Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for new webhost...

Life is a dick and when itīs get hard---just fuck it... DEVELISH's Avatar
    I have cPanel, Stats, protected directories (.htpasswd & .htaccess), tech support, email configuration/webmail through a webgui, cronjobs and all that jazz.

now guess where I'm having my webspace (and NOT dedicated machine) :-P

:develish:
    :-D

Quote Originally Posted by Chilihost View Post
    Steve, I checked your existing tickets and did not see any record of tickets asking about stats. Please open a ticket and request stats on your account. I am sure that they will be able to help you. If you have problems, please let me know.
    OK, I'll put in another ticket. Apparently my last ticket went to sales, not tech support, but I did receive an email reply from someone named Bill and this is what he told me:

"Also, if you\'re referring to the web stats on the server, we don\'t do realtime stats due to the load that would put on the server."

I would like to get stats again, though. I'll re-enter a trouble ticket now. Thanks, Luke.

I'm confused

Has Chilihost sold all of its hosting clients to NatNet and now they all have to transfer over to NatNet servers? Chilihost is still hosting http://www.14boy.com , http://www.gayteenboy.us and a bunch more so are they totally out of the hosting business now or did NatNet just refuse to host these sites, or something else? What's the deal? It all seems very confusing
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Quote Originally Posted by citiboyz View Post
    "Also, if you\'re referring to the web stats on the server, we don\'t do realtime stats due to the load that would put on the server."

I would like to get stats again, though. I'll re-enter a trouble ticket now. Thanks, Luke.
    Steve,

To be fair, real time stats (i.e., updated instantly) probably would put a pretty heavy load on the server. Most Webalizer or AWStats or whatever run once or twice a day, but give you a complete stats report from the previous day, broken down in whatever way you want. Of course, it depends on the traffic hitting the site, and how robust the server is - anything is possible - but I find that we rarely need real time stats, and I can always go in and manually run the stats analyzer and see what's going on if I need to.

How long have you been gay?
    Hello EONFilms,

I would certainly like the opportunity to discuss gaining your business for Caro.Net. From reading through your post I am confident that we can deliver everything that you are looking for and quite a few of our staff members have done extensive amount of work with live feeds.

I am currently down in Miami and will be heading back for Tampa on Sunday but if the signal is good we might still be able to chat via my air card while we are driving.

Basschick please hitme up on Monday so we can chat!
    Mark M, 727-433-0745
    MMemmer@CaroHosting.com Support is everything!
    ICQ# 40467849, AIM MMemmer333

Yes, like Chip mentioned, awstats and webalizer are nightly or twice daily processes, they are not realtime stats

OK, I'll put in another ticket. Apparently my last ticket went to sales, not tech support, but I did receive an email reply from someone named Bill and this is what he told me:

Hi,

I'm Bill and I run NationalNet and also deal with sales tickets.

As a couple of other folks have stated, almost all stats programs are designed to be run periodically, usually after the web log files have rotated. You cannot do realtime stats with them because they don't have the ability to parse web logs in realtime and even if they did, trying to parse the web logs in realtime would be very hard on your server, unless you had very little traffic.

I do see that we've set up Awstats for you.

If you have further questions, or I am misunderstanding your needs, please feel free to email me at bill AT nationalnet DOT com and give me more detail about what you are looking for.

Thanks

-- Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Squirt View Post
    I'm confused

Has Chilihost sold all of its hosting clients to NatNet and now they all have to transfer over to NatNet servers? Chilihost is still hosting 14boy.com,gayteenboy.us and a bunch more so are they totally out of the hosting business now or did NatNet just refuse to host these sites, or something else? What's the deal? It all seems very confusing
    Hi there,

I'm sorry you're confused. There is a thread on the board that will clear things up. Sorry, but I don't have enough posts to post URL's so add http to the front of this.

http://forums.gaywidewebmasters.com/...ht=nationalnet

Basically, we migrated all of the sites/customers that were on US-based servers into our main facility in Atlanta. The sites/customers that were hosted in Amsterdam will stay in our Amsterdam facility. The Amsterdam facility will continue to run under the Chilihost banner for now.

