Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Im Straight but work for a company that has Gay Content only..

graphicsbytia
    Originally posted by Content Guy Derek

Lee why dont you ask that question?
    You know i would LOVE for this question to be asked on a primarily straight message board such as PJ's or GFY

Graphicsbytia the reason I asked this question was I was prepared to not taken seriosly and or joked about behind peoples back.

any jokes would be from pure jealousy, and not to be taken to heart. I post a lot on GFY and this is what I see behind all the haters posts. Jealousy and fear can eat a person's heart out, but if you see it for what it is, you can feel sorry for them instead.

Kath
    Originally posted by Dzinerbear
    What is bothering me, however, is the recently spat of straight webmasters popping in here with questions like: what's the best selling gay niche or who are highest converting sponsors? It reminds me of people popping into the search engine board and asking: How do I get a top ten ranking in Google?
    I agree with you. This is actually a pet peeve of mine in ANY market - not just the gay market. Newbies who don't make the effort to learn how to work the business through experience, trial & error and research of the market before they dive in - folks who just post on a board asking "how do you make money?" so they can copy/reproduce and make $$$ off your years of hard work.

I'm all for educating newbies - the folks who want to LEARN. However, I'm NOT for giving newbies the keys to success that others have worked hard to EARN. A few tips, some industry resource links, a point in the right direction, maybe a little critique of their site... but after that, nada. I'm not a newbie hater - I'm an industry supporter and community member. You've gotta respect the work that everyone else has done, learn the biz and then make it your own.

(whew.... somebody stop me from getting on that soapbox the next time!)

Oh... and welcome to the board Derek - you picked a great place to post! Straight... gay... whatever... None of that matters because GWW is one of those rare boards that is just filled with friendly, supportive, hard-working webmasters!

Hope to see you keep posting! :groovy:

graphicsbytia
    Originally posted by Kath
    I agree with you. This is actually a pet peeve of mine in ANY market - not just the gay market. Newbies who don't make the effort to learn how to work the business through experience, trial & error and research of the market before they dive in - folks who just post on a board asking "how do you make money?" so they can copy/reproduce and make $$$ off your years of hard work.

I'm all for educating newbies - the folks who want to LEARN. However, I'm NOT for giving newbies the keys to success that others have worked hard to EARN. A few tips, some industry resource links, a point in the right direction, maybe a little critique of their site... but after that, nada. I'm not a newbie hater - I'm an industry supporter and community member. You've gotta respect the work that everyone else has done, learn the biz and then make it your own.

(whew.... somebody stop me from getting on that soapbox the next time!)

Oh... and welcome to the board Derek - you picked a great place to post! Straight... gay... whatever... None of that matters because GWW is one of those rare boards that is just filled with friendly, supportive, hard-working webmasters!

Hope to see you keep posting! :groovy:
    I am starting to agree with you on that Kath. I've always helped newbies as much as possible,in public and in private. I like making a difference in people's lives, it's one of the things that drives me. It's rewarding most times, but sometimes, I just end up thowing my hands up in the air. I doubt if I'll ever stop doing it, it's kind of set into my nature. It's true that learning something on your own is much better than having it given to you on a silver platter. I'm a good example of that. Buzzard always told me how to fix things on my computer and keep it running well. Since he died, I've had to do it on my own, and boy.. is it hard, but I'm learning

Chilihost- I wouldn't call it pain per say it's just different
    anal sex for the first time is a pain....oh you are saying you are NOT going to do this research, LOL!!!

cheers,
    Luke

Originally posted by Chilihost
    anal sex for the first time is a pain....oh you are saying you are NOT going to do this research, LOL!!!

cheers,
    Luke
    Luke -- you're just plain bad!!

... taking side bets on how long it takes us to corrupt Derek :fracais:

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Haha trust me Bec Derek is ALREADY corrupted

You should see some of the stuff he gets up to at the shows

Love ya Derek

Regards,

Lee

HeatherF
    Welcome Content Guy Derek.... you will enjoy it here I know I do...

Originally posted by LdyLnWolf1
    Luke -- you're just plain bad!!

... taking side bets on how long it takes us to corrupt Derek :fracais:
    3 days.....

Kath
    Originally posted by Lee
    Haha trust me Bec Derek is ALREADY corrupted

You should see some of the stuff he gets up to at the shows

Love ya Derek

Regards,

Lee
    Actually... even though Derek avoided me like the plague in Phoenix (private joke - )... I would have to say that I'm more worried that he will be a bad influence on Lee than the other way around.

And anyone who knows Lee knows... that could be a scary thing!

*ducking and running from both Lee AND Derek* :bow:

Originally posted by HeatherF
    3 days.....
    thanks for the vote of confidence!

cheers,
    Luke

Derek
    KATH!!!

Holy fuckign shit!! How the hell are you? Dont even start with me avoiding you. I have tried to meet up with you for the past three years and you saw me and didn't say a thing. Grrrrrrrr!

I agree with you Kath however I consider myself a newbie and I dont mind helping anyone if they did thier homework.

Tia i still need to talk to you thanks for the icq today.

I will continue to post here gay or not it's the most informative place to post I have been to.

TonyKink

Yeah

After reading all of the replies on this thread, it makes me feel good that I have joined this forum. There seems to be a lot of GREAT people here! I'm going to learn a lot!
    TonyK

McAttack
    That was a good thread to read. Firstly, How are ya Derek? Nice to see you here too and I hope to be able to grab some food with you at a show again soon.

Secondly, I just want to expand on what Kath and Dzinerbear were saying. Yes I think there are people trying to go into gay and asking "what works?" but that's ANY category. I myself have done it and picked Darren Austin's brain last year at the Toronto webmaster summit, asking hims some questions about the look and feel of a site. I didn't want to know "Which sponsor converts best?" or anything like that, just some guidelines and that's what I got and I went with it. I feel it's important to be respectful as you both have said of the other person when asking them questions. I don't want the secret to their success, but I'd like some information.

Hmmm... soapbox time huh? anyways, I'm still testing my stuff in the gay market, seeing what's working for me.

On a side note, to any other straighties working on this side. What do you find harder to judge, overall look of a site/page or the content? Myself it seems to be more the look of the site/page.

CX*
    Hey everyone

Im new to the board, but have been lurking for awhile. This thread has been really cool to read through and I have a good idea of why Derek asked this question.

I'm sure a lot of you remember some old threads a few months back on the Ynot board that brought this whole issue or question...

The problems I have with webmasters are universal... and no matter what they are promoting or what gender/preferences/lifestyles they choose doesn't affect those things in the least...

Derek when did your Co drop the babes :bow: ?

I'm A Confirmed Trisexual CuriousToyBoy's Avatar

Re: Im Straight but work for a company that has Gay Content only..

Do you have less respect for a straight person if they work within the gay internet community?
    Hey Derek - we have spoken at length before and nice to see you come out of the closet here at GWW!!

Seriously, with a name like "Lindsay" people think I'm a girl as often as not.

With a nick like "ToyBoy" people think I'm gay.

Actually, I'm a lesbian stuck in the body of this big bald ugly bastard!!!!

IMHO, it's all about judgements, and I judge people as people, sexuality is irrelevant.

I used to say often that I am not racist, sexist, homophobic, heterophobic or anti-semetic.

I HATE EVERYONE EQUALLY.

Jokes of course.

I think the actor Kevin Spacey summed it up best:
    I am not heterosexual, homosexual or bisexual, I am just sexual.

:bandana: