Thread: Need Advice:: Anyone Else Own A Moluccan Cockatoo

TheLegacy

Need Advice:: Anyone Else Own A Moluccan Cockatoo

I have a moluccan cockatoo named Jasper ( 7 months old), is there anyone else who has a bird who could give advice regarding moving to a new home?

This sunday Im moving into a condo, but its cold as hell outside and I dont want it to get sick - outside of wrapping it up in a thick blanket are there any other things I should look into to make sure it arrives safely??

Have an idea and make it come to life! Gary-Alan's Avatar
    Well we discussed the fact I WANT one but I'm sure that doesn't count.

I tried to look some things up in google and there is jsut so much info out there it's not funny. Unfortunately, I coudn't readily find anything in the care sections on this topic.

Anyone have a clue? Or anything to share?

GA

TheLegacy
    Originally posted by Gary-Alan
    Well we discussed the fact I WANT one but I'm sure that doesn't count.

I tried to look some things up in google and there is jsut so much info out there it's not funny. Unfortunately, I coudn't readily find anything in the care sections on this topic.

Anyone have a clue? Or anything to share?

GA
    thanks for checking anyways.. I do appreciate your effort. So when are we going to chat next?? hehehe. I enjoy our friday evening chit chats

I have a pretty good size aviary and I've had to move my kids in cold weather so here's what I've done:

1. remove anything that can shake loose during the transport from his cage.. dishes toys water etc

2. cover him over a good hour before moving him to the car.

3. pre-warm the car

4. if possible, move cage to car, and leave it running with him in it and monitor his activity -- distress signs over engine noise etc... depending on the time factor, you may need to repeat this process over a few days til he behaves calmly

5. try to secure the cage with a seat belt or rope so there is minimal sliding ... if it's a big cage, possibly consider using a smaller one that could ride beside you on passenger seat so you can take quick peeks to see he's ok, and talk to him! Hearing your voice will help the drive go smoothly.

good luck!

BDBionic
    I don't know of this helps or is all that informative a response, but...

WHAT A CUTE FUCKIN BIRD!!!! HEHEEEEE!!!!!

I want one now!!! That's adorable. I figure that picture isn't of your actual bird but just an example photo you found, but it's precious!

My only pets - apart from the ants that have recently invaded the kitchen - are a pair of California newts. Ace and Gary. The Amphibiously Gay Duo.

Not only are they cute and easy to care for, but I rescued them from a friend who captured the poor little guys in the wild and had them living in a little jar. So I went out and got a huge 50 gallon tank and put in smooth gravel, water, plants, rocks, logs, and ferns.
    Unfortunately, I can't take them out of the tank and play with em. They're highly poisonous. Their skin secretes the same toxin the Japanese puffer fish does - a central nervous toxin that causes paralysis and death. They ain't cuddle buddies!

Their tank has become it's own ecosystem. A mushroom forest has sprouted next to the logs. Spores from a fern I placed on top of the tank fell in to and gestated within it, creating a little fern forest. Algae and moss grow one some of the rocks in the water, which itself circulates through a filtration system and the pattern of rocks and gravel like a little stream complete with calm ponds and wading areas. (california newts are, of course, amphibious - living in water half the year and land the other half. Just recently and right on schedule, they returned to being predominantly aquatic right on schedule after being terrestrial since May.) They have an algae and bloodworm food supply that reproduces on it's own so I haven't had to "feed" them in months, as the bloodworms are eaten and reproduce at a sustainable rate.

It's really quite neat. I love my Ace and Gary.
    We'll find out in the next couple months - as their return to the water coincides with reproduction/mating season - if one is male and one is female and I end up with a whole gaggle of newts!
    This ain't them but here's a pic of what they look like:

TheLegacy
    that picture isnt my bird but identical. Wonderful peach colours.

thanks for all your help, was also planning on taking a hot water bottle wrap it in a towel to warm up the carrying case so she will have moist air.

Wish me luck and thank you again **kisses**

I have to laugh at this thread....we have swarms of cockatoos that live around here in the wild and they are the LOUDEST fucking birds around...especially at about 6 in the morning when they tend to fly around in flocks and play chasing games. Yes they are very pretty but they are over the top at times. Have you ever seen the black cockatoos? Those are beautiful creatures. They soar amazingly around the skys and travel in packs. I usually only get to see them just before it is going to rain out, but when I do I really enjoy it.

Plus we have somewhere around 100 geckos living in/on/around our house, plus several hundred newts, skinks, etc. Those guys are pretty kewl since they eat up loads of bugs, but they also like to get chatty at around 1 or 2 am. I also hear them running across the walls at night, its hilarious!

I will have to post some pics of the wild life around here, maybe it will tempt some of you guys to come down to Australia and check things out.

cheers,

Luke

Big Hands/Big Feet=Expensive shoes & gloves!
    Originally posted by Chilihost
    I have to laugh at this thread....we have swarms of cockatoos that live around here in the wild and they are the LOUDEST fucking birds around...especially at about 6 in the morning when they tend to fly around in flocks and play chasing games. Yes they are very pretty but they are over the top at times. Have you ever seen the black cockatoos? Those are beautiful creatures. They soar amazingly around the skys and travel in packs. I usually only get to see them just before it is going to rain out, but when I do I really enjoy it.

Plus we have somewhere around 100 geckos living in/on/around our house, plus several hundred newts, skinks, etc. Those guys are pretty kewl since they eat up loads of bugs, but they also like to get chatty at around 1 or 2 am. I also hear them running across the walls at night, its hilarious!

I will have to post some pics of the wild life around here, maybe it will tempt some of you guys to come down to Australia and check things out.

cheers,

Luke
    Don't forget the snakes that climb walls and visits your home INSIDE also! Yes, it's such a mellow enviornment for anyone with phobias!

snakes and spiders, both very deadly! Actually, we just saw a snake this morning, it looked like it might have been an eastern brown (very very deadly) but not 100% since I did not dare go close enough to it.

cheers!

Luke

saw a snake this morning, it looked like it might have been an eastern brown (very very deadly)
    Isn't that the wrong kinda "snake" for you to be playing with??

:devil:

TheLegacy
    Im impressed, it only took around 8 posts to turn a plea from me regarding a helpless exotic creature of the sky to talking about dick. LOL

You sick bastards LMAO