Thread: has anyone noticed weird Windows Media encoding problems?

On the other hand.... You have different fingers

has anyone noticed weird Windows Media encoding problems?

End of last week, Microsoft forced some sort of update that required a reboot to all of our computers. Since then, we have been having all sorts of weird problems trying to encode Windows Media using either Premiere or Windows Media Encoder.

At first I couldn't figure out what had happened, since everything was working fine early last week, and then, all the sudden, NONE of our machines will encode WM from either app.

Anyone experience something similar? Any idea how to fix it? (And don't say "buy a Mac"... we already know that solution and are considering it...)

rkobcan
    I bought a mac

Ounique
    Quote Originally Posted by gaybucks_chip View Post
    End of last week, Microsoft forced some sort of update that required a reboot to all of our computers. Since then, we have been having all sorts of weird problems trying to encode Windows Media using either Premiere or Windows Media Encoder.

At first I couldn't figure out what had happened, since everything was working fine early last week, and then, all the sudden, NONE of our machines will encode WM from either app.

Anyone experience something similar? Any idea how to fix it? (And don't say "buy a Mac"... we already know that solution and are considering it...)

Uninstall WMP and redownload and install it maybe.

I need a Mac =-p

I just want to say Mac isn't the end all be all either.

as of yet I have not found a batch picture compressor for the Mac

rkobcan
    Any here that will do?

http://www.pure-mac.com/gifanim.html

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ounique
    Quote Originally Posted by rkobcan View Post
    Any here that will do?

http://www.pure-mac.com/gifanim.html

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
    i'll check it out thanks!

You can also try www.macupdate.com - there a tons of mac software on there.

samebb
    Sorenson Squeeze is working fine for me.

That might help ya out.

Yah, we have a different problem with Squeeze... for some reason it fails when encoding files that are over a certain size or certain length (haven't figured out which)... I think we need to upgrade, we're running a pretty old one, 4.3.

Big Hands/Big Feet=Expensive shoes & gloves!
    Quote Originally Posted by gaybucks_chip View Post
    Yah, we have a different problem with Squeeze... for some reason it fails when encoding files that are over a certain size or certain length (haven't figured out which)... I think we need to upgrade, we're running a pretty old one, 4.3.

I'm tired so don't quote me on this, but I think the new length for one vid that can be encoded is around 4.2 gigs or something like that. Granted, who makes videos that big? But if you are, could be one of the reason you are having problems. I haven't noticed anything unusual myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Mansized View Post
    I'm tired so don't quote me on this, but I think the new length for one vid that can be encoded is around 4.2 gigs or something like that. Granted, who makes videos that big? But if you are, could be one of the reason you are having problems. I haven't noticed anything unusual myself.
    Really?! If that's the case, that's definitely our Sorenson problem. It chokes on our longer segments (whicn can be 20-30 minutes). I don't think the old version did that. Of course, after encoding, they are maybe 150-250mb... but it seems to me that you should be able to encode a 25 minute clip if you want to... although Sorenson seems to be moving in the direction of "to serve me better" limiting the number of files I can encode and so forth... so it wouldn't surprise me.