Thread: supreme court refuses to block gay marriages

supreme court refuses to block gay marriages

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Thats great news :thumbsup:

The government has to address this issue properly now

Regards,

Lee

i wish you were correct... i suspect that we'll see some serious backpedaling from the christians and republicans, but it IS a step.

Patti call me an optimist

Although in all honesty, now that the supreme court has decided to allow gay marriages all it is going to take is a constitutional court case to be taken up by one of the gay rights groups and there is pretty much nothing the government can do imho.

Precedent has now been set and thats all that is really needed isnt it? Im still a bit sketchy on the way the US law works but i beleive from past high profile cases once precident is set thats all there is to it.

Regards,

Lee

not at all... they challenge things, and often overturn things all the time. and i'm not an optimist (as you probably realized long since). i'm not really a pessimist, but maybe a sceptic - with an all-too-frequently disappointed idealist peaking out.

that being said, the fact that gay marriages got this far is awesome! ALL people deserve the same rights!!!!! i was shocked by the supreme court on this, and - for once - in a very positive way.

Have an idea and make it come to life! Gary-Alan's Avatar
    Originally posted by Lee

Precedent has now been set and thats all that is really needed isnt it? Im still a bit sketchy on the way the US law works but i beleive from past high profile cases once precident is set thats all there is to it.
    Lee,

Patti said it best. There are challenges all the time. And if a lawyer and/or a judge can set a separate (but legitmate) angle to a case, the the precedent can be overturned. The key being a legitmate angle to challenge.

Another visible example I can think of is Roe vs Wade. This set the precedent for women having the right to decide about abortion. This is being pecked at all the time. While the original precedent holds, I know you have seen how things have been implemented that try to work around the decision (aka partial birth abortions, waiting periods, etc.)

I'm going to be optimistic about this one. This is a step in the right direction. This is the one branch of the government I always thought would be on our side (legally).

Gary-Alan

sarahwebinc
    I am getting my dual British citizenship sometime this year (if they accept me). You know what finally made me get off my ass and send off for the papers? Bush talking about ammending the constitution. The whole notion of legislating against love but not against hate (hate crimes, etc) just makes me ill.

Originally posted by sarahwebinc
    (if they accept me)
    Im sure they will hon

Afterall if they dont they would be crazy you are one of the nicest people i have had the pleasure of meeting outside the Internext showroom floor on the last day of a show LOL

Will you be attending the Florida show BTW?

Regards,

Lee

sarahwebinc
    well I was certainly the most persistant

I don't think I will be in Florida..it is all up to Todd and Vegas was a bit of a treat for me being the distance I had to travel - a very nice treat indeed.