Thread: Video Encoding/Decoding

Xstr8guy

Video Encoding/Decoding

What does everyone use to rip DVD's and get them in a compact form for your websites?

I recently purchased Dr. DivX and Wildform FlixPro. Dr. DivX works great for ripping, but I need to encode them into another format because DeluxePass doesn't allow DivX movies on their servers(they suggest the Xvid codec). Deluxe Pass is a movie AVS that has a freehost.

Ok, so I have the video ripped from DVD, but I want to put the videos on some sites where I actually have to pay the hosting bill. So super high quality video/large file size is out of the question. I have used M$ Movie Maker 2 to convert to .wmv and I like the file size and quality.

But that leaves my members areas urls unprotected because you can't view .wmv's if the directory is protected by .htaccess. So I bought FlixPro that converts movie files in Flash movies... Flash movies play in .htaccess protected areas, don't they. But so far, I can't get it to function properly... the video looks nice, but it takes FOREVER to convert the files! Also, the files are way bigger than a comparable .wmv file.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions? My movie sites are kicking ass and I want to safely expand my empire!

Zappu
    Reagrding hotlinking and direct access try this little snippet

Add the Following inside your Head Tags from the page where you link from: (change | to < and >)
    |SCRIPT LANGUAGE="javascript"|
    var expires = new Date();
    expires.setTime(expires.getTime() + 6 * 60 * 60 * 1000);
    document.cookie = "id=valid; path=/" + "; expires=" + expires.toGMTString();
    |/SCRIPT|

Add the folowing to the directories with your Movies in it, into your .htaccess file.

RewriteEngine on
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://([a-z0-9-]+\.)*your-domain.com/ [NC]
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_COOKIE} !(^|(.+*)id=valid(;.*|$)
    RewriteRule /* http://www.your-domain.com/no-cookies.html [R,L]

I think this will help you a little

Xstr8guy
    Thanks Zappu. How does this work?

Zappu
    It's easy. within the page where you link to the videos, you set the cookie. The videos should be in another directory as the html sources. This directory you keep save by the .htaccess code.

Whenever a user links to the videos who has no cookie, he will be redirected to the page you will define.
    That's it

Xstr8guy
    Thanks... I'll give it a try.

RickUK
    I have found that it seems to be enough just putting the following in the header of the page (in the members area) which links to the WMV files that are also in the members area and I put nothing in the htaccess... Don't ask me how or why that works :-)

|SCRIPT LANGUAGE="javascript"|
    // Calculate the expiration date
    var expires = new Date ();
    expires.setTime(expires.getTime() + 10 * 60 * 60 * 1000);
    document.cookie = "id=valid; path=/" + "; expires=" + expires.toGMTString();
    |/SCRIPT|

I have experimented with converting video to Flash using Kibisis and compared to WMV, the file sizes with Flash are considerably larger for similar image quality. A pity as Flash delivery would be great. However there alkso seem to be issues with the sound if people pause the movie (it loses sync).

Currently I encode to WMV and also offer downloads in MPEG1 and XVID (which is MPEG4) with sound encoded as MP3. MPEG1 files always end up about 25% larger to get quality that is near the other two formats.