Thread: Which data center will crash and burn this year?

No no i'm really handsome, all the lesbians love me.

Which data center will crash and burn this year?

Take a guess which data center will go down in flames or get seized by the FBI this year.
    It happens every year:

• EV1 and RackShack and 9,000 total servers go out in ThePlanet data center fire
    • Popular host Alphared abandons their data center, leaving customers stranded

• Authorize.net, allrecipes.com, Bing travel and thousands of others burned in Fisher Plaza data center fire
    • Sidekick users lose all data when Microsoft data center upgrade goes awry
    • 4,000 servers at Rackspace go down in four different outages
    • Most of Core IP data center seized by FBI due to one customer

• Wikipedia and many other sites go down when Amsterdam data center they colo in overheats
    • Wikipedia's OTHER data center in Florida burns
    • Quicken, Turbo Tax down for days due to power outage
    • Acronoc data center down, locked up for a week as owners flee the state

• Telecity’s Docklands data loses power to entire seventh floor, some servers damaged
    • Amazon Cloud goes offline for four days due to cascade from bad router configuration
    • FBI seizes 150 servers looking for one used by Lulz

Any predictions for the major data center catastrophies of 2011?

We actually had servers at Acronoc when they abandoned their data center, but
    although we couldn't get to our servers for a week our sites stayed up due to Clonebox.
    It was the Alphared incident two years before that had caused us to launch Clonebox immediately
    after a couple years of back burner development. Though Alphared didn't affect us directly,
    it was a wake up call that we and the webmasters we work with could no longer have their
    entire business at the mercy of a single data center.

So who do you predict will crash and burn this year? Any guesses as to the largest numbers
    of servers that will be affected by a single incident this year? My guess is 10,000 servers
    in one major data center.
    --
    Ray B. Morris
    support@bettercgi.com

Strongbox - The next generation in site security:
    http://www.bettercgi.com/strongbox/

Throttlebox - Next generation in intelligent bandwidth control
    http://www.bettercgi.com/throttlebox/

Clonebox - Next generation disaster prevention
    http://www.bettercgi.com/clonebox/

Affiliate program:
    http://www.bettercgi.com/affiliates/user/register.php

They have computers, and they may have other weapons of mass destruction x0pa's Avatar
    err that sounds horrible... didnt think that sort of stuff happened :sick:
    Dade Williams

On the other hand.... You have different fingers
    Quote Originally Posted by x0pa View Post
    err that sounds horrible... didnt think that sort of stuff happened :sick:
    Yea, I didn't either. It's sad. Very sad. To think of how many people are affected. We've been hacked which caused us about 4 days of server fixing, 4 days of no sales, 4 days of outage.
    A friend of ours in the gay industry was hacked. They were down for about 3 weeks and still fixing everything to this day.
    It's the WORST feeling in the world! It's horrible.

Not only are businesses affected by this, but people as well. Let's say a data center that hosted for instance AEBN, Hot Movies, and Hunk Money. Let's say 400 total people work for these companies. Those 400 people would be at risk of being laid off, losing their jobs, etc. due to something careless as that. It doesn't just affect a "business" but others livelihoods as well.

Makes me think that sometimes we take life for granted at times. I'm a softy when it comes to things like this.