Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you let someone down nicely?

AusCoding Allan

How do you let someone down nicely?

Hey guys,

Have a tricky one for you. This guy I've known for about five years (he's gay) just asked me out (I'm not) what is the nicest way you guys have ever been let down, I want to be nice to this guy, he's a great mate.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Allan

Jasun
    ok.... he's known you for five years, and presumably has known you're straight for five years but asked you out anyway?

Buddy, he doesn't need to be let down gently, he needs to be hit over the head with a large, heavy object. This may reset his grip on reality. He's obviously lost it, or has never had one to begin with.

Why don't you say somethng like "OK... I'm straight... you know this... what would make you think I'd wanna go out with you? Did you miss the whole... yoou-have-a-penis thing?"

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Use the age old line..

Im not gay but have gay friends who i can hook you up with

Regards,

Lee

Jason
    Originally posted by Jasun
    ok.... he's known you for five years, and presumably has known you're straight for five years but asked you out anyway?

Buddy, he doesn't need to be let down gently, he needs to be hit over the head with a large, heavy object. This may reset his grip on reality. He's obviously lost it, or has never had one to begin with.

Why don't you say somethng like "OK... I'm straight... you know this... what would make you think I'd wanna go out with you? Did you miss the whole... yoou-have-a-penis thing?"
    wow...that's a little more bitter than i expected from someone who is KNOWN for seducing str8 men. granted, getting someone drunk and fucking him once is a different ball game entirely from actually asking someone out on a "date" ... and you're right, bitter, but right. luv you

Ounique
    You know, I had a crush on a straight guy once. I was really into him and we had a great friendship. Sometimes you're blinded to the bigger issue of sexuality when you think there is a bond between you and someone else. He may think that you would be open to trying (which, in this day and age isn't really so strange) or that you feel the same way about him regardless of your being straight. I'd say let him down gently. Tell him you value his friendship and that you do like him as a friend, but that you just don't have sexual feelings for men and that would really hamper your ability to make take things in a physical direction with your friendship.

i don't know how well he knows you, but reminding him you're straight really should do it. if he knows fairly well, and knows your actively straight, perhaps he's rather self-centered.

they say it never hurts to ask, but it can really change a friendship to ask someone when you're not respecting their sexuality or boundaries.

Jasun
    Originally posted by 123Jason
    wow...that's a little more bitter than i expected from someone who is KNOWN for seducing str8 men.
    I guess I deserved that... and it's true, one of my favorite things is to get straight guys to give it up...just once...and I've been more than a little successful.

However, I'd never try it with a friend (especially a friend of five years), and I'd never actually ask straight guys out... I just manage to find myself in social situations where I can weasel out the drunk-and-kinda-curious guys.

And maybe the hitting the guy over the head is a bit harsh. In my defence, I just gave up coffee.

And quit smoking.

Jason
    cum visit me...i have a great way for you to work out all those frustrations

Have an idea and make it come to life! Gary-Alan's Avatar
    I just gave up coffee.

And quit smoking.
    At the same time???? Dude best of luck!

I tried that once... Nearly cleared out a WalMart when a clerk said something stupid - not pretty.

NOTE: Do not provoke Jasun!

Hugs,
    Gary-Alan

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    I guess I deserved that... and it's true, one of my favorite things is to get straight guys to give it up...just once...and I've been more than a little successful.
    Want me to play straight?

Regards,

Lee

Have an idea and make it come to life! Gary-Alan's Avatar
    Oz,

I'm with a lot of folks here. If you've been friends for 5 years, he should know better.

To be honest, my response would be that you value his friendship (if you do) but that your not gay. And, pretending otherwise would be a lie. If you did anything to make him believe that you were interested in him, beyond your friendship, it was unintentional.

That's the softest response I can think of.

And like Don, I had a crush on a straight friend a while ago (and I know he had one on me too). But I kept the constant reminder that it would go no where if we pursued it (and we would no longer be friends). We're still good friends. The inuendos fly (but that's part of the fun in our friendship). He's happily married, I'm hapily married and we all know each other.

If you let him know softly, and then continues to pursue something, Jasun's method comes to mind

Hope this helps.

My best,
    Gary-Alan

Let him down easy, eh?... try this:

"Your dick is too small. NEXT!!!!!"

Jasun
    Originally posted by Gary-Alan
    At the same time???? Dude best of luck!
    I tried that once... Nearly cleared out a WalMart when a clerk said something stupid - not pretty.
    NOTE: Do not provoke Jasun!
    OH man, and it's been that kind of day, too.

But I'll be fine... Today while walking to work, I past all those big tall buildings in the finantial district, and every single doorway and space and bench and corner is filled with all these suits and secretaries puffing away.. it was odd.. I walk past there every day and I'd never noticed that before. I must have seen about 200 people just desperately sucking away on their cigarettes...kinda made me sick, really.

I'll just have to find something better to suck on...

Lee... you said you can play straight, right?

She's a lesbian, that's what I'm here to talk about! BradleyFL's Avatar
    Well I guess i'll put my two cents in on this one. I have tons of "straight" friends but over time they have become curious. Most people know at least one person that wasnt gay but after that "drunken night" or at least thats what they blame it on, now are or at least they are open to it. This is something that sticks in your mind especially when you have strong feelings for someone that is straight and wish they were gay. You never really know until you ask them out. I mean you dont go and ask them "Hey are you still straight today" so over time, especially if you have a close relationship its most likely going to happen. Just tell him you are still straight, nothing has changed but do it in a good way. You dont want to lose

She's a lesbian, that's what I'm here to talk about! BradleyFL's Avatar
    Well I guess i'll put my two cents in on this one. I have tons of "straight" friends but over time they have become curious. Most people know at least one person that wasnt gay but after that "drunken night" or at least thats what they blame it on, now are or at least they are open to it. This is something that sticks in your mind especially when you have strong feelings for someone that is straight and wish they were gay. You never really know until you ask them out. I mean you dont go and ask them "Hey are you still straight today" so over time, especially if you have a close relationship its most likely going to happen. Just tell him you are still straight, nothing has changed but do it in a good way. You dont want to lose a good friend over something like this. :thumbsup: