Controversial Documentary About Gay Erotic Comic Books Gets The Thumbs Up From Kickstarter

West Hollywood -- When director Robert Chandler's Kickstarter campaign for his film about gay erotic comics went live, he was worried that it might be too hot for the crowd funding platform. Instead, the documentary became a Kickstarter Staff Pick within hours.

Dirty Sexy Comics is an upcoming documentary that takes a look at gay erotic comics, the many talents behind them and their impact on gay culture and lives.

"I've loved gay erotic comics since first seeing a copy of Gay Heart Throbs at my local comics shop. I was too young to buy it then, but I never forgot it," Chandler said.

As a life-long comics fan, Chandler had always wondered who the people were that created these racy drawings and stories, many whom only listed their first name as their credit for fear of losing their jobs and being ostracized. With comic books receiving so much attention from Hollywood to academia, he knew it was time for these creators? stories to be told and this art form to be given the recognition that it deserves.

"The stories I read in these erotic comics weren't just a quick thrill to me," Chandler said. "I thought about them. I revisited them. I re-lived them when I closed my eyes at night. They were as complex, beautiful and wonderful as any of the mainstream comics or graphic novels on my shelf. I felt so privileged that these men told me their stories. Now I want to tell theirs."

Dirty Sexy Comics will take a look at gay erotic comics, past and present, tracing the roots of the medium and finding the giants of the industry. It will tell an important story about people who have been marginalized and an art form that's been ignored. The history of gay erotic comics is the history of the gay rights movement. It's a story of people who risked everything to express themselves. It's a story of rebellion, of artists refusing to conform and doing it with style and beauty.

Chandler explains, ?This is a film about the intersection of comics art and rebellious part of the gay rights movement. Gay men were drawing sexy comics before Stonewall and we haven't stopped. We don't need to conform. We should understand our sexuality, not deny it. It should be celebrated! Gay people can be whomever we really are? and we have the right to put that down on paper or pixels.?

Dirty Sexy Comics will premiere in 2016.

You can contribute to the Dirty Sexy Comics Kickstarter campaign through Sunday, November 30 2014 and come away with impressive rewards at all levels.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many of you know Robert as he is a regular contributor here on GWW. He is crowd funding a documentary about gay erotic comic books and the people who create them called Dirty Sexy Comics. It's a great story full of brilliant/smutty art, censorship, struggles, courage and fun. Did you know at one time you could get arrested just for reading an erotic comic? Crazy, right? Imagine how risky it would have been to create and distribute them!

He has 2 weeks left to meet his campaign goals! If he doesn't reach his funding goal, the project doesn't get funded and he can't make it. Please spread the word: blog, tweet, Facebook it, email blast it, write about it and tell your friends. (And check out the article about the project posted on Bleeding Cool News today! It's a HUGE comic book news site and they're writing about gay comics!)

Let Robert know if you have any questions.

CONTACT INFORMATION

Robert Chandler

RobertChandlerXXX@gmail.com