Thread: Cybernet Expo is a "gay friendly" show

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LAJ View Post
    .... I want to go on the record as saying that IMO, yes, Cybernet Expo is "gay friendly"... in as much as we are friendly to any market or sector of the industry...... gay, straight, TS, BBW, teen, twink, bear, milf... and on and on. We give everyone a level playing field to sponsor, exhibit, attend and party.
    :nobody:

It's not like we're a bunch of timid little bitches that are afraid to step out and goto mainstream events

All these years LAJ and you still don't get it :kickcan:
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

Not gay but I play it on TV LAJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirt View Post
    :nobody:

It's not like we're a bunch of timid little bitches that are afraid to step out and goto mainstream events

All these years LAJ and you still don't get it :kickcan:
    Wow... so you speak for the entire gay community now eh squirt?

And who said anything about the community being timid? If you are going to be the community spokesperson, it would probably be best to lose the years of bitterness and not put words into other peoples mouths, no? Just not healthy...

Wow... so you speak for the entire gay community now eh squirt?
    And you speak for the whole straight community in declaring the Cybernet Expo "Gay friendly"? Are you serious?

Now granted there were problems in the past that pre-date my involvement with Cybernet Expo... and frankly I'm not even 100% exactly what issues there might have been
    Well, if there were problems in the past, and you're not 100% on what the issues were, then how have you worked past those old issues involving the Gay community and Cybernet Expo?

On one hand you're telling us that being Gay has nothing to do with networking and doing business at the Expo, then you make a point to say you're Gay friendly, a number of times.

Just tell us about the Cybernet Expo and that it's opened for registration and leave the whole Gay thing out of it. Lots of us goto all the shows and don't give a rats ass about playing the Gay card. Business is business.

Have you posted on African American adult webmaster boards letting them know you're "black friendly" as well? :innocent:

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

Quote Originally Posted by Squirt View Post
    And you speak for the whole straight community in declaring the Cybernet Expo "Gay friendly"? Are you serious?

Well, if there were problems in the past, and you're not 100% on what the issues were, then how have you worked past those old issues involving the Gay community and Cybernet Expo?

On one hand you're telling us that being Gay has nothing to do with networking and doing business at the Expo, then you make a point to say you're Gay friendly, a number of times.

Just tell us about the Cybernet Expo and that it's opened for registration and leave the whole Gay thing out of it. Lots of us goto all the shows and don't give a rats ass about playing the Gay card. Business is business.

Have you posted on African American adult webmaster boards letting them know you're "black friendly" as well? :innocent:
    I speak on behalf of Cybernet Expo. I forgot that carrying on a rational discussion with you is impossible, thanks for reminding me.

I speak on behalf of Cybernet Expo.
    Now granted there were problems in the past that pre-date my involvement with Cybernet Expo... and frankly I'm not even 100% exactly what issues there might have been.

:thumbsup:

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    LAJ,

We've never attended Cybernet. We considered it a year or two ago, when someone was actively courting gay attendees, but it just didn't fit into our schedule.

I can't speak for any other webmasters, but for us, 4 weeks advance notice is waaaaaay too short a time for us to be able to seriously consider attending a new show. Not to say we've never done it - our first Phoenix Forum we went to with about 10 days notice - but now we're a little more schedule-conscious and things have to be fit into the mix.

I don't think anyone was saying that you were intentionally blowing off gay webmasters, but when you have been promoting the show on a dozen other boards (many of which probably do not have a significant gay webmaster presence on them) and wait until 4 weeks beforehand to make any mention on either of the two highest traffic gay boards, it does tend to look like an afterthought.

Forward thinking gay webmasters want to network with straight companies, no question. But we also appreciate creating opportunities to network with people we already know, and it's nice to have seminars, parties, or events focused on our community, in part because it's an easy networking opportunity and in part because there's no question that at least a few straight webmasters are not very comfortable or open about mingling and interacting with people on the gay side of the industry.

So... next year, if you want more gay presence, seek out some people on the gay side of the industry early in the production cycle of the show, find out what you can do to make the show more inviting, and start communicating with the community in the places where the community hangs out... and you'll almost certainly get a warm reception.

Quote Originally Posted by gaybucks_chip View Post
    LAJ,

We've never attended Cybernet. We considered it a year or two ago, when someone was actively courting gay attendees, but it just didn't fit into our schedule.

I can't speak for any other webmasters, but for us, 4 weeks advance notice is waaaaaay too short a time for us to be able to seriously consider attending a new show. Not to say we've never done it - our first Phoenix Forum we went to with about 10 days notice - but now we're a little more schedule-conscious and things have to be fit into the mix.

I don't think anyone was saying that you were intentionally blowing off gay webmasters, but when you have been promoting the show on a dozen other boards (many of which probably do not have a significant gay webmaster presence on them) and wait until 4 weeks beforehand to make any mention on either of the two highest traffic gay boards, it does tend to look like an afterthought.

Forward thinking gay webmasters want to network with straight companies, no question. But we also appreciate creating opportunities to network with people we already know, and it's nice to have seminars, parties, or events focused on our community, in part because it's an easy networking opportunity and in part because there's no question that at least a few straight webmasters are not very comfortable or open about mingling and interacting with people on the gay side of the industry.

So... next year, if you want more gay presence, seek out some people on the gay side of the industry early in the production cycle of the show, find out what you can do to make the show more inviting, and start communicating with the community in the places where the community hangs out... and you'll almost certainly get a warm reception.
    So noted, gaybucks_chip. Thanks for taking the time to offer me your constructive criticism. It's unfortunate that you won't be able to attend the show this year, and while I appreciate that you've given it thought in the past, I understand where you are coming from with scheduling. Many folks choose to make plans a month out or less, I realize now that I should have come here sooner to discuss, or at the very least not try to kill two birds with one stone (show promotion and reaching out to the gay community). I'm sure you understand it's no easy task putting together a trade show and pleasing everyone? Regardless, I will be doing things a bit differently for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by gaybucks_chip View Post
    That's a good point and something I didn't think about.

Despite LAJ I've heard the Cybernet Expo is a great unique venue for people looking to do business. I'm sure I'll be going next year, it's just to short notice this year, and I'm half way round the world

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com