There were not any sites that we "refused to host". The sites you referenced are hosted in our Amsterdam facility.

Hope that clears things up for you.

-- Bill

JustBryce
    Steven,

Have you tried Google Analytics? You just put a snipet of code in the footer of all your pages and then your stats crunching is handled off-server by google. It works really well. It is far more robust than anything else out there other than webtrends possibly. But its free and there is no load on your server.

We've been using these stats for years (since back when it did cost and ran locally as Urchin). I couldn't recommend it more highly.

Best,
    Bryce

We moved our sites to NatNet as well, but were told we couldn't have stats because of the demand it puts on the server. What do we have to do? We need to see stats.

Quote Originally Posted by lbbv View Post
    Hi there,

I'm sorry you're confused. There is a thread on the board that will clear things up. Sorry, but I don't have enough posts to post URL's so add http to the front of this.

http://forums.gaywidewebmasters.com/...ht=nationalnet

Basically, we migrated all of the sites/customers that were on US-based servers into our main facility in Atlanta. The sites/customers that were hosted in Amsterdam will stay in our Amsterdam facility. The Amsterdam facility will continue to run under the Chilihost banner for now.

There were not any sites that we "refused to host". The sites you referenced are hosted in our Amsterdam facility.

Hope that clears things up for you.

-- Bill
    It does thanks for taking the time to explain it to me. It makes sense those would be hosted in Amsterdam. Thanks again :thumbsup:
    Naked Straight Men on Squirtit & StraightBro

~ In Production ~

Blindfoldmen.com
    scifimen.com

JustBryce
    Quote Originally Posted by gaybucks_chip View Post
    Cool, I respect your position, just didn't realize that, nor did it occur to me to ask... so I'm REALLY glad this came up to give me time to think about it... it would have sucked to make the switch and then discover this was the case.
    Chip,

I understand where you are coming from on this one. We had our own server admin working for us until we went to National Net. He did everything for us. We even ran our own DNS with our own Class C and our own mail servers. I was very nervous about giving up root access when we moved.

That being said I've never thought about it again since going to Nat Net. We really haven't needed any more power than we've been given. You can have a whole lot of access to a box without being root . So no I can't modify my httpd.conf and restart apache myself. I also can't remote powercycle the box, but other than that I can do most anything else that needs to be done. There are other things like installing libraries and stuff that one may have to do from time to time, but those nat net guys have seen it all and any task I can think of to do, they can do in 1/2 the time it takes me and more than once they have been able to suggest an alternative to what I was thinking that was more efficient or robust.

You may very well have a different kind of system than us, but this has just been my experience and I felt I could identify with your concerns about loosing root. It was something I definitely wrestled with when we made our move.

JustBryce
    Quote Originally Posted by EonFilms_Rocky View Post
    Right, but as I have said, I run a live cam site and need immediate access to certaian features at all times. I need to change a password immediately, ban a problematic chatter immediately, protect a directory immediately. These are not issues that I can open a trouble ticket and wait 5 minutes for. They must be handled promptly and quickly. Five minutues is a lot of time for a model to endure when they are being hrrassed by a jerk in their live chatroom during a cam show.

I hope that you can find a solution.

Rocky
    Rocky,

Is there not a way you can take care of this problem programatically? We can ban people via IP without ever needing root. Most programs allow you to ban IP addresses such a vbulletin, phpbb, the wiki projects, nats, strongbox, etc. etc. Those all allow you to change passwords immediately as well. We also have it built in to our custom systems. Maybe there is a simple programming solution that will still allow you to do what you need to. Even from the standpoint of efficiency it would seem that using a handy master control panel to accomplish those tasks would be easier than wondering around a bash shell typing in commands as root.

Btw, you mentioned the need to protect directories, but you should still be able to make use of .htaccess (which apache gives priority to) to protect directories. You don't need root to do that, unless you have something really propriatary going on, which you may.

I don't know your systems, but it was just a thought that occured to me and might work for you.

Thanks Bill, Luke, Chip and Bryce for their explanations and advice. It's much appreciated.

Try Steadfast

They have great support and the prices competitive.

http://steadfast.net/

We have been using them almost two years.