Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Metrosexuals:: Stealing Gay Culture

Ounique
    I think LA has a few lesbian places. I went to one where they had rotating clubs (a different 'club' each night of the week) and they were doing "Girl Bar". I was the only guy there and I felt really out of place. Got a lot of nasty looks. But I just danced and had a good time. I was there with a lesbian couple I'm friends with so it was all about them.

Mind you for gay pride, theres quite a following.
    Same here! And for the annual Talent Show. Thousands come out of the woodwork and I'm standing there with my mouth open going .... where the hell are you all the other 363 days of the year??? LOL

TheLegacy
    Originally posted by Jasun
    It's not much better here in Toronto. There's 2 women's bars, and a handfull of gay book stores that cater to both men and women. There's a few "Feminist" or "Women's" book stores, but none of them are specifically "Lesbian" stores.

I miss Chez Moi.

I also miss Komrads, but that's a completely different thing.
    Jasun what are the names of the women bars?? I know two lesbians now that are dying to find one at least.

Jasun
    Oh, um... Pope Joan is over on Parliament (if it's even still there) and Tango is on Church Street. I'll tell you, though, I generally just go to Straight clubs that play Metal or Punk or Industrial, so i have no idea what either place is like. However, I have a lot of luck getting picked up at the Bovine Sex club on Queen.

My one gay club/bar night thing is when my buddies and i get together on Wednesday nights at Zeldas for Beer. It's weekly thing.

Cheap Beer. Cheaper Men.

TheLegacy
    Oh, um... Pope Joan is over on Parliament (if it's even still there) and Tango is on Church Street. I'll tell you, though, I generally just go to Straight clubs that play Metal or Punk or Industrial, so i have no idea what either place is like. However, I have a lot of luck getting picked up at the Bovine Sex club on Queen.

My one gay club/bar night thing is when my buddies and i get together on Wednesday nights at Zeldas for Beer. It's weekly thing.

Cheap Beer. Cheaper Men.
    thanks my friend - will pass along the information and have them check it out.

TheLegacy

Re: Re: Re: Fitting In

Originally posted by Ounique
    Now don't get me wrong, I love the pretty boys and I have friends who are pretty boys, it's just that I'm not one of them and I'm not attracted to them. And not to say that there aren't femme leather guys. Honey, I could tell you stories! LOL!
    Great now you got my curiousity peaked - what stories??

Now don't get me wrong, I love the pretty boys and I have friends who are pretty boys, it's just that I'm not one of them and I'm not attracted to them. And not to say that there aren't femme leather guys. Honey, I could tell you stories! LOL!

Hot coffee: check
    fresh pack of cigs: check
    Ok ... I'm all comfy ... bring em on!!

Ounique
    Originally posted by LdyLnWolf1

Hot coffee: check
    fresh pack of cigs: check
    Ok ... I'm all comfy ... bring em on!!
    LOL!!! Okay you two.

Here's a little one. Now, keep in mind that I am open minded and I like all kinds of people. It's just that some people are a walking contradiction. I was in a leather bar one time during some charity event, when these three guys were mocking the people onstage (who were all working hard and doing a great job). They all sounded like Nathan Lane in the Birdcage, very femme, kinda bitchy, saying things like "honey" and "girlfriend" and calling all the guys "girl". So I turned around to see who was making such a commotion, and there were these guys who had to be in their 50's dressed head to toe in leather, we're talkin' chaps, harnesses, boots, vests. I mean the whole nine yards. And they had bleached blond hair and plastic surgery stretching their skin within an inch of their lives. Now, all the older leather guys I know totally fit the "Daddy" roles and show their gray proudly. It was just really interesting to see these guys who totally didn't fit their look in any way shape or form. I don't think I would have even noticed them if it weren't for the fact that they were being so obnoxious. It doesn't matter what a person's physical looks are, good or bad, when you're a miserable person, you are ugly regardless.

Okay kids, story time is over. Back to work! LOL! :fracais:

TheLegacy
    I don't think I would have even noticed them if it weren't for the fact that they were being so obnoxious. It doesn't matter what a person's physical looks are, good or bad, when you're a miserable person, you are ugly regardless. :fracais:
    Never has a truer word been spoken - I sometimes use the words "ugly beautiful people". Without the attraction of personality, I dont care what they look like outside, its a trap to me.

