Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for new webhost...

It's weird that one group would take refracted light. Pretty greedy, gays. EonFilms_Rocky's Avatar

Looking for new webhost...

I love Luke to death and he has been a great host, but the migration from Chilihost to National Net leaves me without self-management of my server. I need a service that allows me full, personal access to email management and a cpanel. I have to be able to ban ip's, create password directories and have password management without having ot open a trouble ticket each time I need to make a change or do maintenance.

Any ideas?

Rocky
    AIM: EonFilmsSDiego
    AIM Mobile: BeachBoiSDiego
    Yahoo: sandiegoartpunk
    MSN Messenger: beachboi4free@hotmail.com
    Phone: 619-944-6383
    MySpace: www.myspace.com/eonfilms & www.myspace.com/mynameisrocky

have you asked natnet if they can do that for you? i know tony and cam hvae cpanel in their new natnet server although i don't know whehther natnet would offer you the rest of it.

my host is http://www.hosthead.com and we've been happy there for 2 years now. the owner, brad, is very accomodating and has done pretty much everything we've asked.

also i've heard nothing but good about http://www.isprime.com , so you might want to check them out.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Quote Originally Posted by basschick View Post
    have you asked natnet if they can do that for you? i know tony and cam hvae cpanel in their new natnet server although i don't know whehther natnet would offer you the rest of it.
    Actually, as it happens yesterday i beleive i asked if they could let me have bandwidth stats, like CPanel used to have at ChiliHost on an individual domain basis and i was told that wasnt an option.

For the same reason we're currently considering another host move although nothing has been decided yet for definate, to me, being able to see which sites/domains are using how much bandwidth is important and i dont really want to have to spend 2-3 hours going through awstats compiling the data manually.

As much as i love the guys at NatNet, im a stats junky and not being able to see where im using bandwidth is a major issue for me.

Regards,

Lee

Rocky, sad to see you go. I believed that NationalNet's solution offering you a custom built interface to control all that you needed was good, topped with 24x7 phone and helpdesk support, but of course this is a business decision for you and I always respect that.

Lee, have you contacted the helpdesk to see if they can suggest a different stats package for you? They are very helpful and will install scripts or packages for no extra fees, as long as you have any required licenses. I am betting they will be able to provide you with an awesome stats solution.

cheers,
    Luke

How long have you been gay?
    Lee,

I emailed you yesterday with a solution for this issue. I just resent it. Please tell me if you're not getting my emails.

Rocky, I can echo what Luke said. I really tried to accommodate you, and I'm sorry we could not come to terms.

Bill

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Luke/Bill,

Couldn't Rocky install Webmin and do most of what he needs that way? Or is there a proprietary NatNet interface that precludes such a thing? Granted, Webmin isn't cpanel, but it's serviceable for most things one needs to do.

Do NatNet customers have root access to their boxes? Could Rocky learn the not-that-complicated ways to do what he needs through the command line?

As someone who has been considering a move to Nat Net, these would be important considerations for me.

How long have you been gay?
    Quote Originally Posted by gaybucks_chip View Post
    Luke/Bill,

Couldn't Rocky install Webmin and do most of what he needs that way? Or is there a proprietary NatNet interface that precludes such a thing? Granted, Webmin isn't cpanel, but it's serviceable for most things one needs to do.

Do NatNet customers have root access to their boxes? Could Rocky learn the not-that-complicated ways to do what he needs through the command line?

As someone who has been considering a move to Nat Net, these would be important considerations for me.
    Hi there,

NationalNet does full-managed hosting. Now, many hosts say "fully managed server" then proceed to give you a control panel so that YOU can manage it. We, on the other hand, become your system administrators and your control panel, thus having much more granular control and removing the security concerns that come with control panels. We do everything for our customers short of actually building their web sites...and we do it all in "NationalNet speed".

As you may or may not know, we provide hosting for some of the largest companies in our industry (PentHouse, JustUsBoys, Karups, Vivid, LightSpeed, PlatinumBucks, Camz, Shemp, AL4A, Twistys, ConsumptionJunction, TripleXCash, TeenRevenue, SweetEntertainment and Shaw Internet…just to name a few). They host with us because we manage everything for them, which means we understand their needs better and have their best interests in mind...and that's 24/7/365. If you manage your own server, you don't get that 24/7 love

We are looking at other solutions for Rocky, and I appreciate your input.

As for me, I am off to enjoy my weekend

-- Bill

It's weird that one group would take refracted light. Pretty greedy, gays. EonFilms_Rocky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lbbv View Post
    Hi there,

NationalNet does full-managed hosting. Now, many hosts say "fully managed server" then proceed to give you a control panel so that YOU can manage it. We, on the other hand, become your system administrators and your control panel, thus having much more granular control and removing the security concerns that come with control panels. We do everything for our customers short of actually building their web sites...and we do it all in "NationalNet speed".

As you may or may not know, we provide hosting for some of the largest companies in our industry (PentHouse, JustUsBoys, Karups, Vivid, LightSpeed, PlatinumBucks, Camz, Shemp, AL4A, Twistys, ConsumptionJunction, TripleXCash, TeenRevenue, SweetEntertainment and Shaw Internet…just to name a few). They host with us because we manage everything for them, which means we understand their needs better and have their best interests in mind...and that's 24/7/365. If you manage your own server, you don't get that 24/7 love

We are looking at other solutions for Rocky, and I appreciate your input.

As for me, I am off to enjoy my weekend

-- Bill
    Right, but as I have said, I run a live cam site and need immediate access to certaian features at all times. I need to change a password immediately, ban a problematic chatter immediately, protect a directory immediately. These are not issues that I can open a trouble ticket and wait 5 minutes for. They must be handled promptly and quickly. Five minutues is a lot of time for a model to endure when they are being hrrassed by a jerk in their live chatroom during a cam show.

I hope that you can find a solution.

Rocky
    AIM: EonFilmsSDiego
    AIM Mobile: BeachBoiSDiego
    Yahoo: sandiegoartpunk
    MSN Messenger: beachboi4free@hotmail.com
    Phone: 619-944-6383
    MySpace: www.myspace.com/eonfilms & www.myspace.com/mynameisrocky

Rocky, you know I go out of my way to keep you guys happy...and I think we have a perfect solution for you. I have to get a few small details sussed out first but it should be everything you want.

Chip, as I mentioned, the support guys do everything possible to help out, including installing any special scripts or packages. But when it comes down to it, most of the time its a lot easier to just say "do this for me" instead of trying to do it yourself and ending up with a fucked up situation that has to be fixed, and thats where NatNet shines...just ask and usually within 5 minutes they are working on it for you.

cheers,
    Luke

We moved our sites to NatNet as well, but were told we couldn't have stats because of the demand it puts on the server. What do we have to do? We need to see stats.

Latin Niche site - 50% Revshare!! MiamiB's Avatar
    As I announced last mouth we relocated our operations to Argentina. I was having a problem with sending email and the problem turned out to be with my new ISP. I contacted NatNet and I had a work around solution to my problem!

They were very responsive and professional so I have nothing to say except that my first technical issue was addressed and resolved quickly.

Lee
    MiamiBoyz.com
    Online Since 1999!
    Make 50% initial signup AND 50% recurring![/B] http://www.MiamiBoyz.com
    NEW SITE TO PROMOTE - LatinPiss.com

Um, not to be harsh, but I'm not used to getting evasive non-answers to my questions, particularly from two companies and people with stellar reputations.

I'm well aware that NationalNet provides outstanding service and fully managed hosting, and that they will install and manage anything I ask them to. That wasn't the question I was asking. And I also am not interested in fully managing my own server, which is why I am considering National Net... we want someone to handle most of the admin tasks, but we still need flexibility.

What I was asking is whether I would have root shell access to the box. There are times that I'm troubleshooting something, or moving files, or doing this or that where it's a lot quicker to simply log into the box and do something quickly rather than call or put a ticket in and explain what I'm trying to do. I've been working with Linux boxes for about 8 years, and while I'm no expert, I do know enough to know what I *don't* know, so I've never screwed up a box, but there are times when it's a whole lot faster/easier/less hassle to resolve issues myself than to explain to someone else what needs to be done.

And likewise, if what Steve says is correct, I don't like someone telling me what I can or cannot install on the box that I am paying for (well, other than problematic stuff like IRC servers or warez or whatever.) I will take the input and consult with other people I trust before making any decision, but the final decision about what I want to put on the box should be mine, as I'm the one paying for the box, unless the limitations are clearly disclosed up front, before I sign up.

So the fact that my question was dodged by both of you I assume means that no, it is not under any circumstances possible for me to get root access via shell to the boxes I would be leasing. I'd just like to be clear, as it's an important issue for me that I'd really have to think carefully about giving up.

Steve, I checked your existing tickets and did not see any record of tickets asking about stats. Please open a ticket and request stats on your account. I am sure that they will be able to help you. If you have problems, please let me know.

Chip, I have always operated Chilihost with a strict policy that root access is not provided to any client for a thousand and one reasons. NationalNet is even more secure with their systems. For that reason, I will not ever say on any public forum that root access is allowed - thats just asking for trouble. As for stats, yes of course you can have stats, genearlly speaking all dedicated servers have webalizer/awstats on them and like I said, if you want something different you just have to ask (and provide any license if its a paid program).

cheers,
    Luke

Cool, I respect your position, just didn't realize that, nor did it occur to me to ask... so I'm REALLY glad this came up to give me time to think about it... it would have sucked to make the switch and then discover this was the case.

I've been using Phatservers for a couple years now and haven't looked back.

The BEST host I've had since starting in adult 7 years ago. Tickets are answered immediately. Anything I need installed has been done within the hour. :thumbsup:
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com