Thread: Lesbian Egg Donor has No Parental Rights

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

Lesbian Egg Donor has No Parental Rights

(San Francisco, California) A woman who donated her eggs for her partner's twin girls has no parental rights a California appeals court ruled Tuesday.

The woman, identified in court documents only as K.M. She donated eggs to her registered domestic partner, identified as E.G. who became pregnant and delivered healthy twins in 1995.

The two women lived together and raised the girls for almost six years. But in August 2001, the relations soured and they separated. E.G. moved with the girls to Massachusetts.

Both claimed to be the children's' mothers, but E.G. contended that K.M. had voluntarily given up any rights, while K.M. she never intended to do so.

A Marin County judge ruled that the egg donor had not shown her intention to be a parent at the time of conception and that the birth mother was the only natural mother.

A three-judge appellate panel on Monday upheld the ruling. In handing down its decision the court said that it was not deciding whether it might be possible in other cases for a child to have two natural mothers.

Diane Richmond, a lawyer for the birth mother said, "This ruling is a complete vindication of my client's position. It upholds the freedom of choice of same-sex couples that they can either be or not be the parents of children born to them."

The lawyer for K.M., Jill Hersh, said her client is considering an appeal.
    http://www.365gay.com/newscon04/05/051104eggAppeal.htm

I have to agree with the judge on this ruling so far as the 'parent' aspect goes however, to point i also agree that the other woman should have parental rights afterall, for 6 years the child had 2 mothers.

Kind of a freaky case in all honesty in that no matter who wins the child loses

Regards,

Lee

in most custody cases, the children are the losers :-(

but anyone who helped raise a child for the first six years should have visits as it will help keep the child's world stable after the child's parents break up. as long, that is, as there was no abuse in the home previous to the breakup.