Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Metrosexuals:: Stealing Gay Culture

TheLegacy
    Originally posted by basschick
    TheLegacy, in that case i'm glad i was here! we all had FUN dancing till dawn every single night and then having spinach salad and iced tea at arthur j's - then waking up at 4 pm to do it all again :grin:
    sounds amazing

Have an idea and make it come to life! Gary-Alan's Avatar

Re: Fitting In

Originally posted by dallahb1ll
    Hey! I'm 35 and gay. Never been in the closet couldn't even tell ya what one looks like inside. My problem has been I'm either too butch for the queens or too queenie for for the butch fags. I haven't had a gay friend since 1994. I don't understand. I'm a big guy (Nords desent) 6'2 ,300lbs, shaved head, tats, piercings. Love my jeans and tees. I can cook and decorate and at the same time build furniture or wire a house. I would think folks would see my intellegence and charisma...LOL.. But nnnooo I don't fit a "TYPE" labels are bullshit!
    Well you have gay friends now!!! :curtain:

I had one person tell me I couldn't be gay because I was fat. And gay men don't let themselves get fat. Of course I had to tell him he couldn't be gay because gay men aren't that DUMB! LMAO

Gary-Alan

dallahb1ll
    Well thank you that's so sweet.Speaking of fat...Years ago when I was in my twenties I lived in Michigan. I was sharing a house with about 10 other queens. They used to read me all the time about my size. Well, what really pissed them off was the fact that the cute "Straight" boys always seemed to flock to me. Here I was a balding, fat queen surrounded by hot boys and the pretty cute sissies couldn't even get near them. I was myself and not afraid to be me. I kept it real and that's why the "straight" boys liked me.

Jasun
    Man, on the rare occasion I go to a gay establishment, I always get flocked by all the guys there, simply 'cuz a guy wearing a Slayer shirt in a non-ironic way with a shaved head and looking a bit overwhelmed and confused is a rarity in a gay club.

Works every time.

Oh and Legacy. I wasn't around for the 70s, but the late 80s in Toronto Rocked. We'd start at 7:00 at the Living Well and go to 7:00 at Komrads. There was that whole "just underground" thing going on. Now that it's become so mainstream here in TO, the scene is pretty boring, but at the time, it was amazing.

TheLegacy
    Originally posted by Jasun
    Oh and Legacy. I wasn't around for the 70s, but the late 80s in Toronto Rocked. We'd start at 7:00 at the Living Well and go to 7:00 at Komrads. There was that whole "just underground" thing going on. Now that it's become so mainstream here in TO, the scene is pretty boring, but at the time, it was amazing.
    Remember it well. during the 80's I was in seminary and decided to do a paper on the gay culture, it was my first time in a bar and I had a blast - but now Im in brampton and the whole scene downtown is really boring to me as well. Only time I venture downtown is when a friend is having a party.

TheLegacy

Re: Re: Fitting In

Originally posted by Gary-Alan

I had one person tell me I couldn't be gay because I was fat. And gay men don't let themselves get fat. Of course I had to tell him he couldn't be gay because gay men aren't that DUMB! LMAO

Gary-Alan
    :groovy: funniest thing today I have heard yet I still cant believe that people can be the insensitive or realize that there are as many body types to being gay as their are stripes in the rainbow. Which upsets me more - that we are so much a culture that we must now conform?? Its all about being yourself, being honest about who you are and the gift given to you rather than being another cookie cut look alike - mmmm - cookie

Its all about being yourself, being honest about who you are and the gift given to you rather than being another cookie cut look alike
    Speaking from the lesbian side of the fence ... it's pretty much the same, but there is a lot more acceptance of who you are, or what you're into, or what you look like... at least to a point. I think one of the biggest things that threw me when I first came to the internet and found the women only chatrooms was being asked if I was butch or femme. I was just "me" ... and hated having to figure out if I actually owned another "label" besides being gay.

