Thread: Intel shows off a new 3D transistor

Intel shows off a new 3D transistor

Intel has taken a huge leap forward in processor technology by unveiling its latest two accomplishments, a new 22nm manufacturing process plus a new "Tri-Gate", or 3D transistor.

Intel has been working on the 3D transistor for about 8 years now, and it demonstrated its first microprocessor called "Ivy Bridge".

The Tri-Gate transistor uses 50% less power and offers "unprecedented" performance gains, according to Intel. The company says that the 22nm Tri-Gate provides up to a 37 per cent performance increase at a low voltage compared to its 32nm planar transistor.

The new transistor is "ideal" for use in small handheld devices. Naturally, Apple was not mentioned. But the company did say it intends to use the new process with its mobile-centric Atom chips. The cost of building the chips with the new transistors, Bohr said, is two to three per cent higher per wafer.
    Ivy Bridge processors are scheduled for release in PCs, notebooks, and servers early next year.
    Luke H.
    Marketing Director
    Zbuckz.com, Jbuckz.com, Dickbank.com, Glamourbuckz.com

Am I Bitter?...Absolutely
    Damn.. Now I may have to struggle and wait on that. Errr....

No waiting for me, I have to get a new laptop very soon as mine is dying quickly! I actually tried to buy one this weekend but the entire country is out of 17" MacBook Pro laptops, so it looks like I will either have to order one or wait till I get to the USA again.
    Luke H.
    Marketing Director

Can not ship to Panama?? I would have thunk you could.

Can you buy them in english there?

I can get one shipped, yes, but then it will cost a lot more as I have to pay the customs and duties as well as courier fees. The Mac shops here sell english and spanish versions, but they have been sold out for a while. I may have to get one shipped anyway!
    Luke H.
    Marketing Director

Hrmm. Yeah I hear you on the duties.. I wanted to buy some Ram for this one and check here. 800$ US to get 4 gigs of ram.. But I am lucky and have a friend that lives here and works in NY and he brought it down for me. cost me 247 for the ram and thats it.

Need a new laptop for video rendering and such so Im just going to have him bring it as here they do not sell in english.