I have been asked by many people to explain the Anime/Toon niche, why the content is so hard to find, and why it is more expensive than other content. So to that end, I am writing this article in hopes that it will answer those questions and perhaps others.

First of all, it might be good to review the terms used for this niche. Some of these you may be familiar with, others may be new. In Japan, the term used to discuss or describe "pretty young girls" is "bishoujo" (pronounced "bee-shoh-jo") This term can be seen (or heard) in any advertisement or publication that covers such works. This literally means "pretty young girl" or "pretty girl" - or, if you like, we might also translate this as
"fair lady". In Japanese, "bi-" means "beauty" or "beautiful" and "shoujo" means "girl" or "young girl" (note the long "o" sound... the short "o" word, "shojo", means "maiden" or "virgin", so it has a different meaning altogether.) With respect to terms such as "ecchi", "hentai" or "sukebe", the meanings tend to be a matter of degrees. The first term is the most commonly used - we'd say "naughty" or something similar, meaning naughty in a sexual sense of being naughty. "Hentai" or "sukebe", on the other hand, are extremely rude terms to use - they do not mean just "adult" as some people think, and they do not even only mean "perverted" or "perverted in a sexual sense". They imply "sexual pervert" in an extremely negative connotation - the type of thing we might scream "LECHER!" or "RAPIST!" or "STALKER!" about, for example. Since Japan places great importance on levels of politeness, speaking out loud about "hentai" or "sukebe" is not something that is normally done - it's perhaps equivalent to walking down a street or sidewalk in America and swearing out loud like a trooper. In Japanese popular culture works such as anime, manga, and games, the terms tend to be used as exclamations of insult or disgust to elicit a comedic response from the audience - we do the same in some of our mature comedies that contain comments or situations that would never truly happen in real life. The common misuse of the term "hentai" is somewhat similar to the formerly common misuse of the term "Japanimation". It took a lot of work over many years to get the general public to learn the simple term "anime" and get stores to replace signage to read "anime" rather than "Japanimation" - to this day, there are still various dealers or stores or sites that use "Japanimation" and do not understand the term "anime". Manga refers to “comic books” or illustrated erotic stories; most manga that is created in Japan is done in the traditional black and white, or pen and ink style.

Now here in the United States we commonly use Anime or Hentai to describe all art that is done in the Japanese style, and use the word cartoon to describe what we traditionally think of as American animation, such as Disney, Batman, Tom & Jerry, or my favorite The Road Runner. J In the Adult business however, “toons” basically covers anything other than Anime. It is difficult to change the traditional mindset since it is so embedded in our vocabulary, so much so that I even list content under hentai on my site, simply because no one knows to look or ask for ecchi or bishoujo. But webmasters are learning through research and articles such as this, to market the products by their proper names more and more, which will make it easier to break into markets other than North America.

Now on the subject of why the content is so rare and hard to find with legal web license. Japanese artists and companies are very hesitant to strike deals outside of their country when it comes to their artworks. The reason for this has a lot to do with the enormous amount of piracy on the web of these images. In Japan, single images which we think of as normal content for galleries, is extremely rare. Most images that can be seen throughout the net and the newsgroups come from Japanese Animated movies and video games. These images or stills are lifted directly from the movie or game and are traded freely among fansites and newsgroups with total disregard to the artists or developers. Unfortunately, there are also places out there that sell or lease these images as well, so know your provider! Now of course, this is not a phenomena that plagues only this niche as we know, but the Japanese are very sensitive about it, and that is why they hesitate to license out their single image artwork. There are a few content companies out there that have such images available, but the number is limited. Of course there are hopes and plans to expand their availability soon. J

Because such content is not readily available in large amounts from Japan, other content has to be created to fill a need for legal content in the adult industry. And the creation of that content is what makes it more expensive than your normal picture content. For anime or cartoon content, an artist must create an original image from his or her imagination, they must sketch the image, and color and shade the image, then scan the image and ready it for display on the net. With the obvious exception of what is known as CGI (computer generated images) each image is hand drawn and colored and can take an artist anywhere from several hours to days to complete. He or she can not just click a button on a camera and walk away with 200 or so images for a days work. So when you are buying anime or toon content, you are truly paying for a piece of art (with web license!). If you spent all day designing, building and painting a birdhouse for example, would you sell it for less than you put into it? Remember to, that the return on an investment in high quality anime/toon content can much higher than average photo content, simply because the niche is so hot and members are very loyal when they find what they like. It only takes one per sign up sale at any of the big sponsors out there to pay for a set of 25 images, and there are a lot of sponsors to choose from now too! The past year has seen a huge addition of Anime and Toon pay sites; because the sponsors know there is money in this niche!

Another great source of revenue from this niche is the very games and movies of which I wrote earlier. RPG Adult Anime games are hugely popular as are the large libraries of animated films imported from Japan. Translated into English and affordably priced, up sales on these items are great way to add income to the traffic you already have! For more information on this, just drop me an email.

I hope this has helped you understand this niche a bit better, and helps you appreciate the work that goes into it. I love this particular niche, and not only because I sell the content, but because of its uniqueness and beauty.

Article written by Bestat.

http://www.exclusivecontent.com