TheLegacy
    Originally posted by LdyLnWolf1
    Speaking from the lesbian side of the fence ... it's pretty much the same, but there is a lot more acceptance of who you are, or what you're into, or what you look like... at least to a point. I think one of the biggest things that threw me when I first came to the internet and found the women only chatrooms was being asked if I was butch or femme. I was just "me" ... and hated having to figure out if I actually owned another "label" besides being gay.
    Excellent point and great site too

Excellent point and great site too
    Why thank you for taking the time to check it out! It's our first attempt ... while not a "conventional" free site (as we've since learned what they are) ... we did want to break free of traditional colors and give it a classy look... and everyone says to market the niche that best suits you! <G>

Been live about 6 weeks now, and still figuring out how to move the mousehand to the wallet! LOL

TheLegacy
    Why thank you for taking the time to check it out! It's our first attempt ... while not a "conventional" free site (as we've since learned what they are) ... we did want to break free of traditional colors and give it a classy look... and everyone says to market the niche that best suits you! <G>

Been live about 6 weeks now, and still figuring out how to move the mousehand to the wallet! LOL
    lmao... seriously it is a great site, I know a few lesbians that I will direct to it.

I find it interesting that there are no real lesbian dance clubs etc. around. I know a girl here in toronto that wants to get out, yet all she can find is gay bars and when she goes I am surprised most of the guys hit on her?? Proves my point that there are guys that only look for holes and any sex will do vs. someone who is truly gay and it goes beyond sex.

Ounique

Re: Re: Fitting In

Originally posted by Gary-Alan

Gary-Alan
    Yikes! :wtf: Well, Gary-Alan, I guess I'll see you at het strip joints then. LOL! I don't have a six-pack, I have a keg! LOL! But it's all good. I hang out with the leather crowd, so you don't really have that preconceived notion of gay men being femme there. Leather guys tend to like the masculinity of other men, so it's a nice change from the pretty boys in West Hollywood. Now don't get me wrong, I love the pretty boys and I have friends who are pretty boys, it's just that I'm not one of them and I'm not attracted to them. And not to say that there aren't femme leather guys. Honey, I could tell you stories! LOL!

lmao... seriously it is a great site, I know a few lesbians that I will direct to it.
    Well, appreciate the referal, but the site still targets sponsor content aimed at the male audience ...though I'm sure they'll enjoy most of our hosted galleries as I used pics I like! ::

I did find a small group of lesbian webmistresses who build sites FOR lesbians ... (Cyberdykes) ...eventually I'd like to do something like that, but I suspect the market there is pretty small. Not the same as building a site for het women.

I find it interesting that there are no real lesbian dance clubs etc. around.
    Unfortunately, most women's bars don't make it financially. Those that do eventually bowed to allowing gay men access as well. I've seen some mighty fine clubs bite the dust (Quest in Akron was awesome). Here in Cleveland we have ONE tiny club that is still clinging to life, but again, men are seen there just as often as the women these days. We're also out a women's/gay bookstore for lack of support and clientele ... too many either order online, or head to someplace like Borders to get books a couple bucks cheaper. Never mind the fact that you couldn't get local talent issues, attend gay book review clubs, or get small publishings of women's music from them.:embarrase

TheLegacy
    Unfortunately, most women's bars don't make it financially. Those that do eventually bowed to allowing gay men access as well. I've seen some mighty fine clubs bite the dust (Quest in Akron was awesome). Here in Cleveland we have ONE tiny club that is still clinging to life, but again, men are seen there just as often as the women these days. We're also out a women's/gay bookstore for lack of support and clientele ... too many either order online, or head to someplace like Borders to get books a couple bucks cheaper. Never mind the fact that you couldn't get local talent issues, attend gay book review clubs, or get small publishings of women's music from them.:embarrase

Here in toronto there was a club called The Rose, but it shut down, now the only lesbian get together is a bathhouse that meets every so often. Mind you for gay pride, theres quite a following. Even in telephone dating services there are gay males, but no females.. we really need to pay you girls equal!!!

Jasun
    It's not much better here in Toronto. There's 2 women's bars, and a handfull of gay book stores that cater to both men and women. There's a few "Feminist" or "Women's" book stores, but none of them are specifically "Lesbian" stores.

I miss Chez Moi.

I also miss Komrads, but that's a completely different thing.