Thread: FDA approves first pill to help prevent HIV

FDA approves first pill to help prevent HIV

The Food and Drug Administration on Monday approved the first drug shown to reduce the risk of HIV infection, a milestone in the 30-year battle against the virus that causes AIDS.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/481984.../#.UEq0SI1lQ5s

This is great news!

Stunner Media Presents 7 great programs:
    IndieBucks | StandAhead | Phoenixxx | Hunk Money | British Bucks | Emo Profits | Latino Bucks
    Lowest Minimum Payouts in the business, Perfect track record, Amazing sites

ICQ: 119276 | Skype: stunnerjesse | Email: jesse@stunnermedia.com

NEW: Follow Stunner Media on Twitter! @StunnerMediaInc

Big Hands/Big Feet=Expensive shoes & gloves!
    Not really...but I've had this discussion with so many already on this, I think I'll leave it at that.

What do you consider 'good sex'? rawTOP's Avatar

Boo Not a great idea...

Quote Originally Posted by StunnerJesse View Post
    This is great news!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mansized View Post
    Not really...
    Agreed. Not really all that great news. They're suggesting people who aren't sick go on a lifetime of expensive medications all so they can avoid a lifetime of expensive medications.

To me it violates the hippocratic oath to first do no harm. If a twink goes on it at the age of 18 and stays on until he's not so sexually active - say in his 50s... that's what 40 years of meds? What's the side effects of 40 years of HIV meds on someone who's not even sick?

I can see it for people like prostitutes who have a lot of high risk sex over a short period of time and then then there's an end. The problem with people like that is adherence - I don't know they'll take their pills every day, and if they don't, there's no point.

It doesn't make sense for people who want to be cumdump either. It's only 90% effective. Take enough loads and one will eventually get through and make you poz.

Then there's drug resistance. Someone who's not sick is not going to take the pills as religiously as someone who is. They could actually build up a drug resistance to the meds and when they do become poz, they have fewer treatment options.

For serodiscordant relationships if the poz guy is on meds and consistently undetectable there's already close to a zero chance he can pass it to his partner. If you're all that worried, why not just wear a condom?

In other words, I can't really think of anyone for whom the treatment makes sense. It can increase drug company profits substantially. But that should never be the reason to prescribe a drug. I really hope the insurance companies refuse to fund it. It just doesn't make sense.

GWW Community Member
    And what about the hump ... it took a while for guys on early cocktails to discover that they grew humps, so what are going to be the lovely side effects of this new "preventative" drug.

And why take a drug that "prevents" you from getting infected when all you need to do is wear a condom? Seems kind of silly to me. Condoms are probably just as effective, they're cheaper, and they don't have side effects unless you're allergic to them.

And like rawtop points out, it kind of lulls people into a false sense of security and it's only 90% effective.

LOVE 4 SALE OR LEASE SEX MONTHLY! :) longboardjim's Avatar
    I had to read the article 3 times and probably still didn't get it! - LOL ( interpreted: like PAUL RYAN ... err ... like a Serpent it moves right but swings left! - LOL )

so like a Condom this is a "preventive" and not a "cure" , I'm hoping People don't misinterpret this as the equivalent of "the Pill" that prevents HIV and gives the okay for barebacking.

I'm allergic to "laytex" and the "lambskins" aren't big enough for Me! ... err ... Condoms although inconvient resulting in a "rash" the next day I'm not sure what the side effects of "the Pill" would be and there's probably a cost affixed which isn't covered by Medical Insurance. ( interpreted: too much Vitamin C makes me sick ... surprisingly though double "Screwdrivers" don't - LOL )

- jim ..."sensitive Top guaranteed for one meaningful overnight relationship and then I fly at dawn never to be seen till 2 - 3 days later!"... - LOL

Quote Originally Posted by longboardjim View Post
    I'm allergic to "laytex" and the "lambskins" aren't big enough for Me! ... err ... Condoms although inconvient resulting in a "rash" the next day
    I'm finding it really bizarre that I (rawTOP) am the one doing condom education here, but.... There is a third type of condom - I believe it's made out of vinyl. The good part is that it transmits heat better than latex so feels more like raw, but the downside is that it's not as snug. I believe they come in magnums, if you need a larger size. Female condoms (also made of vinyl) are yet a fourth option and they can take a dick of any size.

Bottom line there are two types if condoms that will fit and not give you a rash. I'm flabbergasted you didn't know that. The pro-condom / HIV prevention folks have really and truly failed.

Next time you have a problem with condoms, ask a barebacker. We're better informed.

More on non-latex condoms... They're made out of polyurethane or polyisoprene.

Trojan Supra BareSkin is one type that's made out of polyurethane.

Durex Avanti Bare is another type that's made out of polyisoprene.

Then there's Lifestyles' Skyn which is also made out of polyisoprene. Unlike the first two they're able to stretch and they there's a large version...

Of course, personally, I say just fuck raw... Much easier and feels better too!