Thread: What Makes A Paysite 'Cookie Cutter'?

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

What Makes A Paysite 'Cookie Cutter'?

Just wondered what you folks thought about cookie cutter sites and specifically, how you define a site as being cookie cutter?

For me it has more to do with whats inside the site than the tour page for example, the same feeds being used, same content, same stories as well as the content being 'grouped' together in one category instead of being split into several different niches within the members areas of the site or sites.

I think for the most part as webmasters we tend to consider just the tour as the cookie cutter part of the site but *i* think ultimately the content inside the paysite should be the defining factor.

Would you agree with this or not?

Regards,

Lee

graphicsbytia
    To me it's what's on the outside . Cookie cutter sites are the ones that use that same old layout that Wyldesites first made popular years ago, one girl on each side, low opacity image background, list of features in text and at the bottom three buttons, members, join and tour. then 3 or 4 tour pages using the same template.

Having the same content on the inside for several paysites isn't where the cookie cutter phrase came from, I think it came from the look of the outside.

Cookie cutter sites are out of style in my opinion.

Kath
    Sorry to not be a tie-breaker but I agree with you both. I think cookie-cutter can apply to the tour (so many of them all look templated, exactly alike!) AND to the inside. I know that I am working with my clients to ensure that the members' areas are unique, content-filled and as exclusive as possible.

Gone are the days where you could have just 1 member area linked to 50 paysites and hope to make anything off it. You need to go that extra mile to make the conversion, prevent chargebacks and encourage retention. With all the Visa regs and changes in the traffic pool, retention is definitely the ultimate goal. IMHO the tour and the inside are both very important.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Originally posted by graphicsbytia
    Cookie cutter sites are out of style in my opinion.
    See now i disagree with that.

I think we have just seen the evolution of a new type of cookie cutter site.

You know, the new reality style tours, same layout on each page, mag style, 5 preview pics of each model/episode etc.

In all honesty cookie cutter sites are always going to be here to stay its just a case of which sponsor will be the first to launch the new style cookie cutter site.

Regards,

Lee

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar
    to me cookie cutter is the 600x400 designs with heavy graphics or the stretched version of it.
    and what tia said

in addition to the same old ounique images and plug-ins some sponsors tout as our "new" sites. where there's nothin' new about them but the name. and don't even get me started on sucky members areas and only 1 or 2 galleries covering the niche the site officially advertises and the rest being just filler plugin galleries

My interpretation is sites that look like they are nothing but the same as every other site, as in offering the same plugins, the same pics and this is all obvious in the same boring looking tours (especially when the talent featured in the tours is overused content)

And, yes, I think that the majority of sites are "cookie cutter" especially sites pumped out by the larger companies. That is why I always try to find smaller programs to promote!

cheers,
    Luke

graphicsbytia
    I guess I lean more toward the definition being for the outside because I hear it so often. People that want a paysite designed will almost always say.. I want something different, not the cookie cutter style you see on the big sponsor sites.

Also, I agree with Lee about the reality sites, although not really cookie cutter, the idea is all the same.. it's a fad.. and come to think of it, fads usually tend to run in cycles.. the last time reality shows on tv were popular was in the candid camera era, there were shows like The Art linkletter show, and the dating game, and that show (can't think of the name) that Bob Ubanks hosted with married couples, and other clone type shows like that. So, this makes me think that some day, maybe big single paysites will come back into style.. what d'ya think?

naw.. I'm probably just babbling..