alcoholic drinks where pets cannot reach them. If ingested, the animal could become very sick and weak and may go into a coma.

Keep aluminum foil and cellophane candy wrappers away from pets. They can cause vomiting and intestinal blockage.

Be careful with holiday floral arrangements. Lilies are commonly used and many varieties including Tiger, Asian, Japanese Show, Stargazer and Casa Blanca can cause kidney failure in cats. Safe alternatives can include artificial flowers made from silk or plastic.

Common Yuletide plants such as mistletoe and holly berries can be toxic to pets. Should a cat or dog eat mistletoe, they could suffer gastrointestinal upset and cardiovascular problems. Holly can cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea and lethargy if ingested.

Poinsettias are over rated in toxicity. They are considered to be very low in toxicity, however, they could cause mild vomiting or nausea if ingested by your pet.

Christmas tree water may contain dangerous fertilizers, which if ingested, can cause stomach upset. Stagnant tree water can also act as a breeding ground for bacteria and if ingested a pet could end up with nausea and diarrhea.

Decorate your tree with animal safe ornaments such as dried non-toxic flowers, wood, fabric or pinecones. If ingested, ribbons or tinsel can become lodged in the intestines and cause intestinal obstruction. This is a very common problem with kittens.

HOLIDAY FOODS & BEVERAGES THAT ARE TOXIC TO PETS
    Alcoholic Beverages: Alcoholic beverages can cause alcohol poisoning. If ingested, the animal could become very drunk and weak, may become severely depressed or may go into a coma.

Yeast Dough: Uncooked yeast dough, if ingested (most cases are with dogs) can rise in the stomach and cause severe pain. Pets who have eaten bread dough may experience abdominal pain, bloat, vomiting, disorientation and depression. Since the breakdown product of rising dough is alcohol, it can cause an alcohol poisoning. Many cases like this require surgical removal of the dough. Even small amounts can be dangerous.

Chocolate (bakers, semi sweet, milk and dark): If ingested, chocolate can cause vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, hyperactivity and increased thirst, urination and heart rate. This can be seen with the ingestion of as little as 1/4 ounce of baking chocolate by a 10-pound dog. Chocolate poisoning does not seem to be a problem in cats, although it is possible if enough would be ingested.

Nicotine: Tobacco products can be fatal to dogs and cats if ingested. Signs of nicotine poisonings often develop within 15 45 minutes. Symptoms include excitation, salivation, panting, vomiting and diarrhea. Muscle weakness, twitching, depression, coma, increased heart rate and cardiac arrest can follow.

Coffee (ground, beans, chocolate covered espresso beans): Contain caffeine which is a stimulant and depending on the dose ingested, stimulation, restlessness, increased heart rate, tremors, or seizures could be seen.

Macadamia Nuts: Macadamia nuts can cause muscular weakness, depression, vomiting, disorientation, tremors, abdominal pain and muscle stiffness in dogs. The effects can last 1-3 days. This has not been reported in any other species.

Grapes and Raisins: The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center is aware of recent reports of dogs alleged to have developed kidney failure following ingestion of large amounts of grapes or raisins. There has also been one case of renal failure occurring in a cat who ate raisins. Veterinary toxicologists at the APCC are currently investigating these cases in an attempt to determine the causative agents or disease processes. At this time the exact role of grapes or raisins in these cases is unclear.

CamCruise
    Our late little girl never asked for a cocktail.
    She never had anything stronger than milk.
    She loved it. If the Daddies had a bowl of cereal. She had to have the last of the milk at the bottom.

Dzinerbear
    Oh man, our cat licks the tops of empty beer bottles. They usually sit on the kitchen floor in beer cases and she loves licking them. Drives us crazy because she rattles the bottles in the case, eventually we scream, "OJI!!!" And she stops.

Oh well, it's better than eating $1800 worth of thread and a visit to the vet.

Michael

marcjacob
    Quote Originally Posted by CamCruise View Post
    Our late little girl never asked for a cocktail.
    She never had anything stronger than milk.
    She loved it. If the Daddies had a bowl of cereal. She had to have the last of the milk at the bottom.
    I posted a while ago that i lost dog (as in she died) and it was a great comfort (and still is) that so many people have lost pets and feel/felt the way i do. They are a member of the family.

It amazes me how much people love/loved their pets. Shouldnt do though, i dont have a monopoly on that, but i felt a while ago like i was the only person feeling the way i did.

Thanks for helping me with that, i apreciate all the replies to that thread, it helped me sooo much.

Dzinerbear
    When we had to put our cat Tigger down three years ago, we were devastated. We had him for almost 18 years. (Well I did, I've only had Ted for 11 years.) We lasted for about four days before we couldn't stand the empty apartment. So on the Friday of Pride Weekend, we went to the Humane Society and adopted Oji and Kito, an adorable brother and sister team of kittens. Boy, did they ever brighten things up. These two have brought us so much joy with their unique and very different personalities. I wouldn't be without them.

Michael

When it comes to exploring the sea of love, I prefer buoys. SPACE GLIDER's Avatar
    I always wondered what "Spuds McKenzie" died of. His owner said he drank beer every day.

When it comes to exploring the sea of love, I prefer buoys. SPACE GLIDER's Avatar
    what? No one remembers Spuds?