Thread: Buying content direct from producers

Xstr8guy

Buying content direct from producers

I posted this on another forum, but I wanted to get everyones opinion here.
    Because of my inability to find enough suitable content for my sites, I recently tried contacting 3 smaller Gay Adult Movie producers. I simply asked (in an informal email) whether they would license content for website use. All 3 responded positively; I am expecting 2 DVD's and a signed license agreement in the mail tomorrow from 1 producer, and the other 2 have expressed an interest and sound agreeable to some kind of arrangement.

All 3 of these movie producers have their own membership sites and I can't believe they would welcome the competition. I eventually would like to start my own pay site and full length movies and semi-exclusive content would definately give me an edge! I just don't want to do something that would bite me in the ass later... such as a revoked license agreement. The license agreement I signed looks pretty standard, but I worry that if I start a paysite in the same (small) niche, these other companies may not look kindly on the competition.

My question...

Have any of you guys tried this before and do you have any words of caution?
    Please don't take offense to this Don, as long as you keep feeding me hot hairy daddies, Ounique will be my #1 content provider!

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    We will occasionally do the same thing you did as a company.

Often as you say, companies will actually turn around and say no because of the competition angle however, we have picked up some really good deals by going directly to the source.

As of right now we are currently talking to a couple of companies about getting some more exclusive rights content for some of the Stud Money sites we will be launching in the next month or so.

Hopefully they will let us have the content we want :thumbsup:

Regards,

Lee

Xstr8guy
    Thanks for the input Lee. I feel pretty good about going straight to the source. Everyone I've contacted has been super nice.

One of the owners I contacted doesn't seem to know anything about licensing content. I had to educate him on the kind of arrangement I was looking for. I don't think any content broker has ever contacted them!

If Ounique is looking for a procurement salesman, I'd like to apply for the job!:goof:

You do realize by 'gay' I mean a man who has sex with other men?
    Originally posted by Xstr8guy
    I had to educate him on the kind of arrangement I was looking for.
    I hope you told him that it usually only costs $50 to license a full dvd :ahso:

Regards,

Lee

Xstr8guy
    Believe me... I thought about it! But I'm trying to earn his trust. So, I told him $150 (insert winking smilie here)

Xstr8guy
    I'm gonna keep posting a lot... just to see the new phrases by my avatar!
    Xstr8guy
    Any decent man you ever get is gonna find out you're half dyke and RUN.
    :groovy:

Ounique
    It'll all end in tears!!!

LOL! Just kidding. Xstr8guy, there are many facets to this industry and we all do what we can to make it work for us. No hard feelings. Of course, if you really liked me you'd send him my way when you're done.

Xstr8guy
    I'm willing to send content producers your way for a small commission:goof:

Ounique
    Originally posted by Xstr8guy
    I'm willing to send content producers your way for a small commission:goof:
    If it were up to me I'd be happy to, but unfortunately it isn't. We don't have a referral/commission program at this time. But thank you anyway.