Thread: Search Term Typos

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?

I Wonder? Search Term Typos

Okay been doing some SE work today and have noticed a lot of sites that are currently indexed for some popular terms are also ranked highly for some not so popular terms specifically, terms that have been spelt wrong on their site pages.

So my question to you is this..

When you do your sites text do you pay attention to typos and utilize them as a traffic source for the search engines? For example lets say you have a lesbian orientated site do you use the word 'lesbain' in the metas in addition to 'lesbian'?

I figure that there is probably some good money to be made from typos overall but where do you draw the line when targeting typo keywords?

So anyone tried this as a traffic generation method and if so, how did it work for you?

Regards,

Lee

I know there was a big rush to buy up tons of domains that were misspells -- I don't usually use the typos in my metas, but might consider it with the more obvious ones for a niche now that you bring it up. I have been seeing a LOT of the misspell domains getting dumped, so sort of doubt that really did much for traffic for them if it wasn't grabbing the SE and doing the redirect for them.

McAttack
    I've used it in my meta tags and also on some PPC campaigns. In PPC it means that I can get accidental traffic for a bargain. Let's say a keyword is worth $0.50 and you get a few mispelled ones around it at $0.10. If you get the traffic, it's the SAME quality as the 0.50 one, for 1/5th the price. can't go wrong with that. Just takes a LOT longer to setup listings.

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Actually you bring up a very good point i had never even thought about using typo keywords on Adwords :eek:

Hmm might have to do some playing around with our Adword campaigns later this week to test it out hehe.

Regards,

Lee

McAttack
    Hehe, yeah. you don't get a GREAT amount of traffic, but really it's not a loss cause it's PPC.