Thread: Apple scareware virus

Apple scareware virus

Mac users are no longer safe from viruses and scams. In the past few weeks, a large number of Mac users have reported issues with "scareware" viruses being installed on their machines. Scareware installs its program and then starts warning users of infections and demands that they pay for a removal product, like MacDefender, MacSecurity and MacProtector. The programs are real looking and you can find websites associated with them, but they are generally run by thieves who use your credit card details for further fraudulent purchases and charges.

Here's how the infection happens. In Safari, default mode enables downloading of safe files. The scareware begins this automatic process and then once its ready to install, Mac pops up the password prompt to finish the install. If a Mac owner types in his password, the virus installs. On the next reboot, the virus starts reporting bogus infections and asks for payment to clean them up.

Apple originally denied this was happening, but has since put up a how-to guide to remove these scareware infections as it was overloaded with support calls. You can see this how-to at http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4650

Looks like its time for Mac users to get protected!
    Luke H.
    Marketing Director
    Zbuckz.com, Jbuckz.com, Dickbank.com, Glamourbuckz.com

Gay Journalist and erotic video producer.
    Itinerant photographer, now in Liverpool... and on Stripchat and Streamen and Chaturbate.
    In Safari, I have my Preferences set so that downloads are to my flashdrive.