Thread: Gay Bishop Gets Married - Church Is Pissed

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

Yeah Gay Bishop Gets Married - Church Is Pissed

(San Francisco, California) 78 year old Rev. Otis Charles who did not come out until after he retired as Episcopal Bishop of Utah in 1993 has been given a stern reprimand by the church for marrying his longtime partner.

After he retired Charles moved to San Francisco where he became active with a local gay Episcopal group and served as bishop-in-residence at an Episcopal Church in San Francisco.

When the city began issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples in February, Charles and his partner of two years, Felipe Sanchez Paris, took the plunge.

But, this week Charles was informed that his license to officiate at church services or preside over the church's sacramental ceremonies was revoked by San Francisco Bishop William Swing.

Charles says he can't figure out why the action was taken, but he thinks that an article in the San Francisco Chronicle about his wedding had something to do with it.

He said that Swing, who has in the past been a supporter of gays, was informed two weeks before the wedding that the couple was planning to wed.

Swing supported the election of Gene Robinson as Bishop of New Hampshire and has endorsed blessing ceremonies for same-sex couples.

The Episcopal Church has been under siege from within as conservatives threaten a schism over what they see as a liberalization in the faith's position on gays.

The church where Charles and Sanchez Paris were married is also under investigation to determine if it broke church rules.
    http://www.365gay.com/newscon04/05/050804episcMarr.htm

LOL I love it.

The church should be glad that he waited until AFTER he retired! Imagine the scandal if he hadnt

Regards,

Lee

Jasun
    So.. this has little to do with that story.. but it seems appropriate anyway..

I went out to brunch with my buddies today... there was a couple sitting close to us, and I guess one of the guys must have made a comment about me being gay or something, cuz the guy sitting next to us opened his newspaper to a full page add taken out by some Christian wing-nut group in the National Post against same sex marraige, and he held it facing our table for about 10 minutes. his girlfriend kept telling him to put it down, but he kept giggling at her... the only people who noticed were me and the guy sitting next to me, but it was really weird... I've never seen an issue make such a bunch of bratty assholes out of so many people...

Darren Austin
    That is awesome, the world is changing!
    I think he would be a great guest on the show hmmmmmmmm (wheels turning)