Thread: Banners: do they sell anymore ?

I'm very uncomfortable with the idea of vaginas. They bother me in the way that spiders bother some people. Huskyhunks's Avatar

Banners: do they sell anymore ?

Just wondering. I'm making new promo materials for Husky Cash and I'm wondering if banners still sell. I'm not sure what I'd put in their place but just asking.
    Artist/Painter and Webmaster of Huskyhunks.com.

maxpower
    I have not used "banners" in 3+ years, and will be offering other types of promotion materials, as well as a few banners with-in a few months of my soft open. I would not spend to much on banners, personally I think banners are almost worthless, in numbers above 15 or so. :flogging:

Xstr8guy
    Sure, banners are still fine. Imo, don't expend too much effort on boring 468x60 horizontal banners. If you are going to do horizontal, make them JUMBO. And spend more time on vertical banners (blog banners).

Bigger is almost always better.

marcjacob
    I agree, bigger odd sizes do better. I promote certain sponsors with banners only and they get clicks, just not as many as text links.

Madame0120
    I am in the middle of a banner exchange project for the traffic hubs.

www.gayxxxsource.com

I'll be around all of Monday doing them ..

Wana trade?

486X60
    Non X Rated
    Animated

206-856-063

Madame0120
    Quote Originally Posted by marcjacob View Post
    I agree, bigger odd sizes do better. I promote certain sponsors with banners only and they get clicks, just not as many as text links.
    When we first started in the biz, we asked someone WAY smarter than us, what was the one thing we should always remember, when designing a site.

The advice was to make it just a little bit different, no matter how small a difference and keep branding upmost in the mind.

We think we have accomplisted that with our hubs, that were recently re-skinned.

www.yourxxxsource.com

http://www.elitexxxsource.com/

Not only do we offer a pop-up free experience for our surfers, we keep the navigation very simple and clean. We believe that is why our page views are so high and why stats show a large % of surfers bookmark the Warning Page. I am aware that banners can be percieved as out-dated, however we aim for return customers, who trust they aren't going to be run all over the net, just to see some smut.

Inside, all the X Rated content is all high quality, which is licenced and tracked by us. Eventually, it will be updated weekly, then daily. I have just been deemed "geek enough" and allowed access enough, to be in charge of my own hub. :heartu: Can you guess which one?

The website ADs are odd sized and can be expanded to hot-link to gallery pages. Because our base skills are far from grapic designers, we encourage sponcers to build custom ADs, within our company guidelines and we know, those sites convert better.

Knowing many folks don't "do" banners, I'm not adverse to accepting a text link in exchange for your banner. Maybe I'm an odd surfer, but sometimes the banners are more intersting than the tours. Anyway, some flashy banners would dress our plain jane up some.

So while others are having a Big Time in VEGAS, ole Madame will be around, doing biz on the fly.

Our 1st Vegas Show

3rd Road Trip To Vegas `06

:crybaby:

Hope everyone at the show is doing great biz, and having a GRAND time.

Paco
    Hardcore banners sell (subscriptions) like hotcakes, while softcore banners do not work well enough for me to use-I'd rather move on to (promote) a program & site that offers HC material.

My biggest bitch is that too many are chicken shit to offer hardcore promo material, so I suggest offering them to your webmasters.

How long have you been gay? Panky's Avatar
    I prefer odd size banners, banners made to fit easily into blogs, and a mix between static and animated. When banners are used, I use them sparingly and most often use text with a banner.

Making Pain Pay!
    Quote Originally Posted by maxpower View Post
    I have not used "banners" in 3+ years, and will be offering other types of promotion materials, as well as a few banners with-in a few months of my soft open. I would not spend to much on banners, personally I think banners are almost worthless, in numbers above 15 or so. :flogging:
    If you don't use banners, can I ask what you do use? Or is it a trade secret?
    TropixxxCash.com is a CCBill affiliate program for the male spanking and punishment site TropixxxVIP.com.

:whip:

maxpower
    Quote Originally Posted by TropixxxStudios View Post
    If you don't use banners, can I ask what you do use? Or is it a trade secret?
    Not sure its a secret man, who knows how many people see my sites every day, but do not want to talk to much about my affiliate options I will offer soon. I will say that traditional banners, ½ page ads, full pages ads, and text links will play a much smaller role in my mind. I like some of the other options we have around, with a slight spin on things to make them more effective. :glasses:

Paco
    ^ HUH?

Soo...you'll ask for free advice but you won't share.

What is up with that?

Paco
    ^ HUH?

Soo...you'll ask for free advice but you won't share.

*my best Jerry S. voice*
    What's up with that?

sexyd
    banners have come a long way - a good real-time banner, a creative 1/2 page or full page will still do the trick.

I will agree that you have to be a lot more creative these days than before but anything's possible. It's a matter of tailoring a banner for the affiliates site and traffic.

Gay Marriage - It's our Pearl Harbor.
    What size banners are in demand now? What size do you look for to promote sites?

Xstr8guy
    Quote Originally Posted by FriskyMatt View Post
    What size banners are in demand now? What size do you look for to promote sites?
    That's a tough question. I'm not sure there are any new standard banner sizes. Blog (vertical) banners are very popular right now. But even they come in such a large variety of sizes... 140, 150, 160 pixels wide and 400, 500, 600 pixels high and MANY MANY more sizes below, above and in between those.

As I said in another banner thread... just keep your options open by designing big and then resize and crop to the other sizes.