Microsoft reported that its first quarter profits (Jan-Mar 2011) were up 31%, thanks mainly to strong performance from their Office and XBox products.

In the Microsoft's Business Division – home of Office – revenue grew 21 per cent from last year, while the Entertainment & Devices Division – home to Xbox and Kinect – grew 60 per cent year-over-year.

The Server & Tools Division – home to Windows Server – saw revenues grow 11 per cent, and Microsoft boasted that this was the divisions forth consecutive quarter of double-digit growth. But the Windows Division saw a 4 per cent decrease in revenues. But Microsoft said this was "in line" with current PC trends. IDC has said that global PC shipments dropped 3.2 per cent during the quarter.

In the Online Services Division – the Bing division – revenue grew 14 per cent year-over-year primarily, and Microsoft attributed most of this growth to Bing.
I thought the last stat was particularly interesting, showing that Bing is becoming a successful search engine and generating new revenues. Once again, that tells me that I need to be doing more to get better Bing SEO results!