a few tips to get started anyway...

- Think of Tumblr as a social blog of sorts.. there are 3 main functions in my opinion: #1) posting/sharing your content #2) connecting with other blogs/users (i.e. making friends) #3) sharing good content from your favorite Tumblr friends to help promote their blog (many will then return the favor)

- Pictures and Video are best (anything you post can be hyperlinked - if you are using affiliate content, this could be a good method of driving traffic)

- Add friends (i.e. other Tumblr blogs) that you are interested in and/or have similar content to yours (You can add any tumblr blog as a friend without sending a request or anything - if you have cool content, the majority of users will follow you back)

- Find a good template. There are a lot of great free templates that are simple to use and customize. If you know basic html, advertising/banners can be very easily added to you Tumblr site. If you don't like any of the default themes (i.e templates), just do a quick google search and you can find lots of other options.

- There are lots of tools and add-ons available to automatically post your content from your other non-tumblr blogs, websites, etc... to your tumblr feed. This can save a lot of time and increase your reach without a lot of housekeeping. But you need to build up a following/community in order for people to find your stuff...

- Most people will discover your content on their personal dashboard (like your facebook feed kinda). So they may not actually visit your tumblr site to click,share,interact with you content. keep this in mind as it's important to understand.

I'm reading back over this and realizing that it probably doesn't make much sense right now. ! But try it out and play around. It's super easy to set-up and you'll start to pick up how the community works really quick. Then reread these tips and hopefully they will be somewhat helpful. .

The main point I guess is to have fun with it and experiment! Also, take a look around to see how others are using their Tumblr blog - there are a lot of cool and creative people using it for both enjoyment and marketing purposes.

I'll work on a follow-up tutorial with some links to good resources... to be continued...