Thread: FireFox 5 planned release for June

FireFox 5 planned release for June

Yup, only a few weeks after FireFox 4 was released, plans have been announced to release the next version FF5 around June 29, 2011. And it won't stop there, with version 6 and possibly 7 to be released by year's end.

As reported in Conceivably Tech
    Details about the next version of Firefox are slowly emerging. The browser will receive significant UI revisions and feature updates that will make Firefox more social and adopt several features that are already working well in Google’s Chrome browser.
    There are 9 features that FF developers are working on now (although some of them may not make the cut and may be moved to version 6 or 7):

1. Tab multi-select to let users select multiple tabs to close or move them

2. A new tab page

3. Add-ons will get standardized toolbar support

4. A file upload indicator

5. The Home button will be replace by a Home app tab. This appears to be an evolving feature and Mozilla is exploring ways how to get rid of the home button, while not damaging the usability of the browser.

6. In-browser preview: Firefox will also get an integrated PDF viewer (like Chrome) and will extend this capability to more popular file formats, including MP3.

7. Taskbar web apps: Tabs will get their own context menus that can be configured by website owners. Websites will act much more like traditional apps and core features as well as navigation items will be accessible via the site tab.

8. Identity management: to keep you signed in to websites via an integrated identity manager and may even support multiple sign-ons at the same time.

9. New sharing features: there will be a new paper plane logo in the URL bar that provides access to your social media accounts, to let you “share” websites directly from your URL bar.

Some interesting changes, especially when it comes to further integrating social networking aspects. This is a good reminder that social networking is becoming more and more a part of any user's experience, so we have to adapt to this and get social too!
    Luke H.
    Marketing Director
    Zbuckz.com, Jbuckz.com, Dickbank.com, Glamourbuckz.com

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar
    i will believe it when I see it
    Firefox has never been released on time, they're always late, although who knows Chrome is beating them so they may be scared of losing marketshare. Ive pretty much stopped recommending Firefox to anyone who asks me about computer help and direct them to download IE9 and Chrome

They have computers, and they may have other weapons of mass destruction x0pa's Avatar
    4 just came out... and i run into issues with it
    mainly with logmein, apparently firefox 4 runs in 64bit and the logmein is 32bit so i have to restart browser every time unless i launch firefox 4 in 32bit only..

though im really not sure what benefit im getting in 64bit mode
    Dade Williams