So does this answer the metrosexual question?? Is it whats inside that matters or are they simply following a fad adorning themselves like christmas trees?? Hate to think that when someone gets their shit together and feels good about themselves automatically they turn into post FAB 5 Queer Eye For the Straight Guy!!

Ounique
    Originally posted by TheLegacy
    Never has a truer word been spoken - I sometimes use the words "ugly beautiful people". Without the attraction of personality, I dont care what they look like outside, its a trap to me.

So does this answer the metrosexual question?? Is it whats inside that matters or are they simply following a fad adorning themselves like christmas trees?? Hate to think that when someone gets their shit together and feels good about themselves automatically they turn into post FAB 5 Queer Eye For the Straight Guy!!
    Thank you TheLegacy. And you know, I don't really think that it's a fad. I think it's just that straight guys are now finding that they are allowed to like things that they would previously have been looked down upon for. Maybe it's the relaxed attitude towards gays these days. Straight men are realizing that gay men are not the sissified caricatures that you used to find in movies and TV. I mean, I remember being called a "girls best friend" once, and maybe the straigt guys realized that women found the way gay men took care of themselves attractive. I think it's pretty smart for a straight guy to say "hey, I like shopping and the opera too, now I can take my girlfriend and not feel embarrassed".

The funny thing is that this has been going on in Hollywood years before it caught on in the mainstream. I remember reading an article in a gay magazine about five years ago (just before I moved here) that said something about being carefull of who you hit on because even the straight guys look gay here. LOL!!!

BDBionic
    omg I'm way too lazy to catch up on the discussion in this thread! *leaves*

Jasun
    It's actually been going on for years in Toronto, too. It's been tough telling if guys are gay or European.

And the guy who sits at the desk next to me is the gayest guy in the office, but is one of two straight guys here.

Go figure.

Have an idea and make it come to life! Gary-Alan's Avatar
    The funny thing is that this has been going on in Hollywood years before it caught on in the mainstream. I remember reading an article in a gay magazine about five years ago (just before I moved here) that said something about being carefull of who you hit on because even the straight guys look gay here. LOL!!!
    You know it's funny becasue the same thing has been going on for years with people I know. When I was in NY most men, 35 and under didn't have a hard time discussing moisturizers, conditions and the like. At that time I thought of myself as a manicure queen - weekly manicures, pedicures and facials. I was more surprised when I found a place closer to the office that most of the straight men I worked with came too. We'd make appointments and all go together.

If they could see my split ends now they'd be laughing I'm sure.

We did talk about where the idea that it was ok to "primp" came from at one point. And it seemed that everyone's mom made it clear that men should not fear having fun with their hair (color it, cut it, gel it whatever), get manicures it makes you look good and the like. I know my mom always made it clear to her three boys that it perfectly ok to do all of this. But it was great to hear that it came from others as well.

In the mid 80's we used to have a joke that came from a line in Torch Song Triology "... then you go into the bathroom and there is a dish with all these colored soaps, hair conditioners and face creams for miles." But it's not only a gay thing, you can find them in your straight friends bathrooms too LOL

Gary-Alan

TheLegacy
    And the guy who sits at the desk next to me is the gayest guy in the office, but is one of two straight guys here.

Go figure.

My guess hes playing hard to get - show a bit of leg hun :groovy:

TheLegacy
    Originally posted by Gary-Alan
    When I was in NY most men, 35 and under didn't have a hard time discussing moisturizers, conditions and the like. At that time I thought of myself as a manicure queen - weekly manicures, pedicures and facials.

In the mid 80's we used to have a joke that came from a line in Torch Song Triology "... then you go into the bathroom and there is a dish with all these colored soaps, hair conditioners and face creams for miles." But it's not only a gay thing, you can find them in your straight friends bathrooms too LOL

Gary-Alan
    I grew up in a small german mennonite town called Kitchener where the only good thing to come out of it was the highway to Toronto. Something like that would never happen, although I wish it would have. I didnt really start having fun till I hit Toronto in the early 80s and even though I was in seminary I would sneak out to visit the gay bars around town (*saying I was doing a paper on the culture) but always felt more at home with those who were real and honest with who they were - it was very liberating.