Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Metrosexuals:: Stealing Gay Culture

TheLegacy

Metrosexuals:: Stealing Gay Culture

There is a new rage in American Culture, something Britain has been hip to for years. It is the rebirth of straight people as Metrosexuals. What is a Metrosexual? Well I am glad you asked!

Metrosexual: noun – a straight person who appreciates gay culture, including one or more of the following: fashion, personal hygiene, decorating, the arts, culinary arts, and social etiquette. This appreciation must come with an acceptance, not mere tolerance, for homosexuality. Ironically most meterosexuals are heterosexual men.

These tolerant and politically supportive people are breeding like, well, breeders -- thanks to hit shows like Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, Boy Meets Boy, Will and Grace, It’s All Relative, Queer As Folk, Sex in the City, Six Feet Under, and forthcoming in January, The L Word, to name just a few.

But the buzz around the rainbow community isn’t one of relief that so many heterosexuals are finally embracing queer people. In fact, some of the GLBT people are complaining that mainstream straight, white people are stealing our Queer Culture.

Whether or not you like Queer Eye for the Straight Guy and all the “Queer” shows before and after it, ask yourself this:

Have these shows done something we haven’t been able to do?
    Have they promoted true empathy at last?

http://www.365gay.com/people/Lindqui...3lindquist.htm

Jasun
    hey, what do you call a guy, then, who actually IS gay, but only wears black AC/DC or Judas Priest T-Shirts, lives in a cluttered one room apartment, playes hockey, listens exclusively metal and the Stones and generally just, while not going out of his way to "act straight", just doesn't come off as gay?

Just wondering.

TheLegacy
    A detroit red wing player?

Jasun
    A very good point. I'll order my jersey from Amazon.

i'm older than a lotta folks here, so i remember when this happened in the 70s. in the 70s, i lived in west hollywood, was underage, and everything we did at gay clubs was being mimicked by straight people all over the place. it was pretty funny, and we had to push the bar hard to shock normal people for kicks and grins.

anyone here from weho remember gino's or the bitter end west? THOSE were the days *grin*

Ounique
    I think generalizations are all pretty funny to begin with. I mean, I'm a gay man, and I had to have a straight girl friend come over and decorate my apartment. It had been clutter city until then. I wear mostly black t-shirts and jeans. I can't cook, I don't use skin creams, and I don't live at the gym. People think that all gay men are just like the Fab Five and that metrosexuals are closet cases. You just have to laugh at it all.

Jasun
    Funny, though, all of my friends are straight men, all of whom have more style and flare than I ever could. When we go out, I'm the last one anybody pegs as the gay one, meaning that my friends all get bought drinks, and I only ever get introduced to the girls they bring along.

Ah well.. I guess I could at least buy a nicer shirt or something.

BDBionic
    But will a metrosexual bend over and let me do him up the versace?

Jasun
    If you get him drunk enough.... in my exxperience, anyway.

dallahb1ll

I Wonder? Fitting In

Hey! I'm 35 and gay. Never been in the closet couldn't even tell ya what one looks like inside. My problem has been I'm either too butch for the queens or too queenie for for the butch fags. I haven't had a gay friend since 1994. I don't understand. I'm a big guy (Nords desent) 6'2 ,300lbs, shaved head, tats, piercings. Love my jeans and tees. I can cook and decorate and at the same time build furniture or wire a house. I would think folks would see my intellegence and charisma...LOL.. But nnnooo I don't fit a "TYPE" labels are bullshit!

Jasun
    So sound like my dream date.

Go figure.

of my friends who are gay men, none fit any known stereotype.

however there were certain ways we all behaved in the 70s in certain types of clubs - at least, the folks who went to those clubs did. and those were the mannerisms and dress that all the straight men (and women) borrowed.

TheLegacy
    well truth be told, I enjoy the fact that being gay is more acceptable even if it is in appearance than lets say being an asshole and treating others like shit.

was so tired of that macho crap going on that I smile when I see a guy running around getting his eyebrows waxed and looking better beside me.

Someone once said about imitation is the best form of flattery??

TheLegacy
    Originally posted by basschick
    i'm older than a lotta folks here, so i remember when this happened in the 70s. in the 70s, i lived in west hollywood, was underage, and everything we did at gay clubs was being mimicked by straight people all over the place. it was pretty funny, and we had to push the bar hard to shock normal people for kicks and grins.

anyone here from weho remember gino's or the bitter end west? THOSE were the days *grin*

well I remember the 70's quite well, Im 42 - in canada guys never acted gay instead there was much bullying and fighting going on if you were found out

TheLegacy, in that case i'm glad i was here! we all had FUN dancing till dawn every single night and then having spinach salad and iced tea at arthur j's - then waking up at 4 pm to do it all again :grin: