Thread: How to Avoid Duplicate Content Own Site?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Overeager Otter
    Is your site copying content from other sites, or do you have the content on your site multiple times? If it's all your own content on your own site, it's not hard to fix depending on your CMS.

On your pages, you'll want to add a tag specifying the canonical URL. Basically, you're just identifying the preferred URL for the content, regardless of whether it uses SSL or not or if your site works with or without being prefixed.

With my CMS by default it's possible for a single post to have multiple URLs. Categories and other groupings are a the example that immediately comes to mind. Just add a canonical link to the preferred URL and you're good to go.

Google has a really interesting article about how to handle duplicate content but unfortunately my account is too fresh to post URLs. It goes over additional methods such as redirection (which I use), sitemaps, or header data.

Overeager Otter
    Sorry, I kept trying to include examples and a link to the Google article but my account is too new to post URLs. It seems the system is very sensitive -- even parts of a URL blocked my post. >