Thread: Gay Marriage Constitutional Bans Fail In Louisiana

Have an idea and make it come to life! Gary-Alan's Avatar

Gay Marriage Constitutional Bans Fail In Louisiana

Gay Marriage Constitutional Bans Fail In Louisiana, Move Forward In North Carolina

http://www.365gay.com/newscon04/05/051204louisiBan.htm

(New Orleans, Louisiana) A proposed amendment to the Louisiana constitution to ban same-sex marriage failed by one vote Wednesday afternoon. The amendment also would have prevented the state from recognizing civil unions or domestic partnerships.

But, the issue is not dead. The amendment's sponsor, Sen. John Hainkel of New Orleans, can try to round up one more vote for the measure and ask for another vote while the House considers its own version.

Louisiana law already bans same-sex marriages but supporters of an amendment say the current law is not enough. Citing the court decision in Massachusetts that will allow same-sex couples to marry next week, backers of the amendment say only by putting a gay marriage ban in the constitution can they be assured that same-sex marriage will never come to the state.

The House version of the proposed amendment has cleared committee and has yet to go to the floor for a vote. During hearings, Chris Daigle, director of governmental affairs for Equality Louisiana, told the committee that backers have failed to show how the ban would strengthen families or trim the state's divorce rate.

Daigle called the bill election-year posturing pointing out that the measure's sponsor, Rep. Steve Scalise (R-Metairie), is a candidate for the U.S. Congress.

"It's wrong and it sets a dangerous precedent," Daigle said of the bill. "Who will be the next group targeted for discrimination?"

Meanwhile, in North Carolina, a bill has been introduced in the Senate to amend that's state's constitution.

Supporters of gay marriage Wednesday said the proposed constitutional amendment amounts to "codifying into law" biblical interpretation.

Among the speakers at a Capitol Hill news conference were several church leaders who support same-sex marriage.

"The debate over marriage equality in our society is a power struggle," said the Rev. Jack McKinney from Raleigh's Pullen Memorial Baptist Church. "Like all other justice struggles, the majority is unwilling to give up its sense of privilege easily."

McKinney, Rabbi Lucy H.F. Dinner from Temple Beth Or in Raleigh and other clergy cited Bible scripture that calls for justice and noted the Bible's teaching that people are created "in the divine image."

But, the sponsor of the measure, Sen. James Forrester (R-Gaston) says the amendment is necessary to prevent judges from overturning North Carolina's Defense of Marriage Act.

"The gay and lesbian communities are trying to get us to condone their behavior," Forrester said. "I'm not against gays and lesbians. They're nice people. I just don't think they should be allowed to marry."
    Beyond the impact on our community's rights, this proves... ONE vote can make a difference.

My best,
    Gary-Alan

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    LOL @ this..

"I'm not against gays and lesbians. They're nice people. I just don't think they should be allowed to marry."
    I have lots of gay friends too

Regards,

Lee