Quote Originally Posted by nickbaer View Post
I suppose I could try $20 on this, per your example. That is pretty much what slot machines in Vegas take.
With impressions you are bidding, like an auction. Another reason why we don't do impressions.

Think magazine. Publishers charge you (and others) based on the total copies that are produced.

For example, if 10,000 are produced, they assume 8,000 of those will pick one up. Thus, they're assuming the readers will see your ad. The publisher will then draw up various advertising areas within the magazine. They factor in where the ads are, the size, and how they will profit from the overall advertisers.

That's how this works.

Objectively, you want others to click on your banners or ads. Impressions means they see it. It doesn't mean they click on it. If 100 people scroll through a web page and see your ad, there's 100 impressions.

This is why we don't do them.

One of our first advertising campaigns was with Gayadpros. We took $20.00 over to them. We bought a cam4 text ad. For the linking, we setup ourselves an affiliate account through ourself. Set our affiliate payout to $0.01 per sale (so we can track).
Off that $20 we doubled our money.
(With text ads, you have to be very precise on your wording. You have maybe 20 words max to get them to click on your ad).
That ad received 10,000 something impressions.
BUT, we weren't charged on impressions. We were charged on clicks.

HAD WE PAID for impressions, we would have lost our asses on it and the ad would have stayed up maybe 30 seconds. But the ad remained live for a day and a half.

As soon as it was about to expire, we put $50 towards the ad. This time we tripled our money.

Advertising is very much like slots. You win some, you lose some. When we first started advertising, we didn't gain every time we purchased. There were some where we made nothing and lost the cost of the ad.

Impressions are good if your coming out with a new brand. Such as the Manwin empire has Men.com. They brand that site everywhere! That may be good for them. Maybe they do want to earn their money back.

All I'm saying is be careful with impressions. I am seeing it more and more that others are doing clicks rather than impressions. We are one of them. We will never do impressions unless we are 100% confident and are sure we will at least earn back what we spent with the hopes of a profit from the promotion.

We currently have 50 something ads out running right now.
Start out small with a small budget. We took our profit plus what we spent in the first place with cam4 and put it towards another, but also yet paid for the ad to continue to run on cam4. Start small, one site(s), slowly move up.