Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Free Sites

Dzinerbear

Free Sites

Can someone give me a Free Sites 101? I've never done them, I've only ever done AVS and TGPs.

I know every link list is going to have it's own quirks, but essentially what is required?

Does the free site have to be multiple pages or can it be one page?

Do they all require 20-30 pictures?

Are there certain large pic size requirements?

Are there maximum recip requirements?

Do they do better than TGPs or it's just more of the same?

Thanks
    Michael

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dzinerbear View Post
    Do they do better than TGPs or it's just more of the same?
    There's an article floating around here somewhere that i wrote a year or so back that goes in to a little detail, you might want to see if you can dig it out of the archives.

So far as the portion of your post that i quoted, i did want to say that in *my* experience, free sites can do a lot better than TGPs however, they also have a lot more room to allow webmasters to do some neat marketing on them.

Regards,

Lee

How long have you been gay?
    I don't do free sites and haven't in years, but I do know from talking with Greenguy about the hosted free sites he is developing for ARS, there are a few things to consider.

1 - there needs to be a site title on the page itself (not just in the title part of the html)

2 - there needs to be a theme for the site - you can't just plug galleries into a template - when I build, I go backwards - build the galleries & then base the text & ads & whatnot for the entire site on the content (as opposed to just slapping 2 galleries after some crappy templates)

3 - I was really hoping I'd see 4 different templates when I saw the 4 URL's - when we build them, we use a template 3 or 4 times & then never again

Hope this helps

samebb
    Generally, as a simple low down, and rules on most link list require these.

1. 30 images (some now run up to a min. of 50)

2. index/warning page (place your recips, warning, enter button, and an ad (gaydmeon stopped allowing Ads on this page as maxpower stated)

2. "main page" another add, some text, and link to your 2,3 gallery pages

3. your gallery pages,

-------

Dont bother trying to blinklink anyone, the link lists are pretty up on it and will just blacklist you.

Another important one is the "name" of your free site. Dont try doing it as a H1, needs to be an image as some LLs dont accept text titles.

erm ? there really isnt a lot to it. Like anything, the more effort you put into the free site, text ads, page presentation, SEO ect the better it will perform, more places will accept and it, and ofcorse get the SEO right and it could prove to have great longterm results.

Oh a final note. Be careful on how many recieps you put on your index page, most LLs restrict to 8. This is where you can make "mirrors" of your free sites, but IF you do make mirrors target them to different keywords for SEO perposes

Hope that helps, just a bit of knowledge i gained over the years.

Carrie
    I find it really strange that the person who runs a LL directory would be asking this. :eek:
    As of today, GPP says there are 2,389 examples for you to look at and learn from. That's not enough?

Everything you need to know is right there in your link list. What a freesite should look like, how it should be structured, recip tables of LLs to submit to...

marcjacob
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrie View Post
    I find it really strange that the person who runs a LL directory would be asking this. :eek:
    As of today, GPP says there are 2,389 examples for you to look at and learn from. That's not enough?

Everything you need to know is right there in your link list. What a freesite should look like, how it should be structured, recip tables of LLs to submit to...
    I have to say i thought that too. Odd.

Dzinerbear
    Whatever. I accept all kinds of galleries on my link list.

It just so happens that I've never built a free site. And the rules for acceptance to my link list are pretty loose. For instance, I don't have maximum recip requirements or minimum numbers of pics. So if the gallery looks decent, has a recip, isn't a FHG, then I'll take it.

I also list paysites, but I don't know how to run one. And just because I can make a Mancheck gallery doesn't mean the same thing will be okay on UGAS or Global Male Pass. I think it's a fair question.

Carrie, nice of you to pull yourself out of lurk status to boost your post count to 13. Oh please, impart more of your wisdom on us.

Michael

marcjacob
    I agreed, ive got more than 13.

wnc
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrie View Post

I recall a few years ago at sites like netpond, they instructed newbees to create 100 free sites a day, as the way to be rich and famous, including the banners to sponsors of course. The template would be about 30-50 images and three pages. That, in my humble opinion, has overwhelmed the interent with boring sites, getting the attention of the USA government.

There are still a few quality free sites out there, not using the standard advised formula, that have bookmarked traffic for years, where a webmaster takes the time to be creative and update every month or so. Those are the ones that the surfer yearns for and what I reccomend you seek for inclusion in your LinkList.

Dzinerbear
    Well let me 'splain it to you marcjacob.

Just because you run a link list doesn't mean that you know what all the rules and idiocyncracies out there are. Frankly, I could give two figs what anyone else is doing when it comes to what I approve and don't approve on my own list.

But obviously if I want to build freesites for other lists, then I need some information, don't I?

I'm so sorry to have bothered you with my stupid question. Seems to me that I offered you a heap of advice and support in your "going independent" thread ... oh forget it, it's not worth the bandwidth dealing with shit like this ...

Michael

marcjacob
    I'm so sorry to have bothered you with my stupid question. Seems to me that I offered you a heap of advice and support in your "going independent" thread ... oh forget it, it's not worth the bandwidth dealing with shit like this ...
    Dont get assy dude.

All she was saying is that you auth sites every day so you can learn alot from them.

The best way to find out what link list wont allow is to read each ones rules.

Xstr8guy
    Quote Originally Posted by marcjacob View Post
    I agreed, ive got more than 13.
    How about trying to answer some of Michael's questions? You've received tons of advice since you've joined us. Instead you join Carrie in bashing a member with legitimate questions. Not cool.

marcjacob
    No. Carries wasnt and neither am I. What were both saying, and if you read my last post, is that a. he can learn tons from the sites submitted, and b. read the rules of every link list. They are after all, all different.

Now how is that either not advising or bashing ?

Get a grip.

Xstr8guy
    Dont get assy dude.

All she was saying is that you auth sites every day so you can learn alot from them.

Did you not read this in Michael's post...

I accept all kinds of galleries on my link list.

It just so happens that I've never built a free site. And the rules for acceptance to my link list are pretty loose. For instance, I don't have maximum recip requirements or minimum numbers of pics. So if the gallery looks decent, has a recip, isn't a FHG, then I'll take it.
    He was not judging sites submitted to his link list by any criteria. He was not following any standard link list rules. So he asked a legitimate question and hoped for some informative answers about free site rules.

Dzinerbear
    Dont get assy dude.

Sure, I could go and visit 40 link lists and start reading their rules. But sometimes it's a lot easier to get advice and pointers here, from people doing the work in building sites. Asking the question here gives me a framework by which I can judge what some of the other link lists are asking for and whether it's riduculous or not.

And hey, if you don't want me to get "assy" then don't be so quick to hit your reply button with a silly comment. Excuse me for admitting publicly that I don't know everything, even if I'm running a link list ... I'M STILL LEARNING.

Michael