Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I HATE Building New Systems Anymore

They have computers, and they may have other weapons of mass destruction x0pa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nickbaer View Post
    A laptop is one-piece - if anything goes wrong, the whole thing is dead in the water, from keyboard to screen.

MacMini is separate pieces, The CPU goes in my shoulder bag, the 22-inch screen goes in my checked baggage. The DVD drive and keyboard in the other bag.

Plus, I am far sighted (in more ways than one), and I have trouble with tiny laptop screens and keys. A 22-inch laptop would be a bit of a struggle with carry-on baggage! And price match.
    well at least you got a mac
    Dade Williams

Gay Journalist and erotic video producer.
    Itinerant photographer, now in Liverpool... and on Stripchat and Streamen and Chaturbate.
    I consider my iPad as my "laptop".

I got my iPad2, 2 weeks before the rumors started about an iPad3. But I got the 3G with swappable SIM tray, for use in US and Europe, where everything is still 3G.

So I don't feel that bad.

I haven't bought my first month of 3G service for it yet here in the US. Probably at the end of the week, so it doesn't run out before I get to the airport to go back to Berlin.

http://theipad3.com/

They have computers, and they may have other weapons of mass destruction x0pa's Avatar
    but your still going to get an iPad 3 right?
    Dade Williams

Itinerant photographer, now in Liverpool... and on Stripchat and Streamen and Chaturbate.
    If the iPad 3 is 4G, then I need to wait for Europe to be 4G.

It would be a stretch to buy an iPad3 even 3G, just a month after $666US for the iPad2 3G.

I was able to sell my iPad1 WiFi last week, for half of what I paid for it, a year and a half later, but that's not looking reasonable for the month-old iPad2 3G, to get an iPad3 3G - if that's what's being sold.

I'd have to sell a bunch more DVDs and VOD minutes... although, that is not a bad idea in itself anyway!

... especially your last name is one of my ancestral last names from Liverpool...

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar
    last one I built was in 2008, and it was a piece of cake. I'm going to be shrinking my system soon, and offloading files to a home server but I wish AMD got their shit together and pushed the new Trinity CPUs out.

In terms of parts quality though, can't beat self-made PC compared to what's being sold in the stores for the same price. And the fact you get lifetime warranty on the memory sticks vs 1yr standard on a pre-made PC

Quote Originally Posted by jIgG View Post
    last one I built was in 2008, and it was a piece of cake. I'm going to be shrinking my system soon, and offloading files to a home server but I wish AMD got their shit together and pushed the new Trinity CPUs out.

In terms of parts quality though, can't beat self-made PC compared to what's being sold in the stores for the same price. And the fact you get lifetime warranty on the memory sticks vs 1yr standard on a pre-made PC
    :yeah: Yeah, the better computer for the price when you build it yourself is why I have been building them for 10 years or so, but I think I've had a "piece of cake" build MAYBE twice in all that time! There's always something that has to act ugly.

I am straight, but my ass is gay jIgG's Avatar
    hm interesting
    I built 3 so far no problems - perhaps you need to do a technology energy clearing ritual when you get them parts next time